Homosexuals and Deltans

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Sam_I_Am, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I mentioned the Kinsey scale before...which ranges from 0 to 6. Only the extremes are "exclusive", and 1-5 involve some degree of attraction to both sexes.

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume the Deltan scale would simply be ∞.

Sex is sex no matter who its with. I suspect they, as a culture, would find such discussions on orientation to be either amusing or absurd.

As stated before, I dislike the pheromone theory. In TMP why wasn't her line "I have taken my weekly pheromone inhibitor, Captain"? She would have had no control over them and would need medical intervention to stop everyone from sniffing around her all day. Sulu was a bit enamoured with her, but he may not have met any female Deltans before and simply heard lots of stories and wild rumours about them. Chekov seemed perfectly fine, as did the horn-dog that is James T. Kirk (and lets face it, his libido doesn't exactly need much encouragement).

Instead she needed to take the Oath, so as to protect sexually immature species. I'd take that to mean that sex for Deltans is still a free choice and, that by taking the Oath, they are swearing not to interfere (as it were) with people from other races.

That is how I always took Deltans to be.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my answer would be "null," because it doesn't matter. Some might say that makes me bisexual, others say pansexual (which is what I use as a label when someone wants an actual answer where "It doesn't matter" won't cut it), but I really don't care someone's gender or sex if I'm attracted to them.

I'd be so at home with Deltans.
    Also, really busy.

At home, and really busy.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dislike it too, because it is is stupid.

Can we, in a lab, create human pheremones that attract the opposite sex? I know there was sprays you could buy at one point that were designed to do this. But can we create SUPER SUPER pheremones that if a reasonably nice looking person sprayed themselves with and walked through a crowd of the opposite gender the straight people in the crowd would have a notable reaction to the sprayed person?

Because it's not just "oh wow, look at that Borg Babe.." ala 7 that is implied here. In order for a suppressant to be necessary the pheremones would have to effect everyone as badly as a teenage boy with a naked woman on his lap would be effected. Effected badly enough you would have trouble concentrating and doing your job.

So is this possible with actual pheremones?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, I don't know about that. Deltans might have sex all the time but it could be that they still have preferences. Any sentient species would, I think.

Sci-fi likes to trot out the "in the future, everyone will like everyone and everything" trope (such as: Jack Harkness). But I don't see how that's true for everybody. There will be quite a lot of variation within any species. No matter how 'developed' or 'evolved' a species claims to be, there will always be those in it who won't do certain things, or aren't attracted to certain groups, etc.

I mean, even Kinsey allowed for the existence of "zeroes" and "sixes". ;)

6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^It's possible that in the future, homo sapiens will be the species identified with unenlightened promiscuity.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unenlightened promiscuity?

And Jack Harkness is put off people with awful personalities just like everyone else is. He may have a very wide attraction level physically but it's not limitless. I do think the older one gets the broader one's attractions, though maybe that only happens for some.

8. SpaceLover65

SpaceLover65 Lieutenant Red Shirt

You've left some really great messages on this thread. And you have the absolute right to believe what you believe. I just happen to not agree with that statement. MANY bi men consider themselves 100% straight. Every human has some type of attraction for both sexes. Some are 70-80-90% which tips them over into being straight - others are aroun 50% which makes them bi. BUT there ARE men who are so gay they are not in the least interested in women. And there are lesbians who are so gay that they don't even enjoy the feel of a man. It's easy to lump everyone in one category...but that's also an unwise thing to do. But most bisexual men who have only a small interest in men consider themselves straight. And I've heard of times when straight women make out together just to turn men on. They do it for a show....or they think it's some power over men. Sometimes these women claim to be bisexual...but are really not. Like I said, human sexuality is very complicated....and you can't judge others on how you feel about yourself...or the subject.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh... out of 7+ billion people, I'd imagine there are people out there who are 100% one way or the other.

10. SpaceLover65

I don't think the pheromones are all that stupid. Humans have them...but we're not always aware that they're working on us. Human men secrete a musky smell (I don't mean stink) that is meant to attract women. This smell also repels other men. Humans wear so much deodorizers that the smell isn't as strong as it used to. Pheromones can be seen at work constantly in nature all around us. Many types of female animals secrete a pheromone when they're in estrus which drives the males crazy. Male elephants go through their own type of estrus, where they're uncontrollable because their need to procreate is so great...I think it's called Musth. But pheromones aren't stupid. They exist and they're a reality.
    s

11. SpaceLover65

Is this a true Caitian? She's a from some type of catlike race. She's from the animated series (obviously).

[​IMG]

12. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think that the intention was to deny their existence, but rather that their use in fiction overstates the effect they have on human behavior. Indeed, pheromones are a whole field of secretions that can affect many aspects of social behavior, not just sexuality. The problem I have is that pheromones are often only presented in terms of their potential for arousing, in contradiction to the fact that pheromones play less of a role in human individual and social behavior than in other animals. Moreover, those pheromones are species specific. Of course, this is what makes the OP's question interesting: is there a biochemical so powerful that it can overcome not just differences of species and sexual orientation, but also a whole field of personal preferences and attitudes toward sexuality, both personal and cultural.