Will We Ever See a Quantum Leap TV Movie? (IE, True Finale)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

For some reason, I was thinking the other day about how they made a "Dukes of Hazard" reunion TV movie about a decade or so ago. And how NBC did a couple of "Hunter" TV movies. So the idea has got into my head that maybe, just maybe, what with nostalgia being as profitable as it is, and TV movies being much less expensive than theater reboots...

...*Shakes head* I know, I know, it's a pipe dream. Show has been off the air for nearly 20 years. If it was going to happen it would have happened.

It's just... Dean Stockwell isn't getting any younger. And Scott Bakula, he's nearing 60 (2-3 years)...

Nostalgia makes money. And 20 years after something is prime time for such.

Sigh.

2. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's been QL talk on and off ever since the series ended. It would not surprise me if SOMETHING happened, especially considering the culture vampire mainstrem Hollywood is currently operating under the spell of.

But this time, it would be a good thing.

If they don't fuck it up.

3. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

From Wiki,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap_(TV_series)

What was the last new project Bellisario has done? NCIS and its spin-off?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As long as Bellisario, Bakula and Stockwell are up for it (and AFAIK, they all are), then there is a chance.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there almost a Quantum Leap TV movie for NBC back in 2001 but Bakula ended up signing the deal with Paramount for "Enterprise"? IIRC, Bakula was divided but ultimately decided on "Enterprise" due to the job security.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It would nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Source Code is probably the nearest we're going to get to a movie for Quantum Leap (or Seven Days for that matter).

8. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

We won't see a finale film made because the final episode indicated that there was nothing to do a finale about. I do expect to see someone remake/reimagine the show eventually, though, since there are no original ideas in Hollywood.

Alex

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Yep, it was called A Bold Leap Forward. It would have centered around

Sam's daughter, Sammy Jo - whom he fathered in the Trilogy - going in search of her father.

But it wasn't until 2004 that they talked about doing that. Scott signed onto ENT before the QL revival was even thought of, AFAIK.

You mean the final text crawl? About Sam never returning home? They can always ignore that. Or stick on a final word: "yet." ;)

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironic, considering how THAT turned out.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a Quantum Leap TV movie, as long as it's a one-time thing that wraps up the story left hanging in the series. I don't think we need anything more than that.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I like the Sammy Jo Fuller idea and wouldn't mind seeing that revived.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

I wouldn't mind seeing Sam and Al's first meeting. Did we ever find out what this "Starbright" was that Al was supposedly involved with before the QL project?

13. RandyS

One of the novels covered Sam and Al's first meeting. I don't recall the title though.

14. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that ironic. At that time, a TV pilot for NBC or Star Trek isn't really that tough a decision, if you take nostalgia out of the equation. And I bet Enterprise still would have lasted longer.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Scott Bakula once said that Jonathan Archer's middle name is Beckett. Just for shits and giggles I'd love to see them actually try and place QL and Trek in the same universe. :lol:

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind Dynamite Comics getting a hold of the rights so they could take a crack at continuing their story. They'd done some pretty good things with previous properties.

17. RandyS

Yeah, that WOULD be interesting, wouldn't it?:lol:

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't accept the assumption that the series finale is somehow not a "true" finale just because it leaves some questions. That's bull. Not every story is about giving simple, clear answers to every question. A lot of fiction is about not giving answers, about leaving the audience with questions they have to make up their own minds about. It's about challenging audiences to think for themselves, to ponder and debate the questions and find their own answers, rather than just being passive sponges absorbing what's spoonfed to them.

And really, the kind of finale we got makes sense for a show like QL. There was always an underlying sense of spirituality to it, an idea of a mysterious greater power at work. And so ultimately, instead of handing us clear, tangible answers, Bellisario provided a finale that was more about faith, about mystery, about moving beyond this life into an unknowable existence beyond it. That fits right into the underlying spirituality of the show and moves it to front and center. And that strikes me as a perfectly appropriate and "true" finale. I don't see what more there is to say.

19. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. I would like more QL stories, but I do consider the series finale a great one. And yeah, there is no reason all the threads should be trimmed and everything should be just wrapped up in a bow at the end of a series for the ending to be a proper one.

Mystery is good. Leave some mystery. Like life, a good story should not be just "solved".

20. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want to see the episode where Sam leaps into the body of a Paramount suit, and his mission is to stop TATV being made.