Why did Chakotay Choose to be with seven instead of janeway?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lorthos, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Kass18

Kass18 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just can't believe they give us such sweet moments between Janeway and Chakotay, touching, dinners, New Earth, dialogue that makes you want to melt and they expect us to believe they are friends? *bangs head on desk

ewoodcourt and nerdyfangirl74656 like this.
  2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Blame that on Mulgrew.

3. Kass18

I know. Which is what crushes me even more when I hear her talk about it in conventions. She just doesn't see it through the die hard fans point of view

4. exodus

No she doesn't.
    She's too wrapped up in what is "right" to her, that she's forgotten part of point of TV is to please your audience. It kinda makes her short sighted. You approved Janeway getting all her crew home...........and she's still going to live her life alone because she still refused J/C?
    How is that a happy ending for Janeway, especially considering way back in "Caretaker" she couldn't wait to get back to Mark and have a family.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    To be fair, there is also a large number of fans who are happy J/C did not happen. ;)

IMO, at the very very very least, she could have had a thang with an alien fellow (or lady) who stuck around. I could have rolled with that, and it would have avoided some of the problems that J/C might have encountered had they actually gotten together.

Although I do wonder sometimes if she's not meant to be "happy" as a character. Every alternate timeline seen in the show ends poorly for her (dead or Forever Alone.)

6. Lorthos

Lorthos Lieutenant Red Shirt

Haha agreed.:techman:

7. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

True... but given the Trek writer history of screwing up relationships... perhaps it was all for the best.

:rommie:

8. exodus

There is always a Ying to every Yang.
    However, if the the a viewer poll shows one side more in favor, then for the sake of keeping ratings strong you go with the J/Cer's. If those against are stronger, then the "relationship" stays the same.

So far, I don't know which side has the big audience.

9. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember a post her a long time ago putting the blame for C/7 at the foot of one of the "Endgame" writers, who was upset at not being brought on board for Enterprise.

Although, given Beltran's...er, well-established opinion on the way VOY was run, I wouldn't discredit this theory, either.

10. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I believe at the the time Ryan and Beltran were wondering if anything was going to come from "Natural Law" the plan was that "Human Error" would be the start of a tragic arc for Seven's character that would end with the death in the finale. When they backed off from that plan they needed something for Seven to do an so the "romance".

11. vas2009

vas2009 Captain Captain

BINGO! :beer:

Chak was not good enough for KJ she was/is way out of his league IMHO however they did have great Chemistry and would have made some fantastic babies.

He was always getting in her way, telling her she was wrong, taking crap personally, and trying to take over her ship (brain washed or not). Like "Scorpion" I wanted to smack him...

Chak wanted her and she just pushed him away.
    Why?
    There is no way Chak could have had a relationship with KJ and kept professional and personal separate. He was too emotional even for ol' planky and dare I say pig headed?

Don't get me wrong I have been known to indulge in a little J/C, and the pair was much more realistic then C/7. I much prefer Jaffen... no secret there ;)

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that if Janeway helped Tuvok out with his Pon Farr, that things might progress, or at least she might challenge the security of the Security Officer's marriage.

Oh gods.

Janeway (ab)using Time Travel to get herself a bit more of that Mr. Vulcan loving.

13. vas2009

vas2009 Captain Captain

If that was to accure, KJ would have probably been the gal for the job.

14. Guy Gardener

Body and Soul.

Dude settled for a light bulb.

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I always got the impression that Janeway wasn't interested. Even when they were on the planet with no expectation of leaving, she wasn't that interested. Also, it's not uncommon for people who have known each other for years to suddenly shift gear into a romantic relationship. I know a few couples in my own small circle of friends who have done this.

16. Kass18

Oh she was interested alright. I saw it and not just on New Earth. You could sense the sexual tension from across the bridge. It's a natural thing I mean...It's Chakotay....:drool:

17. Markira

Markira Commander Red Shirt

:bolian::drool::bolian::drool::bolian:

It was most definitely present, and m yimpression was that Janeway fought her attraction to him in favor of getting her job done. I mean, I can't say I'd be good with just a taste, either...if she'd got it on once with Chakotay, she'd probably want some more...and more...and more...:drool:

18. Guy Gardener

There was no reason to play with that monkey.

It was Janeway's subconscious defending her own virtue.

The selfcoochblock is usually seen as a dickmove, but I'm thinking that it was necessary becuase even if they weren't going to be rescued, if she gave it up to the Indian, he would get bored and move to the other side of the planet.

Only by keeping what's between her legs a celebrated mystery would Citizen Janeway be able to maintain a healthy relationship with Chakotay, and by healthy I mean, I mean that he keeps doing what she says without having to beat obedience into him.

Hmmm.

You know, why didn't Janeway take the monkey off world and away from her?

It was clearly her pet.

Kathy would only leave it behind if she thought of that monkey as an equal and a friend.

Imagine how the rest of the series would have played out if Kathy had a pet monkey?

Imagine all the potential hero moments where the monkey might sacrifice itself to defend it's mistress?

Although, those buggers from Scientific method would have totally gone to town if they had a monkey to put under the knife, or imagine some of the crew complaining... "This you did this to me!? This!? You mutilated me! I'm a freak! ...But the bloody monkey gets a free pass? Bastards! Bastards! Bastards!"

19. Kass18

They were the only people on the planet, they needed each other for survival and who would want to be alone in a time like that?

They certainly had feelings for each other then, and not by a relationship of 'Captain and Commander' since that was well past them now like Janeway had said when clearing up after the storm, and also shown when he was on first name basis with her.

When things became awkward between them, she wanted to 'define parameters' but didn't expect for him to confess the true extent of his feelings towards her by the 'Angry Warrior story' and was surprised to hear he had such strong feelings and what did she do? she cried and held his hand rather intimately, that pretty much tell's you that they were about to cross the line between friends and enter into something more. But as the story of that went it was done without proof, so really it is up to what you perceive of that situation.

Personally I believe something more happened after that, but you can believe what you want. That episode was a way to 'throw a bone' to the J/C fans without upsetting those who disapproved.

Either way they were in it together, whether they were friends or lovers. They couldn't make it a life time on New Earth without one another, it's as simple as that.

20. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

:bolian: What Kass said! :bolian:

I love that scene, after the neck massage, where she's lying in bed and she seems to be taking her own temperature with that hand to the forehead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1nn8dS9xfKI#t=76s

Guy, :rolleyes: sometimes I really worry about what you consider is "healthy". ;)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1nn8dS9xfKI#t=76s[/yt]