Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Modern flatscreens usually have the VESA mount points. So that would be my first guess.

2. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Hmmm, may not have room on some sections for the flat screens which is why we were considering the picture frames. Gotta think on this a bit... Thanks for the input!

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

On the Polaris set they just built wooden frames and set the monitors in those, then screwed a faceplate over them.

4. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Another thing you might think about is the use of digital frames for is props like the tricorder. The small key chains can be inserted in small hand held dummy props, and they are fairly cheep. Stargate Atlantis used to used old Palm Pilots in some of their hand props. Some were for displays, some were rigged to use the light to back light a static image overlay.

You could work the key chain frame into the one of the arms of the captains chair. But that may not have any real practical value. Take a look at this thread I recently found for some TOSmovie era ideas...

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=29237&page=16

Check the entire thread out. Lots of kewl stuff.

5. Potemkin_Prod

Definitely! Thanks!

6. Potemkin_Prod

Just a quick note: We should have the majority of the bridge set completed by the end of this extended weekend.

We're already notifying the cast of projected shooting schedules. Hopefully our short, test film vignette will be shot before the end of the month.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

R

7. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How'd it go? I managed to do a little work on mine as well -- though still no updates. I have to be better about documenting my progress instead of just working on it!

8. Potemkin_Prod

We've got the basic bridge complete. Going to sand and touch up some spots tonight. Also going to build the frame of the turbolift set so we can hang it up. It's just a backdrop, so to speak, so it won't take long. Also going to hang the first of the overhead ventilation grids to see how that looks. Will also do a little trim work.

You're right about updating; it takes a lot of time to do it, time I'd rather spend on the set itself, but I should have an update and a couple of announcements by this weekend.

9. Potemkin_Prod

To-Do List

1) Remove all plastic lenses from section dividers and replace with cloth strips. Will need to carefully remove trim off four dividers and replace them with as little damage as possible. We'll need to get two more such trim pieces to go along the backdoor.

2) Need to sand section dividers along "back door" and re-touch the paint. Must not get paint on the consoles or captain's chair or carpet. Need to install the 1x2's on each side of the turbolift (must paint them first, but what color? grey, black, or silver?).

3) Need to purchase and install overhead "ventilation" system. This means purchasing 5 more of those things and cutting five copies of the template we created tonight. The others go along the top of the forward viewscreen, over the starboard turbolift (one of the left over pieces will fit the port turbolift perfectly.

4) We've got to come up with a plan for the back door ceiling. I'm thinking of doing what I did for the forward viewscreen. That is a 4x8 service board with a 1" board across one side of it (the side facing the set) for stability. That would be an excellent thing as far as the ceiling goes because that means the ventilation doesn't need those weird cut angles.

5) Turbolift. We need to frame in the turbolift. It should look like /-------\ so we can move it (sort of like the Klingon bridge set, but smaller -- door height. We also might need to do an overhead piece like on the "back door."

6) Railing. I had a great idea about the bridge railing. Last night, while I was hammering those framing sides for the back, I screwed a 2x4 into some 24" pieces, and realized that if I had created 36" pieces for it, I would have a very passable railing. Just would need to sand it nicely, and cut it at a 15 degree angle like the bridge set. It wouldn't even have to be attached to the flooring because at that angle, it will stand up on its own. We could then easily move it for filming purposes. What do you think?

7) Carpeting. We've got to check the bins at Home Depot where I got what we used. Might get lucky; you never know.

8) Chairs. Got to talk with Flint Office Furniture about four more chairs.

9) Airconditioner. I found one on-line at Home Depot for $299. Holding out to see if Lowes will beat the price.

10) Hang the appliques. I'm thinking right now of the stapler. We need to cut one out and test it before we do all of them, but that's the last thing we need to do.

10. Potemkin_Prod

11. Melonpool

Wow! I love the way you did those vents at the top of the consoles! What did you use for those? I may steal that for mine!

12. Potemkin_Prod

16" vinyl soffit (the stuff that goes underneath a house's overhanging roof). It took a grinder to cut it to size, and tonight I'm looking at a way of better obscurring the corners where they meet the turbolifts, mainviewer and "back door." Then I've got to paint the trim another coat, touch up the painted partitions of the back door, and then I'll be ready to install the railing.

13. Potemkin_Prod

Been very productive weekend again. Installed carpeting on the lower deck (my wife says, "I didn't know you knew how to install carpeting" and I said, "I don't" but it didn't keep me from doing it). Bridge is ready except for railing (going to do that tonight), and I think I want a turbolift mockup still even though the current script doesn't call for it.

Got our first decals from Thomas and they look good. Going to print them on vinyl and place them this evening....

14. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Ah, the advantage of working on a set... if you did it wrong, no one to complain but you. But watch out next time you need new carpeting at home!

15. Potemkin_Prod

Ricky and I both worked all evening on the carpeting. We're about 75% done with it.

Rained this evening so we opted not to work with the decals or the railing. Should be able to handle both tomorrow. :)

I'm actually learning a lot more about fixing up around the house than I would've ever dreamed....

16. Melonpool

You think it was an accident there was never a toilet on the Enterprise? It was just so none of the set builders had to do any work around their houses!

17. Potemkin_Prod

LOL -- Actually, I've had to fix the sink next to the bridge twice since construction began. Fortunately, no problems with the head yet.

18. Potemkin_Prod

Whew! 99% finished with the carpeting. Painted some trim for the backdoor. Almost there...

19. Melonpool

I'm totally going to play catch-up this weekend -- and actually take some pictures this time! I've been building the false floor system and it's taking longer than I thought (as everything does).

20. Potemkin_Prod

We're under crunch time. We're filming our vignette next Friday. Still no decals, but just a few minute's work on the carpeting and an hour of work on the railing and we're just about done.

R