No Radiation Suits In The 23rd Century?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by austen_pierce, Sep 14, 2013.

1. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

With so much at stake, you'd think it would have occurred to anyone to don one.... this goes for STID as well as TWOK.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would think they'd impede movement to at least some degree.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not only that, but who knows how long it would take to suit up, and they were down to the wire regarding how much time they had left to take action before they became a pile of cinders drifting into the ocean.

From all indications in the movie, they managed to save themselves with handfuls of seconds to spare. If Kirk would have donned his suit, it might have been too late for the ship.

4. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would have been a hilarious shock ending.

Kirk and Scotty get suited up, go in there. Cut to EXT. CLOUDS, the Enterprise clips the clouds and smashes into the ocean.

SHHHHHH... Silence.

Cut to black, original 1960s end credits theme plays.

:lol:

5. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

I think there were guys in radiation suits in the background after they retrieved Kirk's body.

6. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Those were medical robots.

7. Amaris

That would have been awful! Hilarious, but awful! :lol:

8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    They really should start keeping one on a hook right next to the deadly radiation chamber.

9. Amaris

No radiation suits near a radioactive chamber (STiD); physically hitting a plasma chamber with a phaser rifle, immediately releases instantly lethal plasma into the engine room (STFC); No restraints in seats (TMP, TWOK, TSFS, TVH, TFF, TUC, GEN, STFC, STIN, STNEM); containment barrels stacked on top of one another and topple easily (TNG, VOY, DS9); OSHA would have shut down Starfleet a long time ago. :lol:

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too bad engineering didn't have any robots.

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

How about fuses and surge suppressors on anything electronic in Starfleet. You wouldn't be able to get me near a bridge console in a battle, those things are an electricians nightmare.

"Oh, you can fly the ship from a PADD? Fine, get a PADD and I'll fly the ship." And I guarantee you, some how that'd explode, electrocute me, and send me flying across the bridge the first time a Klingon fired on the ship.

12. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If that's how Into Darkness had ended it would have been my favourite Star Trek movie ever.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, they were supposed to be just guys in radiation suits.
    In the commentary they show the original and say Abrams just didn't like the way they looked in the scene, with just a small part of their face visible, so they added some cg masks to cover them up.

So, no reason why they have to be robots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  14. austen_pierce

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh, these things in white bug me the most. Whether they were robots or radiation suits, where were they when the warp core needed to be realigned?

And sure, Kirk needed to get in FAST to save the ship. Shouldn't Scotty or Chekov been suiting up to follow him in? Or sending in one of these 'robots'? At the very least they could have helped when Kirk was having trouble with the alignment and/or gotten him out sooner.

UNLESS the radiation emitted by the core is of a type against which suits are useless??? But I guess at that point, the walls would be kinds useless too. :rolleyes:

15. BillJ

Scotty got knocked out by Kirk and Chekov was restoring some system in deflector control behind the dish.

16. austen_pierce

He'd been wanting to do that the entire movie.

So where was the rest of the engineering crew?

17. BillJ

Likely had their heads planted firmly between their knees getting ready to kiss their asses goodbye. :lol:

On a more serious note, Spock did order the ship to be abandoned. Just because the bridge crew stayed doesn't mean all the departments did.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The shuttle bay didn't look too usable from what little we saw of it. Did they have escape pods, like the thing they shot Kirk out of the ship with in 09? If so I wish we'd have seen some pods escaping.

19. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't recall the exact running order of the plot but this version of the Enterprise has twice the number of crew? It's silly that a ship with that many engineers, during a red alert when all crew man battle stations and damage control stations didn't have dozens of engineers in radiation suits on hand to manage the core. I agree that they should also have drones to go in where possible.

The silliest thing is Kirk taking one for the team despite the fact that the whole ship will be destroyed if he fails and he isn't even an engineer. At least in TWoK we know that Spock has a decent knowledge of warp dynamics and as a Vulcan has enough resistance to radiation to last long enough. A good Captain would have ordered Scotty in with him - Troi made a similar mistake in her commander's test didn't she?

20. BillJ

Scotty was older and obviously in nowhere near the physical shape of the twenty-six year old Kirk.