IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Huh? Can we not do this again? There's no point rehashing old debates about the previous movie when we have the ongoing comic and a new movie to talk about.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First off, I'm not certain how fast the warp velocities necessarily are. Yes, they seem to be faster than in the prime universe, but the relatively short trip from Earth to Vulcan still seemed like it took several hours in the first movie.

Anyways, the video game theoretically happens between Countdown to Darkness and Into Darkness - it starts with the Enterprise being diverted by a distress call (versus the normal mission start to Countdown to Darkness), and also ends with a trip to Nibiru. The video game covers 2259.32-2259.33 - if the Mudd comics ended the day beforehand, that would put it 24 days before Into Darkness, close enough to a month in my book.

We don't know how long the Enterprise was at Nibiru, do we?

Of course, other problems call the game's events into question - the Gorn reference in the movie, again the "nobody died" line. But then, the Tribble comics have a stardate about 100 days after the bulk of the movie (and during the refitting period unless I missheard Kirk's speech at the end). I wonder if there were late script changes giving it an earlier date and adding that scene with Pike, or whether this stuff wasn't actually being vetted as strictly as is implied.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, given that the Pike orders Kirk to erase all mention of Captain April and what he did from the Enterprise logs and never speak of it again, those events would have to be referred to as "the Mudd incident" if Kirk were to follow orders. Presumably no orders were issued to forget Mudd exists.

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I haven't seen the movie yet, but... they referenced K'Normians? Wow, I'm actually impressed they would make such an obscure reference!

5. Christopher

In the first movie, there were clear indications that more time passed than it appeared, yes. But here,
    there was a pretty continuous sequence of dialogue and action from the moment the ship jumped into warp from the Neutral Zone to Carol going to the bridge to warn Kirk about the Vengeance to the Vengeance blowing the ship out of warp right near Earth. I don't think there's any space there to insert a gap of hours.

That would account for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the comics writer is just given a list of details and plot points to tie into but isn't necessarily told what significance they'll have in the movie, given how secretive Abrams has been. And there may also be a list of things to avoid contradicting, but they may not think of every last detail. I know from experience how hard it can be to keep every last continuity detail straight between different works.

Yeah, I had that same thought myself. But it's a stretch, and I don't think it's what the movie's writers had in mind.

6. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I seem to recall we'd been noticing that no one has died in the comics-- not even in the comics version of "The Apple!"

7. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The cover page for #21 was redone earlier this week, and 21-23 are currently titled:

Star Trek After Darkness.

8. Christopher

Really? Not even in the "Where No Man" and "Galileo Seven" adaptations?

9. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kelso shot himself in the head with a phaser, which pokes a big hole in that statement.

10. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eight or so died in the Gary Mitchell issues and they brought one corpse back with them in Galileo 7.

Could the first few issues have occurred after the the events of STiD?

Also
    perhaps Kirk was fudging his stats in his argument to Pike to better make his case for his command style and decisions. He also claimed to have been winning the fight in the bar scene from the 09 film not long before/after his "not one death" assertion. Clearly he sprinkles hyperbole into his debates with the admiral and we can safely question his "perfect" record claim as perhaps another example of this.

11. ATimson

Plot-wise I think it's possible. The stardates are jacked up in them anyways...

I suspect (though I don't remember for sure) that you'd have to overlook Main Engineering changing back to its 2009 incarnation after the events of Into Darkness, though.

12. Christopher

They did use the same brewery for some of the Engineering scenes in STID. They just added location shooting at Livermore Labs for the actual warp core (as well as for a loading platform in the hangar bay, apparently).

Anyway, the comics are full of art-reference errors -- the wrong version of the Enterprise or the wrong phaser design or what-have-you -- so it's best not to take the visuals too literally. Which is a habit that fans of DC's first TOS series also had to learn, since its artists had a very idiosyncratic way of drawing the ship interiors.

13. ATimson

True (the "communications vats" being one that stood out); I don't think we saw the area that had housed the warp cores (plural) in the last movie in STID, however.

True. I keep trying to forget those, and succeeding. ;)

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Galileo 7 was referenced in Countdown to Darkness so that had to have happened before STID, and Scotty was complaining about the Enterprise's damage from the blackhole not being properly repaired at the start of the Where No Man Has Gone Before adaption.

15. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Trek Collective's article on upcoming IDW comics shows a suggested event timeline for the comics: 2256: #20 - Red Level Down

2257:
    #18 - Uhura origins
    #19 - Scotty origins

2258:
    2009 movie
    #15 and #16 - Mirrored
    #1 and #2 - Where No Man Has Gone Before
    #3 and #4 - The Galileo Seven
    #5 and #6 - Operation: Annihilate
    #7 and #8 - Vulcan's Vengeance
    #9 and #10 - The Return of the Archons
    #17 - McCoy origins
    #13 - The Redshirt's Tale
    #14 - Keenser origins

2259:
    #11 and #12 - The Truth About Tribbles!
    Countdown to Darkness
    #21, #22, and #23 - After Darkness

So, no matter how you slice it, you can't reconcile some of the details of STiD with the comics. Nothing new.

What excites me is the fact that there will be a John Harrison mini-series later this year, and the Gorn will appear in the comic, which will hopeully bridge the gap to the video game.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  16. ATimson

The "Tribbles" story has a 2259 stardate, but the one given is during Into Darkness, so it's rather obviously wrong. :p I think late 2258 (after the McCoy story, before The Redshirt's Tale) is probably better.

(#17 is the last comic with a stardate, taking place on 2258.247, with #10 being shortly beforehand on 2258.241. My assumption is that #11-14 plus Countdown to Darkness, not being flashbacks, all occur in order sometime after #10/#17 and before the video game on 2259.32.)

Some details in the video game are hard to reconcile with Into Darkness itself. I wonder if (solicitation aside) they'll end up just ignoring the game entirely.

17. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I stand corrected. ;)

18. Christopher

I suppose the "Galileo Seven" death could be reconciled with Kirk's line since it technically happened under Spock's command. But the WNM adaptation is harder to reconcile.

19. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first two issues are hardest for me to reconcile, too. They may have to be removed from my personal continuity, which wouldn't be a horrible thing as they feel "off" style-wise and story-wise from the issues that follow anyway.

20. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Are we sure we heard what we thought we heard? The Alan Dean Foster novelization renders that scene as follows:

PIKE: You were supposed to survey a planet—not alter its destiny. You violated a dozen Starfleet regulations, and almost got everyone under your command killed!
    KIRK: Except I didn’t. You know how many crewmembers I’ve lost since—
    PIKE: That’s your problem. You think you’re infallible. You think you can’t make a mistake. There’s a pattern with you, that rules are for other people.