Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I plan on reading the X-books, Avengers series, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four starting before Civil War, and at least going into Secret Invasion. I just wasn't sure if I could get away with just reading those without the main event series. I'll probably read the events too, but I wasn't sure if I would be lost if I decided to just read the tie-ins from those series.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Spider-Man one is critical to me since Peter at the time was Tony's protege and very much involved in the lead up to the Superhero Registration Act.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't bother with the Avengers tie-ins. They don't lead anywhere and are contradicted later by Bendis. The X-Men tie-in was in a mini. The main books didn't really tie-in. The only relevant FF tie-in was the first issue by Dwayne McDuffie.

For Spider-Man only the ASM stuff mattered.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah cool, thanks. I'll try to remember that when I start reading the Marvel stuff.

6. Turtletrekker

Yeah, Bendis' tie-ins tend to be very dependent on the main event. There are single issues worth reading though. The Civil War issue of New Avengers focusing on Luke Cage was arguably one of the very best things to come out of Civil War.

7. Turtletrekker

Wolverine and the X-Men 11 was alright. It was dependent on knowing what was going on in the main book, but did actually add a few layers to Wolverine's motivations. It takes place after Hope picked up Logan in the Antarctic, but before they steal the AIM ship to go to the moon. For those who wondered why when in AvX 4, Wolverine had Hope at his mercy and decided not to kill her when that had been his stated goal along, you get your answer. Just simply-- he couldn't do it. He is in the business of saving kids now, and felt that the Avengers are the best hope to do so without killing or exploiting her.

I loved Iceman's fight with Red Hulk. They have said in the past that Iceman is "Omega Class", but this is one of the first times that I've believed it as presented.

X-Men: Legacy 267 was better. It was less dependant on the main story, and got into the head of Rogue as her past conflicts with the Avengers haunt her memories. By the end of the story, any pretense the school may have had about neutrality is gone as the faculty sends the Avengers packing. It seems pretty much that Kitty and Sam are staying at the school, mostly for the kids sake, but more and more teachers are joining the fight.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, best part of Wolverine and the X-Men was Iceman vs Red Hulk. Legacy was pretty good too. liked Rogue struggling to get Moon Knight's personality under control.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read any X-Men titles since Hope got back from bouncing around the Universe with Cable. I feel I have a lot of catching up to do.

10. TheGus251

TheGus251 Ensign Newbie

oh man, this would be absolutely unbelievable if it ever became a movie especially in Whedon's hands again, my only question mark would be the time devoted to each character i.e. would a 2 hour movie be sufficient to give all characters a fair crack of the whip?

11. Turtletrekker

Perhaps luckily, we'll never know. The film rights to X-Men and Avengers belong to different studios.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing Chris Evans tearing James Marsden a new asshole :p

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jim's dead.

Unless you're wanting a reboot?

14. Turtletrekker

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I don't acknowledge that "movie."

16. Admiral_Young

^ You can share my signature if you want ;)

17. Turtletrekker

18. Admiral_Young

As Agent Smith might say..."It is inevitable."

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Out this week, Avengers Vs. X-Men #5, drawn by John Romita, Jr., scripted by Matt Fraction:

Well...

The Avengers lose.

It's a pretty thin comic, to be honest. It's probably wordier than any of the issues thus far, and Hope's narration of the events is pretty compelling.

Here's what bothered me...

The story hinges on characters doing really stupid things.

Hope begs Wolverine to kill her, but when Cyclops blasts him he decides to turn his back on Hope and kill Cyclops instead, which leads to bad things.

I'm not sure what Tony Stark's Iron Gundam was trying to accomplish, and it seems to have made a bad situation worse.

The biggie, though. Everyone on the Moon understands that Hope does not want the Phoenix. She says it quite loudly, and it's clear that everyone understands that. And yet Cyclops continues in his myopic belief that the Phoenix is a good thing.

I guess it's the character motivations. They just don't make that much sense.

That said, it's an interesting turning point we've reached, and I expect that, several issues from now, at least one or two of the characters will say, shades of Star Trek III, "My god, what have I done?"

20. Turtletrekker

Well. This one has certainly gone off the rails, hasn't it? :wtf: