Orphan Black kept my Attention.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Well now we've seen five....mmmmm five.

8 more eps to the season, how long I wonder will it take to explain everything (if they do)?

And what to leave for a possible S2?

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was so much better than the pilot episode, and I liked that episode. They really did push to get Sarah fully entrenched in this whole mystery thing this week and man did the plot keep moving and was fast. I almost feel like I need to see the first two episodes again but this episode was really good.

So so far we've seen Sarah, Beth, the Soccer Mom, the Gangsta, and the German, and it seems like this "person" has been planted all around the world using various stereotypes of humanity, or at least that's what I got from the Briefcase scene and the final scene.

Ar-Pharazon,

I too was wondering how they are able to maintain this storyline. I think each episodes builds on something bigger and it's going to be like an Army of clones or something. I'm almost worried this show might have a Heroes syndrome (And to that extent, Glee Syndrome) which is great first season but how do you maintain this quality while keeping the story interesting. Still, we're only 2 episodes into a 10 episode run. There's plenty more time to see where this goes, and honestly, I think I might look more forward to this show than Doctor Who.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see two reasons to make clones: Immortality and piety dish, which pretty much sums up to the same thing.

They're all growing replacement organs for someone special, or their entire body is a replacement vehicle for someone special, but whether that's an outright brain transplant or just digitally imprinting brain patterns... Or they could be growing a virus or a cure to something horrible... Seeing how environmental effects impact on perhaps a "cancer potential gene" or else why let them lose to the our corners of the planet?

Ah!

What if each of the clones is referred to as a colour?

Orphan Red, Orphan Yellow, Orphan magenta... Etcetera, etcetera.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I too thought this episode was better than the pilot...and I too, loved the pilot. This is just a great show and I'm looking forward to see where it's heading.

One minor nit though, I hope this story line about the cop and her partner and this shooting has something to do with the main plot. Right now it doesn't feel like it has anything to do with anything and is taking away from the plot with the clones.

5. Guy Gardener

In my mind I am already comparing next weeks episode to the second episode of Continuum where the future cop had to pretend that she was a present day cop and work a case using only stone knives and bear skins.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Watched most of the pilot last week and thought it was interesting. Tried watching the new episode last night and turned it off after 5 minutes. That Felix character has to be one of the most annoying people I've ever seen, and his awkward drunk fight with ex-boyfriend dude was just weird. I won't be able to watch any more new episodes from here on out anyway due to work, so I'll just wait and see how it does in the reviews. I may come back to it if the first season shows up on Netflix someday.

7. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

It's pretty obvious that it is related.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't Sarah say that Beth was investigating the twins at the time of the shooting?

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I hope it's not related. I hate small world syndrome.

10. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Came across the second episode while I was bored and channel surfing.

Couldn't figure out what this episode was suppose to be about. (Didn't see the first episode).

11. Guy Gardener

That's a good sign?

Shows that are too accessible are made for idiots.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Do you normally read the second chapter of a book first as well?

13. Guy Gardener

Would you buy a book if the first chapter had been extracted?

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

This show is rapidly plummeting toward the land of the silly.

So next time, she has to fake being a detective? Excuse me, but she lived up to her part of the bargain. Why isn't she demanding her cash back from whiny detective boy and running?

And is it just me, or is the Bitchy Soccer Mom clone the most interesting one so far?

15. jayceee

For non-fiction books, frequently yes. Though more generally, I read chapters of non-fiction books in non-sequential order, or even partial sections of chapters.

For fiction books, generally no.

16. jayceee

I've picked up some used non-fiction books with pages missing from the first chapter. Generally these tend to be technical books where the first chapter is mostly introductory content, a general overview, or stuff that isn't too interesting. In such books, the details are in later chapters.

17. jayceee

Perhaps.

Though if I was looking for something that requires high intelligence and/or intellectual effort, tv shows and movies are the last place I would look for it. :devil:

18. Guy Gardener

I was watching Touch the other day...

"It's a cypher!"

"What's a cypher?"

"A cypher is a machine that makes codes."

:(

Seriously?

The writers/producers think that their audience is so pigignorant that they did not know what a cypher was, or that they couldn't have worked out what a cypher was form the context of the story?

Who hasn't among us explained the story of the Enigma Code to their children while polishing off the washing up?

Water finds it's own level.

19. jayceee

I didn't know what the Enigma machine was, until I was in college. I first read about it when I came across the book "The Codebreakers" (by David Kahn) in the college library.

20. Guy Gardener

The Batman Villain:The Riddler's real name is Edward Nigma... E. Nigma.

Meanwhile... On Archer last week reminded me of who Archer called "the Gayest X-man eveaaaah!": Cypher.

Cypher is a common every day word meaning mystery or code, it's not hard to figure out that it also is the name of machine that makes cyphers. Well actually, a cyphergraph (or cryptograph) makes cyphers but that's just getting far too clinical.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013