Do you want to see the Enterprise in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by MST1987, Jan 15, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

We should definitely build ships capable of getting back and forth from planets in our solar system, but there's no reason to make them the shape of Enterprise just because.

I disagree that space exploration is a huge monetary drain with no practical return. You could apply the same argument to the moon landing, and it not only produced lots of modern technologies, it got us all curious about exploring space and expanding our horizons beyond our own planet. A ship that can go back and forth from Mars is just the next step in that continuum.

Now, if we want to go to other solar systems we have to deal with the small issue of time dilation first.

2. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I've seen lists like these before and I am very glad that NASA has made these advances. I'm not for one minute saying that NASA should close up shop. But that doesn't mean that we should committ ourselves to a massive, truly massive, never-ending financial boondoggle for them. I say again, we need somewhere to actually go first that is worth that kind of a committment.

Going to the moon was a much different deal. We went, but there was never the intent during the Apollo program of establishing any kind of permanent human presence on the moon. But establishing a permanent base on the Moon, or Mars? You have to not only figure in the construction costs of the "Enterprise" itself, but you have to factor in the construction costs of the base, keeping it supplied, keeping the population fed, maintenance, etc. etc. And you would have to figure that those huge costs would continue on year after year, indefinitely. We are never (barring terraforming) going to be able to get Mars or the Moon to be permanently inhabitable by a large group of humans without massive and ongoing logistical support. No amount of relatively minor technological advances is worth that cost.

I'm not saying it will never happen, in fact I believe we will someday come up with a realistic means of travel to other planets. But not like this. And again, if we were to find some kind of M-class planet orbiting, say, Alpha Centauri, then I would be 110% in favor of sending an expedition to it as soon as realistically possible.

3. JirinPanthosa

Here's the thing about traveling to other planets.

We can get to a planet that's 20 light years away, and have it so from the astronaut's perspective only a few months have passed. But from Earth's perspective, more than 20 years will have passed. So it is realistic to travel to other planets, but not in a manner where the astronaut can make the return trip in our lifetimes.

Unless there's some way to cheat relativity that hasn't been discovered yet. I suppose I can't prove it's impossible but I'm not holding my breath.

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Very true, something that Star Trek completely overlooks, because it's not expeditious for the stories. Anytime you travel such great distances, time moves much more slowly for you relative to people on Earth. When Picard made it back to Earth to visit his relatives after the Borg incident, his brother Robert would have been long dead! In truth, when Voyager returned home they would have been greeted by the great grand children of all the people they had known.

I think this was why Lost In Space had the premise of a whole family traveling together, because they'd never see each other again if separated. Candidate astronauts for real high speed space travel will either have very loose ties to family or travel with a loved one on board.

5. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

In Trek when warp drive is used the crew never encounters time dilation I guess because of how the fictional technology works, they never fly at relativistic speeds so time doesn't go slower for the crew compared to someone still on earth.

6. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    You are kidding about this petition, right?

Don't we have a bad enough reputation about being a bunch of crackpots already???

Yes, I do want to see an Enterprise in my lifetime...and I'm not talking about the physical ship.

I'm talking about a group of people who are intelligent enough to overcome their differences and solve them through compassionate and logical means.

7. JirinPanthosa

I think in Star Trek the idea behind warp drive is that the 'Subspace bubble' is a localized shortcut through space and the ship is actually traveling at low impulse. But, 'full impulse' is also supposed to be something close to light speed, and in that case, there should be time dilation.

I like the way Battlestar Galactica addressed it. A group of people from 4000 years ago got to the colonies by 'Traveling at sublight, relativistic speeds'.

8. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Disagreed. Mission Control fully expected that the next step would be a permanent moon base. See the two excellent documentaries based on flight control director Gene Krantz' book, "Failure is Not an Option."

9. Spearsab

Spearsab Ensign Newbie

USS Enterprise the real Deal!!

USS Enterprise the real Deal!!

Well, not yet. There is an effort to fund and pursue the building of the USS Enterprise.

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/

There was, until 1/21/2013, a petition on:
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition
    to
    "do a feasibility study and conceptual design of the Gen1 USS Enterprise interplanetary spaceship."

If you have already know about this. Great, Spreed the word. If you have not, Check out the petition and the Build-the-Enterprise website and see for your self.

Alone we can not achieve the dream of realizing a real USS Enterprise, however together through a collective effort we can create awareness, discussion and mission to build a REAL USS Enterprise.

Your thoughts? Is it viable, can it be done, is it worth it?

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: USS Enterprise the real Deal!!

Deja Vu.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd rather work towards feeding the hungry and fixing other issues on this planet before spending trillions on something useless.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Wow, you know, somebody mentioned this exact same thing exactly one week ago!

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200455

And it's on this exact same page! Too bad you didn't read it first, it would have saved you the trouble of typing it all over again.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Gravity wheel? Nuclear reactor?

Without artifical gravity plating and a matter/antimatter warp core, what's the point?

14. Spearsab

Spearsab Ensign Newbie

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  15. Spearsab

Spearsab Ensign Newbie

Garrovick
    I do not mean to offend however; I don’t think you even considered this long enough to check it out. Not only is it practical but It would employ 10s of thousands of people for at least 20 years, maybe more. The Mars missions could give us continued technological feedback on just about everything we use in space. With a stable and sound platform the USS Enterprise could become a home away from home. And space, nearby moons, and asteroids would inherently seem not so far way. So as far as practical, I guess you have to determine if space is or was ever practical.

I would love to see the USS Enterprise fully envisioned as it has been portrayed in all the series however, I do also understand that we need to start somewhere and, I am not rocket scientist but if you read the website it seems feasible. A multi-functional vehicle is just what NASA and Space needs. The Moon missions, Mars missions, and Asteroid mission, both mining and study, are just the start. I am not part of the effort just a REALY enthusiastic space lover, but I could see us establishing asteroid and moon bases out further away such as Jupiter or even further.

As far as the “possible benefits” I cannot begin to describe the “possible benefits” but, if you look just at what the mission to the moon got us, from Velcro to Food storage, Propulsion to water and air filtering, from firefighting gear to LEDs, I think the benefits are WELL worth the cost.

I do understand that once you build the facilities to build, store, and maintain the equipment for the vessel you still have to maintain it. But what does that mean? It means Thousands if not 10s of thousands of jobs created out of “You gotta Dream” idea that will further the human race for millennia to come.

Identifying planets is not the hard part, per say. Getting there is. The closest inhabitable planet is Alpha Centauri Bb, 4.4 Light Years away.
    Not exactly a stroll around the block.
    But do you know what a stroll around the block is? Mars, Earth’s Moon, the asteroid belt.

I’m just saying. It’s like our solar system has all these places to go and not one wants to. Come on Just get in the car.?!.

Balrog

We are still working on light speed travel and deflector shields. The proposed USS Enterprise design would use Ion thrust engines which would create little acceleration over a short distant but a lot over a large one. Right now it is not as important as getting us in space.

Silvercrest

Check out the website. He covers the gravity issue on the website.

This is all just my opinion though. I just encourage everyone, even if you don't think if possible, feasable, or practical, or if you are just a party pooper, to go and check out the website. I think if will convince you.

16. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It didn't.

17. magarity

magarity Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd be happy with a high speed probe sent out of the solar system with purpose built instruments to measure the solar boundary phenomena the Voyager probes are encountering. A solar sail craft could get up to 60K miles per second and get out there and beyond in just a few years.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Centrifugal force and gravity are not the same things.

19. Spearsab

Spearsab Ensign Newbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VMafReWFSfE

Simulated gravity is what we have for now. We can't create gravity because we don't how it is made, we just know how it effects things in space.

However if we generate a force that acts like gravity then I think it is mission accomplished.

So Centrifugal Force is not the same but equal to gravity.

20. Spearsab

Spearsab Ensign Newbie