If STNG were remastered...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jun 20, 2008.

1. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. I still say TNG is fine, maybe 10-15 years down the road it could be remastered. I'm sure by then what made TNG great would be considered old school sci-fi. I never really had any problems with 24th century effects.

2. Bosch571

Bosch571 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The idea of course is to make them air able in HD, except for some S1 effects and a few reused matte paintings the is little need to remaster them.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

With shows that have this much stock footage...there's *always* a need for remastering.

4. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

I know I'm kind of late to this discussion but I would like to chime in here if I can.

I think that if the picture quality of TNG could be improved I would be for a remastered version but not necessarily to see sfx replaced. All I would care for is a "cleaner" picture. However, from what I understand the original tape source is the real problem and it is unlikely TNG will get remastered because of that reason.

I am not for replacing CGI effects and such as I think that the show does and should stand on it's own. What if someone had wanted to redo all the sfx in the three Flash Gordon serials from the 1930's? I think it would be an outrage! The main thing to me is not how cool and updated the sfx are but do they help tell the "story"? Yes...it's the story that is important and all this modern day crap about improving the sfx etc. does nothing for the "story". TNG is a product of it's "time". Just as Flash Gordon was a product of it's time. I say leave the work alone! It's like someone thinking they could improve a Rembrandt for crying out loud! Now that I'd like to see! (He says sarcastically)

Kevin

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

While I doubt there is any call for it, 1930s FX COULD be replaced if it were done with a 30s feel and if it matched the era, much in the way TOS-R had muted FX instead of Enterprise quality work.

Actually FX CAN improve story-TELLING if the new images can make the script payoff....TOS-R's Galileo 7 for example. But if you can improve ONE element out of all that go into production (ie: sound, visuals, lighting, cinematography, etc) then why not.

RAMA

6. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

The real question would be "why"? If you are going to waste money, time and effort then you might as well remake the damn thing. I think it's quite arrogant to think that you can actually improve an author's work. To me it's the same as suggesting that someone try and improve The Lord of The Rings books. They are a product of their time and what we need to do, instead of trying to "improve" them, is educate our young people about history and how to place things within the context of their time. This "old is boring" crap is for the birds! To me it speaks about how we have let down our younger people in not giving them a proper education. The video game generation is a sorely lacking in values and how to hold on to and embrace the past and yet move forward.

Kevin

7. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would very much like to see a remastered release. New effects, HD resolution, bring it on. Would be very welcome and they would have my money.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It costs a LOT less to remake a few FX than to start up production from square one!

From a technical standpoint, I think it doesn't matter if they are a product of their time...if its quality work, something like ST lends itself very well to "tinkering" because it IS good. If the story doesn't need "fixing" but you CAN increase the validity of the visual aspect of the production then it should be responsibly remade by motivated individuals.

RAMA

9. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Yes, damn those people who released a the new German translation of The Lord of the Rings a few years back.
    The arguments of those who wanted to cling to the old translation over the new and improved one where quite similar to those here about TOS-R.

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Tread carefully there, now laddie. This is the kind of thinking that got us the King James Version of the bible, which from what my biblical scholar friends tell me, is the most fucked-over reinterpretation of all time, and is probably responsible for more pointless deaths and meaningless wars than we can count or imagine.

Those are the kind of improvements nobody needs or should want, because it becomes a matter of not just ignore the facts and print the legend, but 'live like the legend or we'll cut your throat.'

11. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

The new translation is obviously closer to the original English - an improvement.
    It is therefor better. But 'purists' (like yourself) who cannot cope with the changes (even for the better) still insist that one doesn't meddle with the original translation.

12. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

Actually, if you're a fan of truly classic television, then HD programming might produce a revival of the eras you enjoy.

The fact is that there are forty years worth of various television broadcasts that were shot and produced on film prior to the "video revolution" of the eighties. Shows shot and produced on film will be relatively easy to transfer to HD, since the source material (barring age degradation) is of higher quality.

The problem we're running into with shows like Star Trek: The Next Generation, is that while the show was shot on film, it was produced on video. All of the special effects work was created with a medium that produces very low-quality images and degrades rapidly. The Next Generation is lucky, though; other shows that were shot entirely in video have little chance of an HD release, and may very well fall by the wayside over the next twenty years.

Unfortunately, replacing the special effects work is going to be key to the survival of this series, both so that it can continue to be broadcast and so that newer generations will even give it a shot. It's not just a case of attracting "Joe Six-Pack;" folks of all backgrounds have difficulty swallowing some of the older effects (my girlfriend sits and chuckles when we watch the original Star Wars together, but she loves the visuals on the new ones).

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I don't know the history on Tolkien, and furthermore, not being into that kind of fantasy, I don't really care either.

Retaining or enhancing accuracy SHOULD BE the ideal on any revisiting, just it rarely seems to shake down that way ... as a result, the new inaccuracies introduced create the need for such purists, to try and retain or uncover some more truthful original record.