Picard/Crusher

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Komack, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Komack

Komack Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Having spent the last summer watching TOS with my kids, in September we switched to TNG. Thanks for the wonder of Netflix, and the ability to sit on the couch and watch multiple episodes, we have just finished the seventh season. In general, we all found the budding Picard/Crusher romance to be an unbelievable plot twist - maybe, in large part, to what seemed to be the utter lack of chemistry between the two actors/characters. Is there a general consensus among the fans re the romance?

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

A consensus? Among Trek fans?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I didn't find it any more unbelievable than the Worf/Troi "romance" that came out of nowhere and went nowhere, or the 7-of-9/Chakotay "romance" that came out of nowhere and went nowhere, etc. That's apparently how love works in the 24th century.

4. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Plot twist"? Are you serious? That romance was hinted at for six seasons. Off the top of my head I can think of The Naked Now, Arsenal of Freedom, Remember Me.

Agreed.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are Picard and Crusher meant to be an item post-"Attached"? He completely ignores her in the TNG movies.

I actually think Picard and Beverly are a good fit - they're both dull as ditchwater!

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Picard was far too busy being an out-of-character action hero to be wasting his time with Crusher. Or Riker. Or Geordi. Or Troi. Or Worf. Or anyone else who did absolutely nothing in those stupid movies.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Make that all seven seasons, since they got married in the alternate future of All Good Things.... It could have spanned the whole series, if only it had been explicitly spelled out in the very first episode.

8. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Trek often does not do romance well (although I do kind of like Torres & Paris together on Voyager). But Picard and Crusher had negative chemistry. The whole thing felt very forced.

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. MikeS

I said six because she wasn't in season two. :bolian:

11. CorporalCaptain

Alright, but my point was that, if we're going to pick and choose sections of the series in which the idea was "in effect," then it's really an on-again/off-again romance that only shows up in specific episodes, and nowhere near the majority of the series (six or seven seasons). By the time of the second season, it had already been established as a latent issue between them, so that's why I counted the second season as covered in the period of time in which it had already been established.

The fact is, and the point here is, that a latent romance between them was established by episode #2, so in no way can it be called a "twist" when it shows up later. It showing up later only confirmed that it wasn't an idea that had been abandoned.

:techman:

12. MikeS

I am now wondering if it was actually reffered to in Season 2, though surreptitiously, in The Child?

13. CorporalCaptain

You mean:

Yep, that's indicating intimate knowledge of her feelings, isn't it. Ultimately inconclusive, but still, good catch.

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got the sense early on that they had a fling (or an almost-fling) in the past. Then for the rest of the series, there was sexual tension from time to time between the two of them (at least that was the vibe I was getting). So it was no surprise to me when they actually got together.

15. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In canon, Picard and Crusher never actually do get together, except in the alternate timeline (which doesn't end up happening) of "All Good Things" where they end up divorced.

I love both the Picard and Crusher characters. The two of them have a nice chemistry on screen that comes across as a very warm, comfortable friendship. Romantically, not so much. Their interactions in 'The Naked Now" came across as embarrassingly silly and sophomoric. Of course, it was supposed to be silly and sophomoric since they were both stoned off their *sses. In my opinion as a romantic pairing they really don't bring anything special out in each other. To quote Q, "This human emotion, love, it's a dangerous thing, Picard and obviously you're ill-equipped to handle it. She's found a vulnerability in you, a vulnerability I've been looking for for years." You don't see that vulnerability in Picard in regards to Crusher. Picard treats Cruser no differently than he would treat any of his other officers.

"Captain's Holiday" shows a relaxed, off-duty Jean-Luc Picard flirting and making love to Vash (to the point allowed by network sensors anyway). They have amazing sexual chemistry and sparks fly when they bicker with each other, culminating in the way he bellows at her about the dangers involved in going to Sarthong V. In "Qpid" we see how Picard is prone to taking extreme actions concerning Vash, storming a castle single handily and running Sir Guy through with a broad sword while the two men duel over her. This was Q's point to Picard in "Qpid" when he says, "Sadly, they're all fine... but the point is they could have been killed, and you might have been too... all for the Love Of A Maid."

In "Lessons" we see Picard flirting and making love to Nella Darren (again to the point allowed by network sensors). The chemistry isn't as fiery as it is with Vash, the interplay is a bit more subdued but he is obviously smitten. However the sorrow is palpable as Picard shuts down when it is believed she is dead on the planet. When she returns, Picard tells her in a quiet impassioned voice, "I've lost people under my command, people who were very dear to me. But never someone I've been in love with." He goes on to say, "I knew I could never again put your life in jeopardy."

In canon, we simply do not see the same kind of vulnerability in Picard's relationship with Crusher.

Of all the people on the Enterprise (series regulars) I think Picard's relationship with Guinan is the most intense. He is shown to take her word on anything, over everything. He removes the "command mask" more with her than anyone else onboard. Picard's most tender moment in my opinion is in "Time's Arrow" part 2, when he stays behind to make sure an injured Guinan is all right. He cradles her in his lap and strokes her cheek and tells her "I didn't want anything to happen to you. You're far too important to me." When she asks if they become friends, he replies, "It goes far beyond friendship."

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  16. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard ignored Beverly in the movies because he knew that if they got married (my fingers almost typed 'martyred' :lol:) it would never last. Better to nip it in the bud and move on the the hot 300 yr old chick in INS. ;)

17. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I was a kid watching the show I definitely thought they were a couple. Now as an adult I see a bit less chemistry between them. That said I still think they end up together. (although I would rather have seen Picard marry Vash)

18. MikeS

Allegiance

19. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was also supposed to get various call-backs throughout Nemesis, but nearly all of Dr Crusher's scenes got cut out, unfortunately.

20. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I go the impression (mainly from the episode Attached) that Picard was always trying to hold himself back out of some sort of respect for his late best friend Jack. He felt guilty for having feelings for Beverly when Jack was alive and even after Jack died Picard felt like he was stabbing his friend in the back if he pursued a relationship with Bev. To be honest, other than Riker and Deanna, Picard and Beverly is the only Trek relationship that I would really think was believable. I guess Paris and Torres were fine, but I rarely ever think about them as a couple. I've never been a fan of Kira/Odo or Chakotay/7. Maybe Dax and Worf are okay, but even that felt a little off at times.