Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why is Tuesday night's episode a repeat?

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Why is Tuesday's episode a repeat?

3. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good question. I was wondering the same thing myself.

4. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Joss isn't writing this. Jedd and Maurissa Tancharoen are. As for the Rising Tide being Hydra. It's around the web.

This show isn't concerned with making sense, hence the raft plugging a hole in the side of the S.H.E.I.L.D. plane and Ward diving out of said plane to catch Simmons at least 30 seconds after she jumped. And those are just 2 examples of the ridiculous antics on this show.

5. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But Joss did write the pilot, and one would assume he was involved in coming up with central elements of the show, such as the Rising Tide.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They and Jeffrey Bell are the day-to-day showrunners, yes, but Joss Whedon is the co-creator and executive producer, communicates with them on a routine basis, and has approval over their decisions. Also, Jed Whedon and Tancharoen were collaborators on Dr. Horrible and Dollhouse, while Bell was a showrunner on Angel, so they have all participated in that past body of work and its general theme of suspicion toward the powerful.

You can find similar compromises of physics on just about every action show on television, but that doesn't translate to a lack of regard for logical character motivations. There are plenty of shows and movies that put great care into the credibility and consistency of the characters and plot dynamics while playing fast and loose with the laws of physics, biology, etc.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I got all caught up last night. So the did they/didn't they with Grant & May is clearly resolved.

I felt that last weeks episode also served as a mini-type of tie back to TDW in a way.
    I also felt it would've made for a kick-ass Halloween themed episode. The way the "Ghost" would phase in/out among the smoke and flashing lights.
    I must say that near the end, in the fuselage, when the ghost materializes where he thinks May is going to be during the emergency light flashing moment and she's gone was great. I thought they would top that by having May suddenly behind him during the next flash....but it didn't play out that way.

The emergency signal beacon code of 616 was a nice nod. The show continues to improve. Did it's ratings go back up again this week, even if marginally?

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure people understand why there are repeats in general. This is the second repeat of the season and we aren't yet to the winter hiatus which will almost certainly mean a few weeks or even a couple months off. Thanks to cable series and streaming, people are getting less patient with the whole "week on, week off" network scheduling for dramas. I know that I personally have forgotten to tune back in on a few shows after a week or two off the air and after missing an episode or two just deciding to wait to catch it on netflix or dvd. They pay people to manage this stuff though, so I guess they don't see it as costing them too many viewers.

10. Captain Craig

Well there isn't a new Sleepy Hollow this week either, probably a few shows.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Odd that it isn't a week later. It seems like the upcoming episode is supposed to be a mid-season cliffhanger, so it would make sense to have the break right after it, not right before it. However, re-airing Girl With the Flower Dress makes sense because it'll allow people to be on the right page for the following episode.

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. Perfect "stage-setting" choice for a rerun...

13. Alidar Jarok

Although I haven't heard what's happening after that. Is there going to be a hiatus?

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Taking a hiatus is pretty normal for a show this time of year.

15. Alidar Jarok

But taking a week off for one new episode and then a hiatus isn't quite so normal. It's a good way to miss the new episode.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

True, could be a delayed T-Day break as some shows do.

17. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

I really hope next weeks episode is going to be closely related to "Girl in the Flower Dress," because I'm just dying to know who is behind the whole evil organization... A.I.M., Hydra, or the Sinister Six?!?!? jk :)

But really, next week's episode is going to be epic. Another reason they might be rerunning the old episode is amp-up excitement for next week...

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^Well, these preview pics should make you happy.

You'll see that Raina (aka "The girl in the flower dress") has scenes with Coulson, Mike Peterson and the mysterious Po, whom we saw Raina talking to at a penal facility in GITFD's tag scene.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait... is... that guy a Shield agent now and joining the team? :biggrin:

20. Captain Craig

How come Ward is never in a SHIELD jumpsuit?