The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    :(

I'm so sorry, Shazam. That's one of the things I detested about some of the figures from that period. The blades that snapped off if you so much as breathed on them. The worst offender was the "Geonosian Rescue" Mace Windu, whose purple blade had a very thin and fragile nib that broke easily, rendering his(quite nicely painted and screen accurate)metal-hilt useless. A ton of collectors back in 2002 wrote to websites and fan magazines complaining about that figure's weapon. Well, I suppose if push comes to shove you can krazy/super glue the blade to the hilt and use it that way. At least this way you know it won't pop off again unless you use tremendous force.

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish I still had all my old Major Matt Mason stuff.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL I remember that. They had a bit of a thing for metal hilts because the figures used magnets to hold them *facepalm*

4. cooleddie74

The magnetic lightsaber "Force Attraction" feature was either disappointing or a complete failure on most of the figures of that period...I can't think of many where it functioned very well. The Bespin Duel Darth Vader with the breakaway piece of the Cloud City walkway/gantry had an effective magnetic feature that was kinda fun, but the figure's armor and costume were inaccurate for THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. His eye lens color and upper torso were the way Vader appeared in A NEW HOPE. He was the wrong Darth Vader to be packaged in with EMPIRE accessories. :lol:

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I had that Vader (still do sitting in a bin, I guess) and the magnet in his hand that was supposed to attract the lightsaber actually worked too well. One day it came right out of his hand, when I pulled the saber away. Now he just has a big hole in his hand.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been collecting My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic figurines.

This set is G4 Mane Six, from last year's exclusive McDonalds release:

[​IMG]

This one is the same set, but with the addition of 'Minty', which was a G3 McDonalds exclusive. She was a gift from my niece.

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like much yet, but I plan on expanding outward. My only gripe is the lack of show accurate G4 ponies. I'm hoping Hasbro will remedy that soon, though if this thread is any indication, it seems Hasbro's not so hot at that type of thing.

7. cooleddie74

:adore: :luvlove: :adore: :luvlove: :adore: :luvlove:

Looking at your photos my disgruntlement with Hasbro suddenly vanishes. What was that about somebody not being hot about some type of thing? That's a shame.

[​IMG]

8. Amaris

:lol:

The thing is, Hasbro can make these characters very accurate for McDonalds, but why not for their main line? Sure, some are coming out now, but they're all the 1 inch models (I had a bunch of those but gave them to my niece last year). They don't have to be brushable for me to want them. I just wish they'd get a move on. I want full sized figurines from Hasbro directly (though these are close), not through McDonalds or whomever.

Oh, and as you can see, Rainbow Dash is in front for obvious reasons (though I love all ponies equally).

Now, the downside to these figurines is that if you can make it out on the sides, their cutie marks are all one color, which is a bit annoying for someone like myself who wants show accurate figurines, and makes no sense when you see 2008's Minty has multiple colors on her cutie mark. Now, here's 2011 Dashie for comparison:

[​IMG]

Still, they're the most accurate I've seen. Also, no Applejack hat, which is frustrating, too. I'm wondering if I can find one from a toy collection, like say Barbie, and use it for her hat.

9. cooleddie74

Hasbro has a lot of work to do to make its MLP toys "correct." It's probably going to take them a long time to get their butts in gear and catch up with what the fans would love to see, but if nothing else the leaked news that the company might be working on a series of MLP:FiM plushies that are supposedly going to be fairly screen accurate is very encouraging. They're starting to listen to the Brony community and that's a big step up in the right direction. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed that 2013 and 2014 see some Brony-friendly merchandise. :)

10. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Wai-hai-hait. Whaaa? Where is this coming from?

11. cooleddie74

Someone mentioned it in the threads and we got to talking about the plushies we'd like to see and how we'd like them to be packaged and marketed. Don't take it as written in stone because it might amount to nothing, but it was a very recent topic of conversation. J. Allen can probably confirm or squelch the rumor better than any of us. If my memory's mistaken then my bad.

12. Amaris

Yeah, I'm curious about that. If true (not saying you're lying eddie), then I'll be able to get me a Rainbow Dash plushie! [​IMG]

Well damn. :lol:
    I'll get back to you. I do remember a conversation, and I did read it somewhere.

13. cooleddie74

Wait, was it something officially leaked or did we just HEAR that one of us WANTED to hear news this good and it was never more than conjecture? Damn, my memory's not what it used to be. :lol:

Oh, definitely not lying J....I can promise you that much! But I might be misinterpreting our wishes for a leaked rumor. So much Pony talk goes on in these threads it often becomes a white noise blur. Arrrrrgh!

14. Amaris

Yeah, we did discuss it, as I had just found out myself (I didn't think you were lying, though). I believe the word came down from the Horse's mouth (ahem) in an email to someone who asked about MLP:FiM plushies. I'll find out.

Also:
    [​IMG]

15. cooleddie74

If we can get some sort of confirmation on this that would be so awesome. So sorry if I wound up giving you the wrong information, J. and Malakai. My memory's often a shadow of what it used to be, even about things I adore and follow. D'oh! :p

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I......I want show accurate ponies.

I have the Mcdonalds ones from last month, but they're still not close enough.

Heck, I'd buy two sets! One for normal display, and one to turn my avatar into toys!

17. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

So do I. I have no confidence it will happen.

That said, if they wanted to make really high-quality, accurate plushies, I'd hope they'd license the design and construction out to another company, because their own attempts are really sad. One that comes to mind is Folkmanis Puppets, who make commercially-available, affordable, and insanely awesome stuffed animals. I had all their stuff when I was a kid and it was great. Judging by their website, they haven't lost their touch, either. I'd love to see them tackle ponies.

Either that or hire talent from the Brony community. WhiteDove Creations has basically perfected the art of pony patterns; the only shortcoming is her heads are too narrow from the front, but that's easily remedied.

18. Amaris

I emailed Hasbro and asked about them, and I'll let you know what they tell me as soon as they get back with me.

One of the reasons I didn't get the McD's ponies this year is that they're the same as last year's only with those ring thingies that I'd try desperately to sand down and repaint, something I don't want to do.

19. cooleddie74

Thanks for this, J. I hope my addled memory hasn't given you false hopes, but if there was any truth to what we were discussing in those earlier conversations I'd be so fricking stoked. Even if they wouldn't bother with a Derpy plushie I'd happily buy the others, especially if they came in gift sets and boxes.

[​IMG]

20. Amaris

No, I really do remember we had a conversation, and that I had learned from an email from someone that Hasbro was talking about making G4 MLP:FiM plushes. Hopefully, a rep will be able to clear it all up.

Now, that said, I do have a friend over at Brony Kingdom who has a friend who makes plushies. They're not intricately detailed, and they're not very big, but they're nice, certainly adorable, and I've been wanting to get one. She sells them for $33 a piece, which includes shipping. Her website is here: http://sodas-shop.tumblr.com/