Lucasfilm's "Red Tails" Trailer Now Online

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Hunter X, Jul 29, 2011.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

That looks pretty good, but one thing concerns me: "January 20, 2012." That's getting precariously close to the post-Academy Awards season late January/February release dates where studios like to dump films they think are stinkers.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only if they both have Cuba Gooding, Jr in them. In fact, he must now be in any future movies about the Tuskegee Airmen.

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks good I'll go see it any idea when it's sopposed to be out?

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    Did you watch the trailer? :wtf:

6. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

It's an odd time to drop such a film, however I believe that Lucas/Hemingway wanted to release it to coincide with Martin Luther King Day and then run into 'Black History Month' in February, so I don't think it's being "dumped" per se...

The thing I'm a little disappointed in, is that given this has been gestating for over 20 YEARS, Lucas himself isn't directing. This has been a passion of his since college and I find it a touch confuddling that he is not directing himself. Might be an odd thing to say given I feel his work on the SW Prequels to be mind bogglingly bad, yet... I'd love to see if he has another "American Graffiti" or "THX" in him, removed from the grandeur, pomp and expectations of the SW universe.

Still, Hemmingway is a wonderful character director, and given that trailer the action appears to be up to snuff. It's now all down to the story (Lucas) and the script (John Ridley, who is an unknown Movie quantity himself, having spent most of his time writing for melodramatic TV drama).

Guess we'll see in 6 months

Hugo - like Lucas, rather enjoys a good dogfight!

7. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Normally, I don't care, but just how in the hell did you get THAT out of that short trailer? :wtf: :confused:

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Lucas did do at least some re-shoots while Hemingway was otherwise occupied with Treme.

9. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Easy.

Did you hear even a single syllable about them in the trailer? According to the trailer, they're just some random group of black pilots called the "Red Tails." It's even strongly hinted that its a work of fiction, as the only way you'd know otherwise is if you already knew.

And in regards to the people throwing their noses up in the air about people condemning a movie after a trailer, how is that any different from the people jacking off to it after a trailer?

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I thought it was an okay movie. It's worth at least a rental

Here's a scene where Howard enters

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6vPiawtTaE[/YT]

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw that movie it was good war film.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kudos to Terrence Howard for delivering cornball dialogue and making it sound slightly like something any human being might have ever actually said. :rommie:

Looks like a mega-corny movie that might just be rescued by the sincerity of the actors. I'll give it a shot. If I'm willing to check out Captain America, I can hardly turn my nose up at this.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, the gold standard for strategic bomber films is Twelve O'Clock High. I'll probably see Red Tails. I don't expect the gold standard to be threatened, but I do expect the dogfighting to remind me of Star Wars.

Speaking of WWII bomber films and Lucas, I recommend that fans of Star Wars (1977) check out The Dam Busters (1955). Dialog from the final battle is all but lifted verbatim for the Y-Wing trench run.

14. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

by the trailer it looks mediocre and i already seem the Tuskegee filem so il pass this.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

According to Denofgeek.com, it is possible that Hemmingway was fired and Lucas took over. We will see.

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I don't care what anyone says, that thing looked SPECTACULAR.

[​IMG]

The official word is that Hemingway wasn't available for additional photography, and the rumours that Lucas wasn't satisfied with his work were false. If Lucas indeed had directed something, it's likely just a matter of mere minutes of screentime anyway. He could have mangled it in the post, though. I'll just hope for the best.

17. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I wish Lucas would make all those artsy movies he always wanted to make instead of messing up other peoples work.

18. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well sounds like you've made up your mind about what this film is or isn't based on a VERY short trailer with very little information to go on. But as I often say, different strokes for different folks. I don't understand where you're coming from at all, but I certainly respect your right to feel that way. And I certainly wouldn't want you to watch a film you don't like.

I don't know one way or another if I'm going to watch and like the film, I'm going to wait until I get some more information before I declare what this film is or isn't.

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a thing called cinema.

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be checking it out, even if Lucas wasn't involved; and been talking up the project it seems forever. The contributions of black soldiers and other soldiers of color in WW2 and many other wars has been sorely lacking in terms of cinematic depictions. I'm interested to see what transpires.

I'm not understanding why people are using the fact that HBO came out with a movie about the Airmen over a decade ago as an excuse not to see this one. So, just because you've watched Saving Private Ryan means you shouldn't watch Flag of Our Fathers or Band of Brothers, for example? No one film can capture the definitive experience of war, or any group of soldiers. Should there never be another film about Native American soldiers because of Windtalkers? I'm curious to see Lucas's take on the history of the Airmen and their exploits.