New Trek Series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Chris Karak, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well then, you'll just have to not watch it.

It's ridiculously unlikely right now that Paramount would greenlight a Trek series without Abrams's involvement - the networks fall all over themselves to get him involved with any TV series, so of course a studio contemplating a series based on a property that he's revitalized to incredible success is going to go first to him.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay seriously, I've liked the Star Trek Academy idea for a long time. It's just that I have zero faith that TV will make it anything more than Teen Emo Angst/Drunken Frat Party in Space. Take the damn premise seriously, set a lot of it in away missions with the cadets, and follow them for three years after graduation (or do an eight-year show with two groups of students), and you could have a perfectly fine series.

3. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I suppose it might not be horrible. I immediately equate that sort of show with exactly what you mentioned though.

4. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh I'm sure the show would be Teen Emo Angst. But that is exactly what CW looks for. And since CBS owns 50% of CW, they may actually do it. Throw in Bad Robot having a TV production deal with Warner Brothers, and the former President of Bad Robot being in charge of drama development at CW and you have all the ducks in a row for a return to TV Trek.

Smallville is ending after this season, so maybe CW will want to replace 10 years of Emo Clark avoiding being Superman with 10 years of Emo Kirk avoiding being a captain. This might not be what any of us here want for Trek on TV, but I hate to say it, it's the most likely outcome.

5. Quinton O'Connor

And while I've never been the sort to discount anything on-screen from being canonical, I'll change my mind after that starts. You'll find me on top of the Empire State Building, shouting the following line:

"It's a faaaaake!"

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am more than willing to risk Teen Emo Angst if that's the only shot at Star Trek back on TV. After all, CW shows don't always stink. Supernatural and Reaper for instance.

7. Quinton O'Connor

Supernatural is actually pretty good, I can get behind that. Its target demographic shows sometimes, but apart from some episodes I could really have lived without and the occasional terribly low-brow moment that made me debate changing the channel, I've found that the majority of my time keeping up with it proved quite entertaining.

8. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd love to have a series set in the early 23rd century (2209 or something like that)

seeing the turn of a century and a future after a devestating war 50 years ago.

9. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A new series is plausible.
    I vote for a Captain Pike series, spun off from the new film universe and perhaps even launched as a subplot in one of the sequels of the Abram's franchise... Pike is an established character in Trek, and a solid link to classic Trek lore and it's reboot. And giving the series a familiar link with a character ripe for further development. A Pike series would be a reboot inside a reboot based on concepts and characters from Star Trek's earliest draft, but still being something totally new.

It could be done well, on a quality network, with Bruce Greenwood reprising his role as Pike (no he was not paralyzed, he was just recuperating after being tortured). As a well established actor whose done both television and film roles, Greenwood could carry a series and give the show weight and credibility.

With Christopher Pike being a highly experienced Starfleet captain we'd see him as an anchor to the supporting cast, a distant mentor like Grissom in CSI. He could be the captain of a smaller ship with a stripped down crew, perhaps even with academy students among them. Bring back "Number One" from The Cage, and with a mix of rookie and veteran crew members interacting on a smaller, lighter duty ship. Done with the film's stylistic production values, but as a TV series, attention could still be given to tell solid stories closer to the roots of TOS, infused with action while not being a direct clone of NuTrek, just a healthy mix. A series less focused on battle scenes and more on adventurous exploration.

10. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would the put a senior and highly experience captain like Pike on the bridge of a stripped down training ship? Especially after they lost several starships to the Narada.

If he wasn't promoted to Admiral after Trek 11, he was put on the bridge of another ship like Enterprise or whatever the alt-verse version of the Miranda class is.

People always say they want their heroes flying around in some stripped-down garbage scow, I think they believe it will create more drama, and they think it's "gritty". Just go watch your Firefly DVDs again, I don't want to watch that every week in my Trek. ;)

11. FlapJoy

oops... accidental double post.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  12. FlapJoy

I didn't say any of that. I didn't mean "garbage scow", I meant a smaller ship then the TNG Enterprise or NuPrise. With a smaller crew of 300 to 400 instead of 1000 or more. Staffed with a healthy mix of veteran officers and new recruits, not a training vessel...I think Starfleet would run their ships like that anyway, as depicted in all the films, including the new one.

NOT "gritty"... I even mentioned it would be shot with the same production values of the new film, bright and clean... Not gritty, I NEVER said gritty nor would want that. I don't believe that would add any drama at all, you have that completely wrong and nothing in my post resembles those comments in the least.

Pike believes in Starfleet, and would take on a mission of pure exploration further out in the galaxy far from the boundaries of the Federation (strange NEW worlds, and all that) with a lighter duty ship like Voyager or the Reliant or style ship of that nature, but in the Abrams film era. As a highly experienced Captain he'd be like a mentor to the younger crew, and be respected by the veteran staff and earn loyalty from his entire crew.

Please read a little closer before you respond... just sayin'.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  13. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

i've already said it but i cant be said to many times. STAR TREK: Aventine. Post Destiny trilogy.