Small 2010 update - covers and titles

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I wonder if Dennison and Perry are taking a story line each - one doing Spock's and the other Kirk's.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like they're writing together fairly regularly now, when I saw Inception on the S&S site it had non-Trek book with both of their names on it too.
    As for the SDS, she's writing Lust/Mirror Universe story.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What makes you say that? It's very recognizably the original, TOS-era Enterprise, though it might be a digital model thereof rather than a film clip from the show.

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Nice. I've enjoyed the Mirror Universe stuff I've read over the last couple of years. I wonder who specifically the story will follow? There are so many good examples of Lust in the MU. Should be interesting...

5. Paris

The fact that it really looked like a digital model, I guess. It kind of looks the way the Enterprise looked in TMP, not the way it looked in The Cage.

6. Christopher

It looks the way the Enterprise looked in the series, not TMP. Here's a shot of the digital Enterprise from the remastered "The Man Trap" that's pretty much the same angle:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01-2-hd/themantraphd873.jpg

In fact, now that I look more closely, I think it's the actual source image. I thought the one on the cover included part of the nacelle, but that's more just an impression created by the "light streak" effect.

7. Paris

The light streak effect is what made me think it was the TMP Enterprise. Thanks for finding the source image. Your google-fu is indeed strong :techman:

8. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, Christopher has been on a roll the last couple of days for finding images. :bolian:

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's probably not the final one, but the cover in the catalog and on MB showed Ben Sisko.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_Deadly_Sins

Lust. Mirror Universe.

11. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So why a title and cover change on Stern's book? Does title change come from writer or editor?

12. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ Could be either/both. Changing the title of a book is a pretty common practice, and can happen for any of a number of reasons, with a likely reason being that another title was found to be more suitable for the final version of the story, as opposed to the title conjured when it was still in the outline/writing stage. You'd be surprised how often writers go back and forth, agonizing over "the perfect title" :)

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It depends. I have no idea what the story is in this case, but all sorts of people get involved in the title process, and there are a million possibilities.

Maybe his agent suggested the new title. Maybe some guy in the marketing department. Or the publisher's cousin. Maybe somebody thought the title was too similar to another book on the list. Or maybe the author just changed his mind.

There's no hard and fast rules here. Just people making stuff up as they go along, and having lots of meetings.

And, a lot of the time, the early titles are just "placeholders" for the real title which nobody has come up with yet.

"Let's just call it DARK VENGEANCE for now. We'll think of something better when the time comes . . . ."

14. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there really ever a perfect title?

15. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Nope. Just one that doesn't suck as bad as the one you had before it.

16. Greg Cox

Typical examples:

THE BLACK SHORE was originally titled PARADISE, but somebody thought that was too close to Melissa Scott's THE GARDEN.

THE EUGENICS WARS came dangerously close to just being titled KHAN: THE RISE AND FALL. (I actually have a mock-up of a cover with that title on my office wall.)

My TERMINATOR novel went from DARK SKY to COLD STEEL to COLD WAR before it finally saw print.

And TOMORROW SUCKS (my scifi vampire book) started out as a joke title before somebody finally suggested, "Hey, why don't we REALLY call it that?"

These things happen. Titles are just something that get tossed around until one stands out.

17. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's great, just when I'm working on a title for my novel (which is a little over a quarter written). I think my title is a little too descriptive of what is in the book, though it does tell you what the main event is.

18. Christopher

Orion's Hounds was originally Spirit of the Hunt, but Marco didn't like that. Of the suggestions I made, we both liked Orion's Hounds the best, but at first Marco didn't want to use it because he feared people would be confused when it didn't involve the Orions. So we were going to call it Heaven's Prey, but then Marco decided, "What the hell, let's just use OH and live with any initial confusion." And there was no confusion over the title as far as I'm aware.

19. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought this was something new so I looked it up. You had a vampire book out in 1994? Man, you were way ahead of the curve... :)

20. Greg Cox

Actually, my first vampire book, THE TRANSYLVANIAN LIBRARY, came out in 1993 . . . .

Vampires are always a hot property.