What movies to buy on BluRay??

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mage, May 27, 2013.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I've finally bought myself a BluRay homecinemaset, since my old dvd hcs was having some issues.

Now, what SF/Fantasy movies are a must have on BluRay? I mean, in terms of better picture and sound quality?

2. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Get the Alien Anthology set. One of the most comprehensive sets out there and can be found for around $30 at this point.

I've had Bluray since last November. As far as Sci-fi goes, I've been impressed with

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Planet of the Apes

And don't forget TV. TOS is stunning in Blu-ray, as is The Prisoner if you are a fan of that series.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Avatar, The Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek 2009, Tron Legacy, Prometheus all look stunning on Blu-ray. There are many demo worthy discs you could pick up, just check reviews on reliable sites like High Def Digest for PQ.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Maybe LOTR: Trilogy.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I was most, most impressed with how good the Back to the Future trilogy looks on blu-ray

7. Mage

I have the Alien Quadrilogy on dvd, but would be awesome on BluRay. LOTR extended I have been considering but also have those on dvd. Then again, 50 euro for 15 BluRays is cheap.

How about the Star Wars box with all the movies on BluRay?

8. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sunshine - Yeah, the final act is a bit duff, but the PQ and AQ is superb.

Also, I must stress that this is purely only if you want a PQ showcase, Speed Racer.

Oh, and of course, Blade Runner.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Another vote for LOTR (extended). Great upgrade from the DVD's, and those were awesome.

The first Hobbit Movie too.

Not movies, but I upgraded nuBSG from DVD to blu-ray along with SGA.

They released some Roger Corman stuff on blu-ray that were never on DVD, including Galaxy Of Terror, which was a guilty pleasure of mine from the early 80's on Cinemax.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I didn't upgrade to blu-ray for BSG I went straight in at blu-ray though i watched it in SD when it was on TV. Looks great in HD though.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek (2009), Prometheus, Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean seem to be the sci-fi/fantasy movies of choice that show what kind of audio and video quality Blu-ray can achieve.

For animation, you can't go wrong with anything Pixar.

12. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Jurassic Park

13. Mage

Thanks for all the tips guys! Watching the DVD of Star Trek 2009 on my BRplayer right now, that's already a step up allright! Can't wait to get me some BluRay's.

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I disagree. If you are a fan of the original cartoon series from the 60s, there is much more to like about this film than just the eye candy (which is spectacular enough on its own right). If you are unfamiliar with the original series, beyond the fact that it existed, then I can see why it might have proven a disappointment.

15. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

Tron Legacy and The Life of Pi are probably the best looking blu-rays I've seen.

16. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

- the Indiana Jones movies
    - Stargate