Which fan fiction series would you watch?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Galen4, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Galen4

Galen4 Captain Captain

Sol III, within the universe of United Trek
    No, I’m not talking about fan film productions, lest the mods throw me into a different forum...
    I'm wondering: if you could have a written fan fiction series turned into a live action TV series, or major motion picture, complete with a high end production budget, actors and effects...

Which one would you most like to see on screen? (er...besides your own.)

I'm not sure myself. I'll have to give it more thought.

2. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think many fanfic series are worthy of becoming TV/Movie material, namely because the various writers are not constrained by the stifling rules that the actual franchise writers labor under. We can put our characters in believable jeopardy because we have the option of killing them, should the story call for it. :devil:

The last time I actually believed a Trek character was in mortal danger was when Picard was abducted by the Borg in Best of Both Worlds, Part 1. That was in 1990… so it’s been awhile.

I personally would love to see DarKush’s Dark Territory series solely because I’m an unabashed Terrence Glover fan. Tales of the USS Bluefin would be a close second.

3. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the question should probably be which fan fiction series would you not watch.

Not saying this because there are bad ones out there but because there are so many good ones. In my opinion the average quality of fan fiction especially here on this forum is incredibly high.

It also would be quite hard to just pick one.

Additionally a lot of writing doesn't translate well to the screen. Especially a lot of those series focused more on characters than action.

There are a lot of elements in stories I've had a tough time imagining on screen and still work equally well. One example is my very own series. My sometimes controversial character DeMara Deen (think Odyssey's siren but with good intentions) would probably not work well on screen.

I guess it might boil down to which series has the most appealing visual appeal? Another tough one, for sure.

4. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the Lexington and Bluefin series would work well on screen. I'd love to watch them.

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be honest and say I doubt Sigils and Unions would translate well. A lot of the story (in my opinion) relies on being able to get inside certain people's heads; without that insight, I'm not sure I could get audiences to suspend disbelief long enough to buy some of the things that occur. Even in writing I think some people are on the knife's edge with it.

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Gibraltar for the kind words.

I would like to see a United Trek mega-series/anthology series. Also, I would watch some of the Virtual Trek stuff like Star Trek Renaissance or Star's End, or the prose fan fiction like the Adventures of Argus, Star Trek Liberty, or the old and almost forgotten series Star Trek Timescape.

Star Trek Foundations, a alternative take on ENT, seems interesting too, but I haven't read any of the scripts yet. Ditto, the DS9 continuation What You Come Back To, and the VOY continuation, Virtual Voyager Season 8.

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Supermax.

other than my own of course :devil:

8. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

All the Gibralter stories. He paints them well enough and action-packed enough that you'd have a good balance between people who want intelligent and thoughtful sci-fi, and those who like big explosions. Mistral's Remnants, from what I've seen so far, would be pretty cool. I love the mental imagery of a ruined and abandoned San Francisco returning to the wild.

As to my own stuff (because I can!), a lot of it's best in prose. But I think On the Nature of Wind would make a wicked full-length animated feature. Think... less stylized Disney, clean up the language a little bit, and it'd probably be a pretty cool story for kids.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Besides mine, huh? Too bad, because Star Trek: MY Way is the perfect choice for production! (Really! Honest and for true! It's even got a cast! :D)

That said, I'll go with Gibraltar, for pretty much the same reasons I stated in the "Where would you serve" thread. I'm inclined to include Bluefin as a second choice, but my reservation for both series is that they - like almost all the others - would be TNG series, which I really don't want to see any more of, whether I like the material or not.

On the other hand, that leaves Lexington, which is built around a canon character, which is the problem. Though the stories are okay, Commodore Robert Wesley has got to be one of the most bland guest characters I've ever seen in TOS, something I was reminded of when I watched The Ultimate Computer recently, and unfortunately, the author of Lex only succeeds in making him appear slightly less bland in my head as I read about him, and he's not "less bland" enough to make me watch him on a weekly basis on TV

10. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

• Michael Gray's "Star Trek: Dark Horizon" ...hands-down, NO contest.
    • "Star Trek: Starfleet Intelligence" by Agelshaxe.

11. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Any story starring WAZZO the fly..
    Rob Scorpio

12. Gibraltar

I'm developing a growing affinity for the Arc of the Wolf series, or as I shall henceforth call it... Scottyville! :rommie:

13. SLWalker

::giggles!:: If I woulda known you back about a year ago when I realized I had to name this arc something, that mighta been it!

14. Nerys Ghemor

LOL!

Though I do think the name you gave it fits, considering your version of Scotty is such a lone wolf.

15. SLWalker

If you knew how much of an accident that all was, you'd probably be horrified by my utter lack of planning and plotting. ;) Another author who's thrown in a piece didn't know what to call the storyline, back when I had like, six or seven stories done for it, and so I said, "Uh... okay, the Arc of the Wolf."

Happy accident!

16. Nerys Ghemor

Wow...guess the lesson there is to go with your instincts! ;)

17. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of a UT anthology. I also think the Jerry LaSalle stories over at The Phoenix Inn would be fun-if you could translate telepathy to the screen(don't ask, just go read them, its easier than explaining).

In fact, the UT anthology idea could be a hoot-the way you all interweave your characters in each others stories would be a casting dream but you'd have to hire a continuity editor that liked living on three hours sleep a night.

18. SLWalker

That would be awesome. Huge, expensive, but awesome.

19. Gibraltar

:bolian: Amen to that! :lol:

20. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

I've always thought that any future Star Trek TV series should be an anthology. Call it Star Trek: Legends and have a different crew, ship (or station, etc) from various eras each week. Modern special effects allows for the easy creation of various ships and settings. The anthology approach has worked well in the past (Remember Twilight Zone and Outer Limits?)

As to specific Fan-fic story lines that I think would translate well to an ongoing TV series:
    Gibraltar - the inter personal conflict is enough to keep me hooked.
    Lexington - call me a sucker for classic TOS stories!
    Star Trek My Way - though many Trekkers' heads might explode, I think this is the BEST re-imagining of Trek, period!

For an anthology series, I specifically like Remnants ( a two or three part story), and the various United Trek stories. Sigils and Unions would provide some interesting Cardassian tales for an anthology series. Some Sniper stories would fit nicely, too.