DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The woman is undoubtedly Kathy Kane. Throughout Morrison's Batman Inc, her fate was very much left open. And of course the Batman continuity was one of the pieces left intact by the Nu52.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless your name is Stephanie Brown.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^Or Tim Drake, or Cassandra Cain.

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished re-reading Morrison's run on Action. Previously I had stopped short of the finale because the story just wasn't making sense to me. Morrison's stuff always makes much more sense when you read it at once. I must say that I really enjoyed the run all the way through, even the issues that I had found a little dull the first time around. It was also nice to pick up on all the little details and foreshadowing throughout the series. One thing I did miss though, is what use was Glenmorgan's tie?

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The art in the new issue of Action was repulsive, which just made Super-Batman which I read a minute later appear to be all the more fantastic.

6. theenglish

In the Hybrid story, Action 19 - 21, it seems the story is still taking place in the past, yet by the end of Morrison's arc we were clearly in the present. Is this the consensus?

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It seems to have taken place "one year ago".

Kind of a big DC week this week. Trinity War finally starts in "Justice League#22", we also have the second part of Zero Year in "Batman #22". My other pulls are "Astro City #2" and "Superman: Unchained #2".

8. theenglish

Oops. Right there on the front page too.

9. Admiral_Young

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Matt Kindt is writing JLA #8. Is Johns leaving or is this just a fill-in during the big event?

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

JLA seems to be an immediate after-thought title. David Finch only stuck around for what THREE issues? And now Johns is leaving. And it already starred the C Listers.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Finch is overrated.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed.

14. Admiral_Young

Agreed about Finch. I didn't think much of JLA when it was announced in the first place, even with the talent behind it, and the roster which was kind of interesting. JLA seemed like set up for Trinity War. It'll be interesting to see how long it sticks around for post Trinity War/Forever Evil.

15. Admiral_Young

So Trinity War finally started with this week's "Justice League #22" and I have to say that I felt it is off to a mediocre start at best. This was a pure set up issue. The art was fine, and we can start to see some of the elements that have built up over the past year or so come into play now...but I wasn't exactly wowed by the start of this. I don't have any comment regarding Superman's actions either.

16. Hound of UIster

Probably a fill-in like Ostrander in Aquaman

Since Mahnke is joining him on JLA and we know he has t̶w̶o̶ four pet characters on JLA, he is staying for the longterm is my guess.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If Trinity War is going to be magic-heavy I probably won't love it, I've never been happy with the use of magic in comic books.

18. Admiral_Young

It's a pretty safe bet that it will be magic heavy. Especially the fact that Justice League Dark is apart of this crossover. Magic arguably is at the center of this event.

19. Hound of UIster

And DC has had a better track record of using magic than say Marvel, whose strength is mainly cosmic level space stuff.

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

And that the Pandora, Phantom Stranger and the new more mystical Question are at the heart of the story.