DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I mean they should be pissed (ok, a strong word, maybe not the best) because of all the press when, in fact, they've HAD a major character who is gay for years, who in the press release seems to be ignored at the moment. I think Batwoman's main selling point is the quality of the work, but how she cut through the noise initially was the orientation.

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, I see your point. It is interesting that the major hoopla that surrounded Batwoman years ago has clearly struck with the mainstream media: almost every recent report noted her status. I think we forget that there was such a hoopla surrounding her, because it took so long for DC to really follow up with a consistently-published set of appearances.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Waaaay before Batwoman I remember this bloke at the comic shop I worked at saying, "Why do they keep putting gays in Green Lantern? Why can't they have their own comic books and leave my comics alone."

I remember thinking that it looked like he probably couldn't even pay for sex.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That was because they scrapped her first book by Devin Grayson, which apparently had cheesecake and then commissioned Rucka and JH Williams to do their own unique version after 52.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Pyscho Pere the compressed timeline has been an issue fans have brought up and complained about from the start. It's completely silly and implausible IMO, even for a comic book timeline.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

True. DC gets the gold star for making me care less about their heroes and universe.
    I mean why bother keeping up now anyway? In 5yrs they'll just reboot again, claiming once again "It's tough for new people to jump in"
    Definition of crazy is doing the same thing again and again and expecting better results. Their results will bear negative returns time and time again in the long run with just bumps of new interest at each reboot cycle.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Lately, they do seem reboot happy. Once in awhile, sure. But, I didn't have a problem jumping into the DCU a few years after Crisis on Infinite Earths... And I'm assuming no one had problems jumping in BEFORE that...

If the stories are written to be accessible, they are jumping on points.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

In the former timeline this all took place over, at most, a six or seven year period, so its not much different

In 2006, it was mentioned that it had only been two years since Superman had died. By that logic, it had been three (or maybe four) years since Dick became Nightwing.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  9. Admiral_Young

^ The previous time line was condensed to ten years or something like that. Little tweaks and changes had been made, nothing like what they have now though.

10. Admiral_Young

I just finished reading the Trinity War Free Comic Book Day preview...and wow. Lots of interesting stuff covered in the book...but it is quite clear to me that DC Editorial over the last year or whatever intends on completely remaking and restructuring their universe. It makes me wonder why they didn't just go for a complete full reboot instead of a relaunch with some continuity carried over. I digress though...

I'm actually starting to like Pandora the more I see of her...wouldn't mind a figure of her in a future New 52 Wave to be honest. The stuff with the magic and the origins of the 52' Verse Phatom Stranger and Question (is Renee still Question 2??) were interesting. Not to mention the Talia Al Ghul recruitment line from Etta...was that a reference to her role as Levithian or something else? I just can't help but continue to have a "weird" feeling about the 52'Verse. There is very little that I like, and more that I dislike.

11. Derishton

Batman Inc was great. Anyone else reading the Vandal Savage DC Presents? I thought it was pretty good. Given the series' remit to tell stories set at any point in DC continuity, I'm assuming this is set closer to "Five Years Ago" than it is to the present era, because otherwise they lose every Vandal Savage story ever told outside of "Return of Bruce Wayne" and Demon Knights (given that the story is clear that Vandal has been in prison 16 years). No sign of Scandal, but no obvious clues that Scandal doesn't exist, either.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They've dumped most of the stories of far more prominent characters than Vandal Savage. I don't see them worrying about that.

13. Derishton

But they haven't dumped much of the Green Lantern stuff, and he's involved in that; he's crucial to the origins of the Bat tribe. I don't think prominence is playing as much of a role in what they've dropped and what they haven't, outside of Batman and Hal Jordan. It's all about proximity to the big storylines, and Savage is pretty connected that way.

On the other hand, there's no reason why this can't be an Earth-2 title; wasn't Savage a Justice Society villain when he began?

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He first appeared as a foe of Green Lantern back in the 1940s.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't know.

I'm really hoping that the Question origin is more related to the Crime Bible-Faceless stuff.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

17. Admiral_Young

Wonder Woman continues to be awesome. I am wondering when we're going to start shifting with all the mythology to the real world. I think we've only seen Steve Trevor in Justice League so far and minor details of Diana's past.

Action Comics was also awesome...I liked President Ellis/Superman and the origin was very cool. I'd love to see more of Earth-23.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I haven't gotten to this issue yet myself, but I have read that Steve Trevor also makes an appearance in JL Dark #9, the first issue where Jeff Lemire takes over the title.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

he does. he pretty much tells Constantine to get the band back together. it was kind of an odd issue.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I thought it was a good issue. I didn't find it odd, any odder than what or how the characters within the book have been operating thus far.