Re: S4's Rejoined

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, May 22, 2012.

1. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Rejoined is an ep I've seen only 1x before today. Decided to watch it again.

Positive: Terry Farrell did a nice job on this episode. I know there's haters out there, but really thought she was not wooden and did well in her acting.
    Sisko was great. Brooks was intense without being over the top

Negative: the episode is plodding and boring and has the feel of Days of Our Lives.

Overall: its a disappointment. That said, its hard to follow: Way of the Warrior, The Visitor, Indiscretion, and Hippocratic Oath, So perhaps its not quite bad as I think it is against this all-star back drop.

2. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I basically agree with you here. It got a lot of attention when it came out, but it's boring soap opera-Trek of the type I hated when it was on TNG.

3. Photon

and I said nothing about "The Kiss"

I wanted to not to even mention that b/c that's what ppl get hung up on (whether good or bad)

(it wasn't a per se lesbian kiss anywho)

4. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I actually think this is one of the best episodes of S4.

5. Photon

Gotta have some action, Brunt

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing you don't think highly of The Inner Light then.

7. sonak

The Inner Light is a great sci-fi concept executed well.

Rejoined is boring soap opera.

8. Photon

Inner Light didn't have that soap opera feel. It was OK.

It wasn't 2 women (or one ex) talking about their feelings.

You might need to turn in your man card for liking this

9. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

To be honest I'm kind of surprised that I like this episode as much as I do considering romance of the week episodes in Trek are normally pretty wretched and I've never really liked Jadzia but whenever I think about S4 Rejoined always rises to the top in my mind.

10. Photon

Rejoined=Much Eye Candy

11. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

It's one of the few decent love stories in Trek.

12. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

I really enjoyed this episode, it's a sentimental favorite of mine. I liked that it was a genuine love story. The kiss scene was well done and felt passionate without being cheap or exploitative. I wish it had been referenced in future episode, the whole "reassociation thing."

13. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Backing you up here, and I agree. There's nothing wrong with a soap opera that both pulls at your heartstrings AND makes you think. I mean it's a clever idea and this episode explores the 'final frontiers' of love.

The only negative: Susanna Thompson made Terry Farrell look plain!

14. sonak

I assume that last line is a joke. Or you watched this episode on a TV with poor reception.

15. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm serious, and I've seen that episode at least four times on DVD. Terry looks good, and in any other episode she would probably be the most glamorous female character, however Susanna Thompson simply is a magnitude more glamorous in that episode.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

16. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Lieutenant Red Shirt

This episode would have been far more interesting to me if it were about reversing roles. Kahn was the woman and Dax was the man in the past. It would be far more interesting whether the roles would be reversed and Kahn would now be a man. It would have been extremely interesting on seeing how would Kahn react when Dax comes with a (woman's) perfume bottle as a gift.

But this would be influenced by each one's current personalities. Would a current male Kahn take offense? or would he be understanding? Would they adjust to the current sex reality? or would they still dwell on how things were in their past? It all depends on how are them both.

Trill concept about symbiont-host interaction reminds me about reincarnation. Supposedly a man may reincarnate as a woman and viceversa. The case about a new male Kahn and a new female Dax would be more akin a story about reincarnation with the added twist that both are fully aware of their past incarnations. A female-female story also reminds me of reincarnation, but the much trumpeted theme of homosexuality just eclipses the subject. It's still interesting, but the other one is better (to me).

mu'o mi'e betsemes

17. grabthars hammer

grabthars hammer Captain Captain

I found two interesting themes in the episode: first, that their gender was of no concern (reinforcing the Federation's enlightened reputation); second, that it was Jadzia, not the 'guest star', who was ultimately willing to break the rules. This fits in with Jadzia's impulsiveness and makes sense but in a typical Trek show its usually the non-starfleet person who would do such a thing.

18. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I happen to think Farrel is a stunner, heck, I sometimes watch Hellraiser 3 since she in it.

However,

[​IMG]

Is stunning as well. The fact that female trills we see are Jazdia, Ezri, and this...I would so want to visit trill...

19. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

To be fair, most of the onscreen women in Trek are pretty hot, so I'll take just living in that universe!