The Legend of Korra: Book 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I doubt it's going to affect the budget given the long development time of animation. They're probably already halfway through animating it.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That makes sense but I've always liked the idea of everyone having competence and not just one person.

Eventhough I've talked about the end of the avatar cycle, I've sometimes entertained the idea of a futuristic world where someone was trying to bring back the avatar and possibly meeting with a host of problems because they're using technology and missing the spiritual component.

I know. It's just an idea I had a while back. I argued that maybe someone could make a breakthrough and learn to bend or even acquire other elements through meditation the way Zaheer did when he learned to fly. Then after "Beginnings" I thought that maybe others could learn to join with spirits and become avatars themselves.

I respect the rules of bending though, and wouldn't want to see any changes like this being made lightly. If they ever did do this, it would have to be a part of a major shift that makes sense and shows that this is what people are ready for. This show is ripe for that whether it goes in that direction or not.

I'm not worried. It's been in production for a while now.

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Zaheer didn't acquire other elements, though. He only found another type of airbending that hadn't been used in 4000 years. It seems to require detachment from the world that Zaheer only achieved after his girlfriend lost her head.

I loved seeing the Beifong sisters fighting together. I'm sure if Toph shows up again, she'll be glad to see that her girls have put aside their differences.

4. Agent Richard07

Yeah, he went out of his mind where all his limitations were. ;)

I accept that acquiring bending isn't that simple. You need something more involved like energy bending.

I wonder if we'll see her in Book 4. If we don't, that's okay. I'm happy to leave her fate a mystery.

5. Peach Wookiee

Maybe we'll see Toph in the spirit world... young again and with Iroh. :)

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Unalaq in Season 2 claimed that by joining with Vaatu he would become a "Dark Avatar," but even that wouldn't be true. The real Avatar can access the other elements because Raava held on to them. Vaatu never did that. Unalaq would really just become an uber Dark Waterbender.

What I've wondered is if the Avatar can grant bending to non-benders. The Avatar can bend the energies within a person to take their bending away, but is there any reason the opposite couldn't be true?

7. Agent Richard07

That's true. The potential to bend more than one element exists but actually getting to that point would be problematic because the various steps that Wan went through aren't readily available.

Aang didn't create more air benders so we can assume that he either can't or hasn't learned the energybending technique that the turtles used.

8. Agent Richard07

Here's something I've been wondering... Is Wan a well known part of history? Korra didn't know who he was or how he became the avatar but that could have been due to her amnesia.

Thing is, if Wan's story is so well known, then why are other things so sketchy like the origin of bending? And if Wan isn't well known then how do Tenzin and Zaheer know so much about him?

9. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Maybe Wan's era was a dismissible part of history to the modern populace?

The Red Lotus must have known about Raava and Vaatu. Unalaq seemed to be making his own deranged decision to work with Vaatu, not be getting tricked by unexpectedly encountering Vaatu.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<<Here's something I've been wondering... Is Wan a well known part of history? Korra didn't know who he was or how he became the avatar but that could have been due to her amnesia.

Thing is, if Wan's story is so well known, then why are other things so sketchy like the origin of bending? And if Wan isn't well known then how do Tenzin and Zaheer know so much about him? >>

In the Season 2 premiere, Jinora finds the statue of Wan off to the side and unkempt and doesn't know who he is, and she was the one obsessed with Avatar history.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

We are getting a fourth book, but I wouldn't expect anything after that and I think the creators know such.

12. Peach Wookiee

I hope we get another series, but who knows?

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Series in the British sense like a 5th season or another spinoff?

14. Peach Wookiee

Another spin-off would be nice. So we'd have an Earthbender next.

15. Agent Richard07

If they do another show, it would probably up the ante or have some new angle that the first two shows didn't. I don't think we'll see something as simple or straightforward as "the next avatar". If Korra isn't the last avatar and if a new show follows this one then we'd have an earthbender in a modern or futuristic setting, possibly a dystopian one seeing as how the Earth Kingdom has fallen into chaos. And given that they're off Nick (sort of), I can see even more 'adult' themes being added. That qualifies as new and different.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  16. Peach Wookiee

I don't see them getting rid of the Avatar. Nick may not know what to do with the series on TV, but it still makes them money. So as long as that's the case, they may want another series. We had the original series set in olden times and Korra is set in the equivalent of the roaring 20s. So we can push to a modern era in the next installment, assuming Korra doesn't die in the next season without going into the Avatar State.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Aang also never learned how to fly. Zaheer was the first person to master that ability in, what did they say...a thousand years?

It's certainly not something they could master easily, but I wonder if it's a power than a human Avatar could possess at all. The Lion Turtle gave Aang the power to Energy Bend in A:TLA series finale; presumably no Avatar before him had the power to do it.

Wan's story happened 10,000 years ago. It's ancient history, a myth. When Aang was in the Spirit Library in Season 2, he found a book and said, "Look at these weird Lion Turtle things!" None of them had any idea that those creatures existed, let alone that humans used to live on them!

There are obviously people who know about the ancient past (Unalaq...the Red Lotus...), but those people are few and far between. 10,000 years is a long time to hold on to knowledge...especially in a world without the internet! :p

18. Peach Wookiee

4000 years, RoJoHen. An Airbender hadn't mastered flying in 4000 years.

But darn... they came pretty close to killing Korra.

19. Agent Richard07

It looked like the turtle simply unlocked the wisdom of energy bending that was already in him. Looks like others, possibly everyone, has that ability too since people used to bend energy within themselves.

Personally, I'd like to believe that it's possible for an avatar to grant bending like the turtles did, if they learn how, just as how Zaheer learned to fly or how others learned to bend metal, lava, lightning, etc.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was the autocorrect on my tablet. I guess I missed that one.:scream: