Smallville 9x01 "Savior" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Sep 25, 2009.

?

Grade "Savior"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Red-Blue Blur (Above Average)

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  4. Kal (Below Average)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing that the Legion ring needs to be specifically programmed to a time period to be used to go to that period. The last time it was used was from the 31st century so I too assumed that Lois went to the Legion period not a year. Dr. Hamilton did point out that there was a temporal anomaly, a rip in the fabric is how he put it to Chloe. Maybe this has something to do with Lois being tossed into the future. What I hope is also explained is why she can't remember anything . Most likely her memories were altered or blocked.

2. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, this brings me the weakest part of the episode.

Supposedly, for Clark to release his inhibitions and achieve his full power, he has to let go of his attachments to human. There's a kind of sense there, and comes through clearly at the end when Chloe wants Clark to "save" Jimmy.

Clark has so much power, he can't play favourites. He can't save a friend and let a thousand people perish instead. And by the same logic, he can't go back in time and save Jimmy unless he's ready, willing and able to go back in time and save anyone and everyone that could possibly be saved. And of course that's ridiculous to even conceive of.

So Jor El has a good point. Where it becomes totally weak though is that Clark has some kind of attachment to Lois. The Lois Lane he dumped and forgot about last season the second Lana Lang walked in the door. The Lana Lang that Clark would run to in a second if she wasn't encased in a kryptonite suit.

If there is/was anyone in the series that Clark had to let go of in order to move on and achieve his full potential, it was Lana. We've never seen him actually let go of her, walk away of his own choice because he understands that it's going no where and holding him back from, not just his destiny, but even just being himself, instead of being a puppy dog following his mistress around.

His feelings for Lois were still essentially a "work in progress". He likes her. He could finish growing up and reach the point where he can like her, but put his responsibilities to the world first. We haven't seen him reach a "Lana-scale-obsession" with Lois.

So an episode that has a lot of potential to move the story and character forward, falls flat for me. The writers did this themselves, painted themselves into a corner with that unnecessary and abominable Lana arc last season.

Now they seem to be pretending Lana never happened. Good. I think I will too.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Perhaps they are going the route that Clark has let go of Lana since they can't be together at all anymore and he realizes that.

4. Admiral_Young

Clark's attachments though are also what gives him his inner strength that is something that Jor-El will never be able to understand. Jor-El is thinking like a scientist where it concerns his son. He's not the passionate young Kryptonian who fell in love with Lana's aunt or whatever when he made his rite of passage journey to Earth as Joe. It's going to be interesting to see how the young Jor-El is portrayed since we only have Tom Welling's performance to base him by.

The writers in Smallville have always created their own problems...particularly the need to reintroduce Lana and wrap up her story line. To me I'm ignoring the whole Kryptonite woman arc and Lana left Smallville for Paris or wherever with the DVD breakup. That arc should have never happened...I wonder who requested it. I doubt that Kristen really wanted to come back for it since she had been spouting off about her dissappointent prior to that and discontentedness with the role even after the wedding to Lex.

5. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Yup. And would love to have Lana back on the show.

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Oh gosh no, best thing ever to happen to Smallville was Lana going away

7. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

BTW- if The CW was smart they would move Smallville from friday nights to the wed 8 pm (CST) The Beautiful Life slot since that show was cancelled.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

That timeslot's just as bad as a Friday night slot. It'd be opposite:

ABC: Modern Family, Cougar Town
    CBS: Criminal Minds
    FOX: Glee
    NBC: Law & Order: SVU

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that wouldn't be much of an improvement.

10. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, it seems kinda weird watching on Friday nights. I reckon I'll get used to it.

11. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

for me Friday works great, this comes on at 8 and then Stargate Universe comes on at 9, so I get to watch both back to back and have a good friday night of TV

12. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not necessarily a mistake. It was probably the early edition of the Friday paper. In some places I've been, an edition of the newspaper will come out the night before for the next day. I've even seen Sunday papers come out on Fridays. :p

13. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are you kidding? That's the only reason to watch.

:bolian:

14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I agree, that's a pretty decent sci-fi evening, just seems strange that Thursdays are no long Smallville night. It was like... Tradition.

BTW Brent, yes, I most definitely will be there for SGU next week. I haven't been this psyched for Stargate in quite some time.

:techman:

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Just saw the episode. I'll read the comments in a bit, but first, here's what I have to say.

- Looks like they're mimicking The Dark Knight with shots of Clark standing on the ledge overlooking the city accompanied by a score similar to the one you'll find in said movie.

- Good eye candy with Lois "Boobs" Lane. It also looks like they're doing more to put her front and center ahead of Chloe.

- When I saw the promo a few days back, I wasn't thrilled with the casting of Callum Blue as Zod. He didn't seem menacing enough or Zod-like. Having seen the episode, I still feel that way, but I was impressed with what they did to set him up. In his first scene, he gets punched out and knocked uncounscious. Ballsy move for the introduction of a big villain. At that point, I knew they'd do something with that. Then they proceded to establish him as afraid, uncertain and trying to "fake it". That should be interesting.

- I don't remember Zod speaking at the end of last season, but I did notice that they used a line to cover up a change in his voice.

- I'd like to say something about the high-contrast green-filtered look they used for Luthor Manor, but I can't think of what to say other than to point it out and go "Hmmm..." Hmmm?

- The interior of Chloe's clock tower looks too big to be the cap of the building we saw. Just my observation.

- I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

16. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I was surprised to see Callum Blue here, but I thought he did well, I still can't shake his character from Dead Like Me though, I was waiting for him to drop a few F bombs lol

17. Admiral_Young

Actually I'm of the opinion that the voice we heard from the Orb was Terrance Stamp as Jor-El as re The dagman's theory.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I hope he gets to fly soon too.

Will they finally be dropping that "no flights" rule?

Maybe her corpse won't rot now that it's away from the blue K. :vulcan:

That's how I'm used to thinking of him too.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion folks. I assummed that Lois went a thousand years into the future because of the Legion ring.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  19. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I love Callum Blue, he is woefully miscast as Zod. I hope he grows into the role, but I don't think I can take him seriously as a villain.

20. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I am so totally lost...

What the hell was the whole Zod, army, Tess plot? I didn't follow any of it. It made no sense to me.