Brannon Braga: Not a Diane Carey Fan?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by SpaceCadetJuan, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, sure, but it's possible that what she was setting up was not the character's rescue, but the aftermath of his death. It's been a long time since I read it, but I think that was the vibe I got, that this was a done deal and its consequences would have to be lived with.

And either way, since this was the last story we got, I think it works as a definitive conclusion whether it was intended to be or not.

2. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

Yeah, and I wasn't necessarily saying the "resolution" would be his rescue, it might just have easily been his death. It seemed to me like it could have gone either way. The reason it was a good cliffhanger is, you don't know for sure.

Reminds me of The Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger- at the time, I really thought there was a good chance they might kill off Picard. (Saw a Jonathan Frakes interview yesterday where he said the cast at the time thought the same, thought that Stewart might be renegotiating his contract and might be killed off.) I think what made that such a good cliffhanger was, a Picard rescue did not seem like a sure thing.

And yes, that's on my mind right now because I'm going on Thursday. :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, I knew someone would nitpick my usage of the word "cliffhanger." Let's say "unresolved story point."

4. Christopher

^Same thing. What I was saying was that it didn't feel unresolved to me -- Bonifay had chosen to sacrifice himself and that was the resolution. The decisive point wasn't when his heart stopped but when the characters accepted it as the way things were going to be. As is the case with many stories in episodic media, it was an ending that could be continued from if there were sequels but also could work as a final resolution in their absence.

5. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

Just be thankful Bonifay didn't stifle a groan on his way to be executed.

JonnyQuest037 and Corran Horn like this.
  6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

LOLZ FOR REALZ?

Does that mean Ensign Janeway from the Enterprise-D is actually related to Captain Janeway from Voyager?

Is Admiral Chekote from TNG then related to Commander Chakotay from Voyager?

Or Khan Noonien Singh is related to Dr. Noonian Soong?

Or perhaps Phlox is related to Phlox?

Or Valerie Archer, a member of Species 8472 is actually a relation (by marriage of course!) to Jonathan Archer?

Let's not limit it to Trek, either. I mean, it's entirely possible Mickey Smith is somehow related to Sarah Jane Smith, right?

Or Ianto Jones is related to Martha Jones?

Or it's entirely possible that each of these characters is unrelated and just happen to have the same last names because that's the way they were fucking written.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  7. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

I'm stifling a groan at this thread. :rommie:

somebuddyX likes this.
  8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I agree, but had there been another installment, we'd have probably found out whether Keller permitted Bonifay's sentence to be carried out. There was a lot of debate by fans about whether Keller would weaken or not, and try to save him.

9. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

The thing about names reminds me of an interview about Brinkmanship, where the interviewer commented on the Cardassian's spy's name's similarity to tv cardassians. In that case Una was deliberately doing worldbuilding - names are common societal signifiers, that don't often mean known relation. Lols about the small world mentality in fictional worlds that means everyone must be related by some recent, important connection!

Nyotarules likes this.
  10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're both related to Harriet Jones. ;)

11. doubleohfive

"Yes, I know who she is."

:lol: :techman:

12. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Ancestors of Cyrano Jones, perhaps?

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Any relation to Indiana?

14. doubleohfive

We named the dog Indiana! :rofl:

15. Christopher

And they're part of a vast, Wold-Newtonesque clan that also includes Miranda Jones, Cleopatra Jones, Rick Jones, Jessica Jones, Davy Jones of the Monkees, and Rocky Jones, Space Ranger.

16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Rocky Jones...I've got the "Crash Of The Moons" on DVD and the DVD company (Front Row) compared Rocky to Captain Kirk.

17. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

And, of course, David Bowie, whose real name is David Jones (which is why his son, the director of Source Code and Moon, goes by Duncan Jones -- he apparently grew tired of being Zowie Bowie.)

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Bridget Jones wrote in all down in her diary. She had to keep up with the Joneses.

19. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't forget their strange cousin, Forsythe. I believe he goes by the nickname "Jughead."

20. Christopher

And of course Fred Jones, the founder of Mystery Incorporated.