Big Bang Theory, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Anji, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    So what do you guys think of the TV series "The Big Bang Theory"? Are they painting us in a favorable light or mocking us? Personally, I think it's really funny...in a good way.

2. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They're poking fun to us geeks but not in any way that is offensive. More humorous and enjoyable. At the same time, they are paying homage to the many things we love like Battlestar Galactica, time machines, and Star Trek concepts. And the geek characters on the show, though they appear like stereotypes, have some depth to them. Some of them undergo a level of growth as people in the series.

3. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love the show! Have all seasons.

Classmates at law school told me I was the only person they knew who understood most of what the guys were saying. Not the theories, of course, but at least identifying the scientific subjects. And of course almost all of the SF references.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I like it. Funny and the characters are similar to people I know ( even the guy in my mirror). Of course they go a bit broad at times, because it is a comedy and most comedies do that with their characters.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just another dumb sitcom. It's okay for 2-3 episodes, and then you notice the repetitive and forced humour in each and every episode. Fantastic cast though.

6. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. Watch stuff written by, say, Judd Appatow, Kevin Smith or the movie "Free Enterprise", if you want good, "nerd friendly" humor. They clearly have affection for their subject, because they ARE their subject.

I don't get that vibe from BBT.

No matter how they pad it, it still comes across as "Look, NURDZ, HUH HUH."

Besides, it's Chuck Lorre. Creator of "Two and a Half Men".

Hack.

7. BlackFire3

BlackFire3 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i don't have a problem with it, and i really do enjoy it. i get a bit of a kick on how the mathematics you see written in the background is actually real. or at least tied to what their talking about when they reference said writings.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I've been watching through it recently and I find it pretty funny. Sheldon is hilarious, but I'd never be able to stand more than five minutes if I were to meet him (or someone like him) in real life. :lol:

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm the G-man and I approve this message.

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

11. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I do enjoy it. But haven't watched much of the latest season, as I'll wait until the DVD is released later in the year, and enjoy all of it then.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

In real life all the other nerds on the show would beat Sheldon's face into hamburger meat.

IMO the show is damn funny. I watch just three sitcoms and Big Bang is the best if the three. Obviously there's some nerds on the writing staff because they get so much right (though exaggerated as it's a sitcom not real life)..

13. Nerys Myk

I've known a Sheldon or two (and even a few Wolowitzes) and managed not to beat them to a pulp. I'm more of a Leonard, myself. Though I went through a Raj like stage. ;)

14. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I don't watch it regularly, since I'm not a fan of sit-coms in general, but I do really like what I've seen. I've seen hubby's friends do EXACTLY what Sheldon does at the comic store, heard hubby himself use the same arguments that Sheldon does,, and have listened in to hubby and his pals' conversations; it could easily pass for a script of TBBT.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I despise it. The writers seem to think that throwing in a reference to a sci-fi show somehow makes them "smart" or "hip" but it comes across as pandering. The jokes are flat, the characters even flatter and the situations contrived. I've sampled a few episodes due to how highly received it's been by sci-fi fans and I find myself hating it each and every time.

16. Nerys Myk

Since its a show about characters who's lives revolve around science and science fiction I'm not sure how it's pandering. That's like saying Scrubs was pandering by including references to medicine.

17. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Terrible show. I gave it more than a fair shake of two entire seasons because friends kept insisting that I just needed to keep watching until it got better, and it never did. What a godawful, unfunny sitcom. The best thing I can say about it is that some of the cast have good timing, but the lines they're delivering are so bad it pretty well negates that.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

They come across, to me, as superficial and dull as opposed to coming out of conversations naturally.

19. Nerys Myk

Really? Because I'm pretty sure I've had conversations like those on the show. (While I might be dull, I'd hate to think I'm superficial) So to me they are natural.

20. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Only watched a handful of episodes of the show, maybe ten scattered across the years. It isn't a bad show, and can sometimes be funny. But the nerd humor never felt honest. It always struck me like the writers were just sticking in references they knew would get a laugh but did not truly understand. It is countless small details, but those details really matter and ruin any feel of authenticity.

It feels especially lackluster compared to a show like Community, that frequently incorporates pop culture and often nerdy things, but does so in a somehow much more organic and natural way.