Lionsgate to cut Punisher: War Zone down to PG-13?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Latino Review is reporting that, in addition to director Lexi Alexander being allegedly fired from the film, Lionsgate intended to cut the film down to get a PG-13 rating. Why? Possibly because some suit thinks they can do what Dark Knight did with a PG-13 even though the movie is called Punisher, not Batman.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Did they even see the Comic-Con trailer? That thing was in no way shape or form PG-13.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know its unrealistic, but I wish they could produce both a pg13 and nc17 and see which movie makes more money?

Although, I hated the first movie and only think such a thing would be nice to spite the suits.

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Punisher? It has to be R!

JF

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if a 13-minute movie would be very successful at the box office.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Neither was Dark Knight, yet Warner Bros. was able to get a PG-13 on that.

In any event, if TPTB think they can pull a TDK with Punisher, they've been hitting the pipe. TDK had the added bonus of Batman who is and always will be more popular/recognizable than Punisher. Go down a street and ask a random person who Batman is, and they will probably know at least one of the many incarnations. Ask them who Punisher is and they might think he's some sort of WWF star.

Also, something to keep in mind is that TDK got the PG-13 rating w/o cutting anything (as far as I know). If they do cut Punisher for it, then they are probably compromising the film.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so unenthused for this film its making Valkyrie look like an option.

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Umm, did you see the Comic-Con Punisher trailer? That thing had chairs hitting people in the eyes, massive amounts of gore and carnage and limbs going every which way. I don't remember any gore or flying limbs in The Dark Knight.

Yeah. I figured that. Which sucks.

9. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

This is such a bad idea. I'm sure we'll end up with an unrated director's cut, but I'd rather see an R-rated one in theaters.

Not that I'm all that into the Punisher as a character. But if you're going to do it, do it right.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh my god it's the punisher! FORGET YOU MAN!

NO FORGET YOU!

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's a shame they've fired the director, and now are walking back on the R-Rating... but, after seeing the trailer, I can't help but feel a total lack of investment in this film. It looks terrible, and that's with or without the gore (be it gratuitous or otherwise).

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yippie-kai-yay, Mr. Falcon.

13. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

God, how hard is it to get a Punisher film right? People talk about how hard it is to make superheros connect realistically with audiences, but Punisher isn't even technically a superhero. The concept is more akin to Death Wish than Spider-Man. It's entirely realistic and it's entirely doable.

One thing people expect though is comic book-level action. Yeah, it's easier to do a character like Punisher with a smaller budget because he lacks superpowers. But I think these films are missing the widescreen appeal of the comic books. Vigilante revenge movies have been done before, a million of them. But for a successful comic book-inspired one, it has to be larger-than-life. That's the difference, say, between an ideal Punisher movie and a Death Wish movie.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, the thing about those vigilante movies is that most of them weren't very good. For every Death Wish you have a Death Wish II (or, worse, a Death Wish V).

15. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At this point, the only desire I have to see this movie is because it may turn out to be the right kind of hilariously bad...

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I admit, I haven't seen said trailer. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that I believe that TDK should have been rated R.

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I just saw the trailer with all the gore... damn. How the hell do they think they're going to get a PG-13 out of this? It looks like it's supposed to be an over-the-top shoot 'em up with lots of blood and gore.

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

So once again we're facing moronic execs who "know better"...
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Got to love studio interference.

Not like it's going to matter. No one gives a shit about this film. The vigilante movie was done to death thirty years ago with Death Wish.

Also, Punisher is in NO WAY Batman. The film won't even gross 10% of The Dark Knight's final total.

20. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fact that TDK was PG-13 proves that the ratings system is a total joke.