Tonsillectomies

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Peach Wookiee, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Guys, I'm hoping you can tell me your experiences regarding the removal of tonsils. I'm potentially facing removal of mine since they get infected and are possibly partly blocking my sinuses. Yes, they are that big.
    So what can I expect?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I got mine removed when I was 20. The surgery itself went fine, but the two week recovery was easily the most painful time of my entire life. I lost 30 pounds because I literally could not swallow anything.

After one week, the scab fell off while I was sleeping, and I woke up choking on a pool of blood.

Have fun! :D

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was 6 when I had mine out (as well as Adenoids). I don't recall it being too bad, but there was a lot of ice cream so I guess solid food was an issue for a little while.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's amazing how much easier the recovery process is for children. I know several kids who have gotten their tonsils removed since I had mine done. They have a rough first day, but by Day 2 they're off running around like nothing happened.

I was promised lots of ice cream, but trying to swallow it hurt more than anything else!

5. Peach Wookiee

30 pounds? :D That part I wouldn't mind!

Did they use the traditional scalpel method or was it done with lasers?

ETA: Sorry, that did seem a bit glib... :(

I'm not eager for what I've read about the pain or recovery time; in fact, a possible month down scares me! I've had pain with a badly broken ankle and my appendix. If I could come into the ER under my own power with the second, should I be afraid of the pain in a consolidating if that's what happens?

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Lasers, I believe. Cauterized the wounds as they went.

Honestly, while the recovery was awful, I would gladly go through it again. I used to get majorly sick at least 3 times a year, usually with strep throat. Since having my tonsils removed 9 years ago, I have gotten sick 3 times total.

7. Peach Wookiee

I'm tired of losing my voice and varying between strep, staph and God knows what else in my throat and sinuses about twice a year. This current crap started in November. I got on steroid nasal spray and antibiotics. The infection in my sinuses came back in December and I waited to deal with it until my better insurance kicked in. I did two rounds of antibiotics and kept up with the spray and thought it was dead. I was wrong. My voice went out on me last week and my dad has to call and see if he can get me a prednisone prescription. I'm already planning a trip to an ENT, though I have to get my voice back to call...

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I was in my 30s when mine came out. Surgery was quick and I also lost weight because of the inability to eat anything solid for 2 weeks. It wasn't near 30 lbs, though. I lived on popsicles, puddings, ice cream etc. Lots and lots of pain meds.

9. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was somewhere between 11 and 14 when I had mine out.

There were lots of popsicles. Since that's the only thing that stands out about it I guess it was overall a positive experience. :D

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

The stories here are freaky. I haven't had my tonsils out, and at age 44, I hope they never need to because I'm so much older now than the others in this thread! I had no idea it was that painful!

I don't get sick much, but the last time I needed antibiotics (literally 25 years ago) it was for tonsilitis. In fact, I had a couple of rounds with it and was worried I'd have to have them out. But, it passed thank goodness.

Mr Awe

11. Peach Wookiee

I've heard and read the freaky stories online. I'm just so tired of the constant hits to my throat....

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure it's one of those things that is worth doing for the long run benefits despite the major short-term inconvenience.

13. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I had my tonsils out when I was 10. I remember lots of popsicles and chicken soup as I couldn't swallow well for a few weeks.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I was pretty into bodybuilding at the time, so I went from eating ALL THE TIME to eating absolutely nothing. Most of the weight I lost was muscle. :(

15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I was only seven. The main thing I remember, other than being terrified in the hospital, is that my parents had stocked up on ice cream, but the first food I asked for when I got home was a dill pickle. I guess I didn't hurt too badly.

16. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Think I was 7 or 8. I remember the first couple of days pretty much sucked, but after that things got better quickly.

17. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I also had mine out as a child, and AFAIK there were no complications -- just a hell of a sore throat for the next few days.

And they did give me ice cream. Don't know if they still do that.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pr8omZImvY[/yt]

18. Peach Wookiee

I'm really beginning to wish that my childhood doc had recommended it. But he said not to do it unless they gave me trouble.... And what happens less than 30 years later?!

19. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I hope everything works out for you, Peach. Maybe you can get a Vader style vocoder while you're recovering. ;)

20. Peach Wookiee

If it adds to my usual volume when I have no voice, that's a marked improvement. Seriously, right now, whispering equals yelling!