Spoilers TF: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Sep 17, 2013.

?

Rate The Crimson Shadow.

1. Outstanding

80 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. Above Average

30 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. Average

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: TF: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack - Review Thread (Spoilers!

No one has gotten the kindle version yet?

2. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Please stop trying to change things. In threads about new books, it's the norm to put spoilers in spoiler tags no matter that the thread title does say (Spoilers!). It's been done that way for a long time and if you somehow manage to change that, you'll find more people leaving or not participating in the new book threads. So just leave well enough alone.

3. JWolf

Even better yet, nobody has gotten the ePub version.

The eBooks come out on the release date which is the last Tuesday of the month. I'm not sure the release schedule for eBook only Trek books. The pBooks are staggered.

4. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Looking forward to it, tho the cover looks pretty bleh.

5. JWolf

I'm wondering what Cross Cult's cover will look like.

6. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

If I remember correctly you were told in another thread by a moderator to stop telling people what to do. I want to read in this thread about The Crimson Shadow. Not another thread hijacked by spoiler discussion. We have another thread for that.

7. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

FWIW, when I put "Spoilers!" in those thread titles (which I didn't come up with, but adopted from earlier established practice) it's with the understanding that the purpose of the thread is to post reviews, and I think trying to do an effective review frequently calls for referencing and disclosing plot details. At the same time I think it's nice practice to be a little cautious with giving away major plot relevations before the street date or in the early days of a publication.

8. Zedferret

Zedferret Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It depends on what this thread is really. Is it a book review thread? Then spoilers should be hidden as review shouldn't ruin the book for other people. If it is a thread for the discussion of plot points and general on going storylines then spoilers should be expected.

The title says review thread. That means to me, cover up spoilers, people come here to read reviews of the book, not a storyline breakdown, just like film critics don't tend to give away spoilers in movies.

Maybe there should be a thread for 'The Fall' storyline discussion.

9. Sho

It's a book review thread with a "Spoilers!" warning, that should more or less set your expectations for what the reviews are allowed to do :).

And I think there's a wide range between spoiler-free reviews and "storyline breakdowns". The kind of review I like reading most is a review that discusses a novel's story in a meaningful way, ponders what it has to say and how it stands in relation to other things, real or not - and while that usually necessitates spoilers, it's a far cry from a mere plot summary.

My understanding is that in the past, there were often two review threads opened, one with a spoiler warning and one without. The spoiler-free ones seem to have died away at some point - presumably because the fragmentation was undesirable and folks found the spoiler-free format too stifling. Remember also that discussion is the point of a discussion board, posting isn't a one-way street so it's not just about the reviews but also about the constraints for the dialog - posting a spoiler-free review is one thing, disagreeing with it without referencing plot details to build an argument is often harder. So while of course it's possible that the audience and preferences have shifted now, it also seems possible we're repeating a conversation that has already run its course.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  10. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

The title also says 'spoilers'.

I mean, Jesus, is this becoming a thing where people walk into a thread clearly marked for spoilers and insist that everyone tag the spoilers? If you don't want to be spoiled, don't go into a thread marked 'spoilers'!

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picked up my copy today. Was almost in tears by the end of it...and this is not a complaint.

More after I've further ruminated...

12. JWolf

In the past, these threads on new books with polls, the spoilers were marked with spoiler codes even though the thread was marked (Spoilers!). People were being polite and doing this so major spoilers didn't get seen out in the open.

There's no reason to buck what's been working and start having open spoilers where we didn't used to have them. People who are used to these threads won't be expecting open spoilers. So the best solution (IMHO) is to just keep these sorts of threads the way they've been for the good of everyone.

13. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This doesn't bode well for me. I teared up during the Neverending Sacrifice and the end of Brinksmanship.

14. Shane Houston

The way these threads have worked for years is that we discuss the actual book. I want to know about Una's book. Not read post after post about spoilers when in fact you have a seperate thread for it.

Why do you insist on ruining these review threads by derailing them? Damn, you beat this horse enough.

DEWline, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this book and why it made you cry!

15. Sho

^ Sorry, I must have missed the other thread (this month is crazy-busy for me, also why the review thread itself was a bit late). But I agree, let's focus on the book.

16. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Okay, this needs to stop.

Point number 1: If someone chooses to put their remarks inside spoiler code they are perfectly at liberty to do that, even in a thread marked spoilers. it's their choice.

Point number 2: If a thread is marked spoilers in the title then it is allowed for spoilers to be discussed openly within the thread.

This is how it works. It might not be how it worked in the past but it's how it works now.

Both of you, JWolf and Dimesdan, need to get out of the habit of telling people what to do. It's not appreciated. You've both been asked to stop before, now you get an infraction for it.

This derailing of threads for discussions about spoilers needs to stop. There's the thread for spoiler discussion - take it there.

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let me put it this way: one of the leads of this book has been on a journey for a good long while, and this is a big milestone in their life. Knowing something of where they've been along the way to this point, and the work they've put into self-improvement, there's a lot emotionally invested.

It's a triumph of sorts, for all that it could still go horrifically awry...or straight to further glory.

Call them celebratory tears. At least for now.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Comments deleted. I wrote the post before Trampledamage's post.

19. Shane Houston

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Now I want this book more than I wanted the new gold IPhone 5. Ha. But really, I'm bursting to know which character it was that touched you so much.

20. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just finished and absolutely loved this.

I'm never been massively interested in the Cardassians but thought this did an exceptional job in portraying the stresses and strain their society has been under for the last decade.

Like Book 1 this also had large proportions of the narrative being carried by less familiar characters but it did so much more effectively.

I had to stop reading and get off the train just before

the beam out into the HARF compound with the little girl

and I was desperate to know what happened - just one of many excellent sequences!

Also unlike book 1 it told a really interesting story while still leaving a few threads for the rest of the series such as why the Enterprise has been sent where it has been next.

I suppose there was a slight bit of disappointment in the ending

After all that build up the end felt a bit easy initially as the threat was dealt with a handful of people including Garak standing up to be counted but even that is a credit to how well the author sold the threat of The True Way and actually the key thing is they are just manipulators at the end - they require other people to do their dirty work and the people to go along with them unknowingly so they can be stopped by people making the right choices.

Anyway loved it and after the disappointing Book 1 I'm back to being really enthused about this series.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013