Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

I wonder if we'll get another Green Goblin in the second film, with possible hints in the first film (ala Batman Begins and the Joker Card). William Dafoe was good as Norman Osborn, but the Raimi Goblin costume is silly and now, dated. I'm thinking something like the comic-allowing us to see some expressions this time without giving away the identity. Or maybe something like Harry's outfit in the third film.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I'm thinking that since Harry and Norman weren't cast in the first film, this could very well be the case.

3. I think they should have face-paint (with accessories like skullcap and maybe ears). Go for a "Joker warpaint" theme that makes his face look rubbery and goblinesque but still able to emote. Kind of like "Fear Gas Batman" from Batman Begins.
    In the comics, the GG mask has always had an unnatural facial cling anyways. It's just a practical version of the same thing.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

That's too much imitation as flattery for my taste. I enjoyed what Nolan did with Joker and the "war paint" as much as the next guy but that motif doesn't work for Goblin.

The goblin outfit is indeed in need of an even closer representation to the comics(purple tunic for instance) but war paint is not plausible imo.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know if it was intentional but that story makes Clark Kent/Superman the biggest asshole on the planet. He stops to conduct a fake interview with himself in which he comments that people still need digging out.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Why not? Norman went for the "war paint" look under his Iron Patriot mask in Siege.

7. Captain Craig

I didn't read all parts of Siege so I missed that. Was that painted look meant to look like a Goblin or something else? Got a pic just to help me out?

Still, it just screams rip-off. I'd rather not see that look for the Goblins.

8. Admiral_Young

Clark interviewing himself is not really a big deal and I believe has been done before, but yeah we're rehashing old debates in a non-Superman thread.

I just hope that if we see the Goblin again that they don't make his costume a silly looking armor. I wouldn't mind seeing the Ultimate version of the Goblin either.

9. In the comics what makes the Goblin mask cool is that you can make out every facial expression because it's not only skintight, but goes around his nose, wrinkles, and he can even open his mouth and laugh or frown and the "mask" captures it. never seen a mask that does that. Can't even imagine one that wouldn't look stupid.

That's what is important, if you cover up his face you've gotten rid of all it. To me the only options are "face-paint" (meticulously detailed, not sloppy a la the Joker), or makeup (like the "fear gas Batman") representing transformation.

10. Admiral_Young

Norman was wearing war paint in Siege because he was on the verge of going into full Goblin mode again thanks to the Void's influence (I think it was the Void).

11. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

You must have ignored pretty much every latex appliance made in the last 60 years.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Captain Craig

^^^^^
    Interesting visual.
    Thanks! :techman:

14. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't mind a mash-up of 616 and Ultimate Goblins. A physical transformation would explain the emotive green face, but aside from super-strength, his other capabilities would be technological, not genetic.

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the problem with using Ultimate Gobby is that without it being part of the MCU, it runs the risk of being a lame rip-off of Hulk and also a kinda rip-off of SM1, as Norman was experimenting with a super-soldier serum in SM1 and Ultimate Gobby is a huge green hulking creature...

16. Admiral_Young

^ The genetically enchanced formula that Norman used in "Spider-Man" was taken from Ultimate Spider-Man. It was basically the Oz formula (which has never really been fully explained except that Norman was developing it for Justin Hammer in the books). Good points about it being similiar to the Hulk though. Norman basically does go into Gobby mode when he gets angry lol.

17. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

The serum thing had always been part of the Goblin's story, in all iterations. Ultimate merely disagrees in the extent of its effects. I say, do a Gremlin-like face on the guy, but leave him looking scrawny. That should distinguish him from Hulk, and bring actual Goblins to mind. I agree though, that without connections to the larger Marvel universe wherein Cap, Hulk, and GG are all results of research into the same concept, it loses some of its plausibility.

18. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

I also wonder if the reboot will use Doctor Octopus at some point as well. I'd rather he not be in the same movie as the Goblin....Spider-Man 3 already suffered from villain overload, and to my knowledge the two villains have rarely worked together in the comics (If anything, Ock seemed to hang around more with the Hobgoblin).

19. Admiral_Young

There were early rumors that the reboot would feature an original villain but that seems to have been proven false. I'd like to see the Vulture in the second movie. That was one aspect of "Spider-Man 4" that I was looking forward to seeing.

20. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Couldn't you make the Goblin's serum/ toxin like the effects of Dioxin? His skin would turn green instead of grey and he could get those bumbs on his face. Of course he wouldn't have pointy ears, but you can get over that. Then just give him the purple shirt and the hat or hood. He could be a Clemson tigers fan;)