The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Fantastic trailer. It really feels like the film versions are hitting their stride, finding their own identity. Can't wait for this one.

2. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I think you have it backwards. Yahoo probably sought after and paid Lionsgate for the exclusive rights. (They're kinda desperate to stay in existence.)

Either way, it's a dumb move for all the reasons you mentioned.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Trailer on the official Hunger Games youtube account. So unless Yahoo decides to hack it, this video should keep working... :p

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkvUNfySGQU[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkvUNfySGQU

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Looks good. Damn I love Jennifer Lawrence.

5. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Just rewatched the first film. Forgot how good it was. Emotional, too. Catching Fire was my favorite book of the series. I hope that its film at least matches the first one. Judging from the trailer (dubious, I admit), there's a pretty good chance of that happening.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The whole Yahoo exclusive thing with only them showing the trailer for 24 hours ended being a huge waste of time, not to mention a huge hassle for fans that wanted to see it quickly.

REALLY hoping no other studios do something like this with their trailers in the future! :p

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are they pulling after 24hrs? Because I just watched it again an hour or two ago.

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, there's no pulling now. They had a deal with Yahoo!Movies to show the trailer exclusively on their website for the first 24 hours, right after it was shown on the SDCC. Now it's posted on the Hunger Games official Youtube account and it's the regular deal, just like any other new trailer. They'll soon be showing it in theaters as well, I assume.

9. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

New Trailer!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoKj7TdJk98[/yt]

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Ah yes.. another teenager franchise with the exception that this main actress can act AND is a hottie too :p

Very much looking forward to it.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Great trailer. I'm looking forward to this movie as much as Thor 2!

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great trailer. Hopefully I'll finish the book before the movie comes out.

13. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I've seen of the trailers so far, the movie looks great. It seems to be really faithful to the book, and they've definitely used the bigger budget to have much better visual effects (something that was lacking in the first movie), costumes and production design - there's a lot of attention to detail, but the emotional moments seem to be all there.

This is all, however, from a POV of a fan who's read the books. I wonder how the marketing for the movie looks from the perspective of people who haven't read the books. If there are non-book fans here, which of the three trailers (and two TV spots, if you've seen them) did you like best? Do they make people want to watch it? Do they make people want to see the movie even if they hadn't seen the first one or didn't like it that much?

The only thing I dislike about the marketing are some of the articles published in magazines and media sites, because they spoil so much.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, even with the little bit I've read of CF, I'm already recognizing stuff in the trailers. That's a good sign if you ask me.

15. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Well, I haven't read the books and I enjoyed the first movie. Many of the people I know who have read them felt it was pretty faithful, and that some aspects that were changed for movie purposes (like the expanded role of the HG director and how he interacts with Snow and other characters) were generally good for narrative reasons. I hope that stays true of Catching Fire as well.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think it was the first trailer where this guard beats up the old man for daring to speak up and Katniss comes to his aid and gets threatened.

I have spoiled myself about the general story via Wikipedia so i have an understanding of the general progression of the story but i liked how they showed how she becomes the nucleus and public figure of the emerging rebellion (they already showed it in the first movie with the riot). This i definitely look forward to see.

17. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

Man, Katniss Everdeen just kills everyone!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3CuL7N82-k[/yt]

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I saw the first on DVD long after it was released. I had no real knowledge of it or the books. I had no expectations. I thought it was going to be aimed at teens and young adults only. I was completely wrong! I really loved. Not only is it entertaining but there are some real ideas here. I am seeing the sequel right away in a theatre.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Jennifer Lawrence comforts crying Hunger Games fan at Catching Fire premiere

JLaw is awesome. :techman: