J.J. admits keeping Khan's identity a secret was a mistake

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M.A.C.O., Dec 3, 2013.

1. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have at least thought it to be clever, in a meta sort-of-way, if Harrison had been a Khan clone.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the problem. Star Trek has a rich backstory to draw from and they would be foolish not to. But then they run the risk of being more rehashes that something original And I enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness very much.

The one storyline I wish they would ditch for the next movie is the "bad man with a big gun." That has literally been the premise of the last three films going back to Nemesis. Enough with the superships already. How about we have the Enterprise in an actual firefight with a real ship?

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Abrams movies do tend to be simply a checklist of all the various ingredients that are believed to pull in lots of money at the box office. And for the most part, I guess he does pull in money, even if the movies are very shallow and one note. Sure STID is a blast to watch once, even I gave it a glowing and positive review when I saw it in theatres. But on subsequent viewings, it doesn't really hold up that well.

Admittedly, given that most of the recent Trek movies have in some way ripped off TWOK and the villains are mostly Khan knock-offs it's good that they finally have used Khan as the villain and re-hashed TWOK just so they can finally get that out of their system.

4. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don´t know if someone has already said it but in my opinion, Cumberbatch played an augment, created a character so brilliantly and shaped it in his own way that he didn’t need to be Khan.

5. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I don't think Shinzon in himself is really that much of a Khan ripoff. I think the whole story of Nemesis definitely did take a lot of cues from the story Wrath of Khan though. That's probably part of the reason Shinzon gets likened to him.

The new villain didn't necessarily have to be Khan, but there probably would have been comparisons if he wasn't. I'm sure the next villain will be compared too... especially if they can't stop doing the madman who wants to destroy Earth type junk.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shinzon's character isn't a Khan rip off, but Shinzon's role in the film was a Khan ripoff.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I didn't like the movie, but it had nothing to do with the inclusion of Khan. Mostly it was the fact that we got the exact same plot -- Evil Bad Guy[TM] from another time is out for revenge -- two films in a row. Something a little more imaginative would be nice for the next film.

8. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

No.

Fanboy rage did nothing to harm Iron Man 3, and fanboy fawning did nothing to help Pacific Rim. Star Trek is no different.

Abrams' inference that Hollywood simply doesn't give a shit about fan opinion may have been his only entirely truthful statement in that interview.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Iron Man 3 profited from goodwill toward The Avengers.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then, why won't Thor 2, to the same degree?

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Because of Iron Man 3?

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, so IM3 is #1 for reasons besides just goodwill to The Avengers.

13. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would a movie without Khan have been more successful at the box office? I think the inclusion of Khan muddled the plot more than helped it. And since Khan wasn't even used as a marketing tool to begin with, I don't see why it truly helped.

Did the majority of fans "really" want Khan or was it more that Abrams and co. assumed that fans wanted Khan? I think a few people wanted him, but I think it's more the latter. I suspect the Abrams brain trust were under some notion that they were giving a valentine (lol Enterprise) to the fans, like they were doing us a favor or something. I think that most of us would prefer that the past remain the past and that the Trekiverse move on to brave new things.

Hollywood always seems to do this. It's like it has this remake mentality where they constantly want to push the old and familiar on to us. But they rarely replicate the old magic, and it often comes across as a pale imitation. Superman Returns suffered from this, so did Prometheus, and so did this film.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Khan himself weighs in...

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/sc...k-darkness-villain-mystery-calls-jj-dick.html

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ That is brilliant.

16. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I wondered if maybe King Daniel invented that quote just as parody. But there it is in the article. My respect for Cumberbatch just went up like a good stock to even jest that Abrams is a dickhead. Which he is. As with all humor, there has to be some truth for it to be funny and the article went on to illuminate Cumberbatch's play on that. Nice work all around, unless GFR is a parody site like Onion - I don't know..

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Er, no, you're taking this completely out of context. Anyone with an ounce of sense (or who is not already extremely biased and a self-proclaimed Abrams-hater as you seem to be) can see that Cumberbatch feels nothing of the sort toward Abrams. His quote is analogous to me calling my deceased wealthy father a "dickhead" for only leaving me 99 million dollars in his will instead of a hundred million.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not really a parody site—they do report legitimate sci-fi entertainment and science news stories—but they are known on occasion to be rather irreverent. This would be one such occasion. Probably.

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/about-us
    http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/

19. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Well, in my opinion, what's really brilliant is that Cumberbatch impersonator they got in to read their script for that fake interview (about half-way down the page). Now he's fantastic! Where did they find that guy?

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If he truly thought Abrams was a dickhead, why would he want to work with him again? Supposedly, he's already signed on for Star Wars: Episode VII and has said he'd like to play Khan again.