If not for Caretaker, would DS9 have been Voyager's home base?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just think about it, if it hadn't been for that cantankerous xenorapist, we would have had another seven years of DS9.

I mean for sure Enterprise wandered around, since it was the flagship and so bloody big that it didn't need a home base, but even if Voyager was a "Long-range tactical" class starship, the word Tactical" implies that the ship/crew gets a mission with a cohesive target and win/failure qualifications, and then obviously they get another and another and another... And if the ship and crew did do get Chuckles outright within their two week timeframe without any cockups as planned, they would have been declared maquis/badland experts and receive first dibs, if not outright not-itted for missions inside that wheel house.

Hung out at Quarks.
    Played dabo.
    Got into debt in the brothel.
    Played Hologames with Julian.
    Kira laying down the law about how Janeway has to do what she says no matter what uniform she's wearing if she wants Voyager fueled up and ready for it's next mission.
    Morn and Stadi up a tree K-i-s-s-i-n-g.

Stuff.

I hate Caretaker more today than ever before.

What a dick.

2. timothy1701

timothy1701 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I bet DS9 would have been their base. We would have seen Voyager in all of he external shots, flying around or docked.

3. AthanisTree

AthanisTree Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's an interesting idea: Harry Kim might actually get promoted.

However, they'd definitely have to get rid of Janeways original (and rather lacking in hardiness) first officer, hot mature cheddar as he was...

4. Lucky Charms

Lucky Charms Lieutenant Red Shirt

Its been many years since I saw Caretaker, but I thought Voyager was only in the area to capture Chakotay? I don't recall their missing being hang out by Bajor?

I do agree it would have been awesome to have Voyager's home base be DS9. I would love to see a TV/DVD movie combining characters from those 2 shows.

5. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Voyager were to have a home base, I'd have thought it would have been in Federation space, which Deep Space 9 was not.

6. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Voyagers mission should have been to explore the Gamma Quadrant beyond Dominion Territory falling back to DS9 now and again. When DS9 mined the wormhole Voyager could have been trapped in the Gamma Quadrant continuing to explore and also trying to avoid the Dominion until the wormhole could be reopened OR with the Wormhole possibly blocked forever they'd have to head back to Earth through the Gamma Quadrant and the unexplored sections of the Alpha Quadrant.

7. Guy Gardener

Chakotay was smallfish. Hardly worth the expense of the utilities of the tactical officer of a Starship, goodness forbid the entire starship? Tuvok's original mission is reminiscent to me of how female cops dress up as prostitutes to nick Johns on the street. Janeway had a two week mission to get Chuckles and I assume bring him back to earth for trial. There's no more information about what was next in store for Voyagers to do list, and although the dominion War had not yet begun, the colony of new Bajor had been eradicated and the Star Ship Odyssey had been eliminated by the Jem'ha'dar, which is why Sisko went to Mars to get himself the Defiant... But he Maquis continued to be an onging problem which was not phased or stumbled in the slighted by the removal of Chakotay's cell. Surely Janeway could have been slated with dozens of two week missions to target and sanction cell after cell until there was no cohesive Maquis resistance in operation at all?

Hmmm.

The actual big fish prime kahuna leader of the Maquis, Michael Eddington was almost in play as the head of Starfleet Security on Deep Space Nine, well he was on the defiant with Sisko en route to his new home(s) and certainly had the security clearance to be aware of Tuvok's original mission and Janeway's search and rescue mission well before he began duty as a double agent.

Did Eddington sacrifice Chakotay? He had the clearance to know about Tuvok and considering that Seska was also slipped into that group too, it's possible that Chakotay's cell was war marked for capture to take the heat off the rest of the Maquis who were actually good at killing Cardies and hated the Federation without reservation for getting in the way of their killing Cardies... And how did Eddington set up Janeway to fall foul of the Caretaker?

If Janeway had not been flung to the other side of the galaxy, I think a good romantic pairing would have been Eddington and Janeway, even though he would have been faking it since he's married you must remember, which makes the betrayal even deeper and bloodier.

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if DS9 would have become Voyager's home base for future missions. Maybe as long as the Maquis-Cardassian conflict was on but maybe not longer than that.

I get the impression that they were there just for this mission, to capture Cahkotay's crew and bring back Tuvok too.

9. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't Caretaker air around the same time as Past Tense? If Star Trek chronology works like I assume it does then Eddington would already have been on DS9 by the time Voyager went on its mission. However, although Eddington may have been a Maquis by that point, I don't think the writers knew that yet.

10. Guy Gardener

As if anyone knows what truly is going on when they sit down in front of a word processor because inspiration is frighteningly humbling if one half of your brain is keeping secrets from the other half.

11. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

If Voyager was to operate in the area of DS9, Janeway's CO probably would have been Admiral Ross and the ship would have been based at Starbase 375. I can't see attaching a starship to DS9 unless it is specifically dedicated in service to it like the Defiant.

12. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

But whotta helluva show that would've been, huh?

13. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

They still could have had Voyager visiting DS9 often but to what end? I think the fling to the Delta Quadrant was a good idea. I have major issues with the writing they did there but I think the setting was the correct one.

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if Eddington or some other Maquis big boss sacrificed Chakotay. I'm not even convinced the Maquis had big bosses back then, let alone that Eddington was one. He just did enough heroics to get a rep, later on.

However, if Starfleet went hunting for Chakotay's cell, it sounds perfectly possible that the Obsidian Order also knew of this, through its usual moles, and this is why they got there first.

No, I don't see Voyager hanging around DS9 for long. She was destined for lesser things, probably. After all, she was built to travel, and travel fast. Not much chance of that anywhere near Bajor. The Gamma adventure sounds pretty good, actually...

Timo Saloniemi

15. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

16. Mansa40

Mansa40 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I could see it patrolling that area.

Paris: He would hook up with Kira, Dax and all the Dabo girls, odo would arrest him for sme scheme with Quark.

Tuvok: Would find a fast friend in the equally anhidonic Odo. He would not like Quark and would have run ins with Garek. He would be a compitant first Officer

Kim: Would learn a lot from Obrian and get into trouble with Quark. He would have wierd experiances with Bajoran Orbs and Kira would become fond of him.

Janeway: Would become obsessed with stopping the Maquis. She would have lunch with sisko and talk about captain stuff. She would marry mark and he would live on DS9 too.

The Doctor: Would remain just an EMH

Mr. Kerry: He would get killed by some alien really quickly.

Torres: Fight the Cardassians then get killed by the Dominion :(. Her an Chuckles would have a fling though.

Chuckles: As above fight the Cards. When his base was nuked by the Dominion Seska would beam him to saftey at the last second. He would then live out the D-War as her kept man, eventually the DS9 crew would rescue him and he would be helpful it fighting the Cards.

Neelik: Would float in space in between the Caretaker and the Ocompa for some time. He would try to rescue Kes but would die in the attempt. Elsewhere Wix would get killed attempting to sell drugs.

Kes: Probably survive as a Kazon slave till she was about 6.

7 of 9: Stay a Borg and become the new Quenn. :lol:

17. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very doubtful, since Tom's actual successes as a ladies man (before hooking up B'Elanna) seemed to be on par with, or barely any better than Bashir's. :)

18. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

thanks, but no thanks. i started to suffer from worf fatique. grateful he never visited voy. what can't be said about troi, though. justed watched life line. well, with the doc in a double pack, even troi couldn't cheapen this episode.

19. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

That would have made for an AMAZING show! I liked Janeway as a character, but there were plenty of times when she could have benefited from being taken down a notch by somebody.

I think this concept could have worked. Voyager's main mission could have been to explore the Gamma Quadrant that wasn't known to be under Dominion control. They could have returned to DS9 for regular check-ins, re-feulings, and upgrades. Then, occasionally, they could have been assigned to tactical missions near Bajor.

It would have been great because we could have seen another front in the Dominion War and DS9 could have remained at least somewhat in the limelight for two more years after the war. Also, in my opinion, with good writing they could have kept the Maquis characters and The Doctor as part of the main cast. But we wouldn't have had Seven of Nine, Kes, or Neelix (well, it would have no loss about Neelix).

20. Guy Gardener

Jennifer, Jeri and Ethan could have simply been refitted to play out the lives of different characters.

They could have been anyone.