Teaser online in better format

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

And your point is ?

I think the camera is pointing down at the top of the saucer here actauly, it's hard to tell what's going on here really....

Like I said we need Denny Crane to look into this ;)

- W -
    * Sticks his tongue out back at you playfully *

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

One thing I really like about this is the ship is being built BY HAND. We have all the automotive technologies available to us and yet they use dock workers to do the job.

Great stuff.

3. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, one of the trailers had that. The trailer on the official site still says Christmas. It would be weird to delay the release by one day.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a colorful metaphor metaphor! :rolleyes: :p

Actually, it's a rather monochromatic metaphor. :)

Other threads have rationalized the 1-g construction with answers ranging from anti-gravity devices to compensate for the lack of aerodynamics to the ship being built to handle greater loads at warp than it has to in 1-g. Personally, I'll accept those answers, but I'm not comfortable with them.

5. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well we've never really seen worker-bots in Star Trek - that would stick out even more I think. And I don't know about you but I'm more comfortable with actual human hands putting this together since its far from a car where all the pieces just get snapped into place over and over and over on a line.

Skyscrapers are still built by hand, so are boats and even the space shuttle I think for that matter submarines though done on a line there are human hands getting down and dirty putting the puzzle together - I dated a girl who did the wiring at Electric Boat for our subs.

Sharr

6. UnionBuster

UnionBuster Commander Red Shirt

Holy crap, the one from youtube the other day...I couldn't see any of this.

I had no idea they were actually showing all those pieces of the ship.

7. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Glans.

We're calling it The Glans.

Though that name is still unofficial.

8. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Judging by the box-with-circle thing, I'd say we're looking directly overhead either the port or starboard edge of the saucer. Where the red/green running lights would be.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

10. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    Oh man, I'm old enough to laugh. :lol:

11. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

Much better, you can actually see it. :thumbsup:

One thing I'm curious about, it shows old 21st century welding going on. Surely you would think they would have improved construction techniques by then? Maybe laser welding or something like that.

The way it's being built looks like something done down at the local body shop.

12. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow! Dennis found the trailer!

:lol:

Very nice and thank you.

13. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When things work why change them? I really don't get this mindset among Trek fans - worse thing GR did was abandon buttons and zippers just to scream out and say: "Look we're advanced."

In that regard velcro hasn't replaced either buttons (which date back hundreds of years but now instead of bone we make them from plastic) or zippers now.

The construction techniques that work tend to get carried on. Plus just looking at it its hard to say how those welders function.

Sharr

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

my ex told me she went to see cloverfield (she hated it). she always hated sci fi and the fact that i watch trek. but she saw the teaser and she said she will see the film.

The marketing dept. got it right i guess... bringing in people like her

15. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

^Yep. I've seen a number of comments from people elsewhere exclaiming their interest in the movie, despite having had almost zero exposure to Trek in the past.

Good stuff.

16. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. If the trailer is any indication, these people know what they are doing -- at least as far as widening the fan base.

17. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://www.triz-journal.com/archives/1999/09/b/index.htm

Scroll down to the section titled "fasteners". The zipper and button are far from the final, perfected, bestest in the universe design. Roddenberry had it just right -- something else will happen along. It always does.

I can't get this passion for keeping everything the way it is in a movie about the future. Everything, that is, except anything from the original Star Trek. :rolleyes:

18. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

If that's true, then why don't they use Glocks instead of phasers? Why don't they use microwaves instead of replicators? Why don't they wear watches instead of somehow knowing what time it is?

It's called "progress." I can understand something like boots & clothing not changing much but from a technological standpoint, having people weld together pieces of the Enterprise like a WWII battleship just seems out of place in the 23rd century.

19. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Guys, I just edited a few posts. Remember not to hotlink your pictures from other sites, it's stealing their bandwidth. Load the pictures you want to show on to Photobucket or another picture hosting site. Also, remember not to stretch the page with large pictures. Kind of makes it a pain to read threads.

Thanks a lot.

20. Enrage

Enrage Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't get the problem with hand welding. There are many advanced alloys (titanium ones especially) that just can't be done properly by machine. Sometimes there is just no replacement for a skilled craftsman.