Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A while back, I mentioned that John Hurt would be a really good choice to play the ancient Founder named Indurane in David R. George III's Olympus Descending, from the third volume of Worlds Of Deep Space Nine.

John Hurt is an incredibly versatile actor. He can play characters that are vulnerable and/or eccentric (Alien, The Elephant Man, The Naked Civil Servant, 1984). But as anyone who's seen his recent performance in V For Vendetta knows, he can also project an air of threat and menace. In my opinion, that's just the exact combination of qualities you need if you're casting for an elderly changeling!

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Considering one of his best-known roles is as Caligula in I, Claudius back in 1976, I don't think the notion that he could project threat and menace was a new one in a movie released 30 years later. :D ;)

3. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^
    True, true! I never said it was. :)

But do you think he'd be a good choice to play Indurane in Olympus Descending? And if not John Hurt, who else would you nominate?

4. KRAD

^ Oh, I think he'd be fine, I just wanted an excuse to mention I, Claudius. :D

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm just starting Serpents Among the Ruins, and I am curious who you guys would cast as it's original characters? Because having actors in mind helps me to visualize the characters.

6. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^

Not to dismiss Ens. Brodsky's question above, but I was noticing the character Si Cwan from Peter David's New Frontier series. (His looks as well as his demeanor)...

I couldn't help think Christopher Judge, who portrays Te'luc(sp?) from StarGate SG-1 as this character.

7. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

His name's Teal'c. :) I haven't gotten started on New Frontier, but I figure Chris Judge can play just about anyone. :D

8. KRAD

^ Yup -- Christopher Judge is exactly who I'd tap to play Captain Gold. *nods*

9. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Hang on, I thought you wanted him to play Corsi?

Or were you just going to do it on a digital backlot with CJ as all the characters and composite it together in post?

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ I heard Christopher Judge wanted to do his own musical version of Julius Ceasar where he plays all the parts?

11. RookieBatman

Heck, let's just have him play the entire cast of SCE! (Including Scotty--can you just imagine him doing a Scottish accent?) :lol:

12. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I just don't see CJ in the role as an old white Jew. I would think Leslie Neilson would be a good Captain Gold.

13. KRAD

^ Uh, I know. It was a joke, y'see. :D

Nielsen actually might not make a bad choice. People forget that he was a romantic-male-lead-type in his early days, including his role on Forbidden Planet.

14. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind seeing Leslie Neilsen as Captain Gold...(Kind of ironic since his Captain from 'Forbidden Planet' was the inspiration for Kirk)...

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Re: Casting

Isn't Drake a contemporary of Kirk's? That would make him almost a quarter of a century too young. I'd opt for James Caan.

Some talk re Captain Gold in the more recent posts. What about Topol (Fiddler on the Roof, For Your Eyes Only)?

16. KRAD

Topol doesn't work for me for Gold -- although I think he'd work for Gold's brother, Nathan, seen in "The Ceremony of Innocence is Drowned."

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I always pictured Andres Kasulas as Si Cwan. And, of course, Peter Jurasik as the Danterian ambassador whose name I can't recall who Si Cwan came to blows with in the first NF novel.

And a younger Bruce Boxlietner always came to mind for Captain Calhoun.

No, I'm not sure why I keep mentally transplanting B5 into NF. Though at least I can earnestly say that I don't picture Claudia Christian as Soleta. ;)

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

We came this close to picturing her as Seven of Nine....

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i still think arnold vosloo from the mummy movies would make a great si cwan.

20. RookieBatman

Well, I'm saying John Travolta now opposite William Shatner around the time of TUC. That's the beauty of fantasy casting; you can use people at any age, or even cast people who are dead now.