Why was The captain of the ENT-B such a noob?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Infern0, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

seriously, he was the captain of the flagship! and he was like Save me mr kirk!

I hated this

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Was the B the "flagship"?

3. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

The guy was a noob, but he had all of a few moments to make a judgement call in the face of a massive temporal energy disruption & a bridge full of Starfleet legends. The Temporal Prime Directive & the proteges of Starfleet Command to protect....how long would it have taken YOU to slam it in reverse? And would it have made a difference? Would it have followed the Enterprise-B to fulfill a celestial-scale destiny? We don't know. It was a MOVIE, Dude. To a point, you're supposed to suspend disbelief.

4. Infern0

Must have been surely, it was "the enterprise"

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't think the original or the A was.

6. Infern0

Ok, do you know what was though?

7. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure that all of the 'Enterprise' Starfleet vessels were flagships in their particular era.

8. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    You'd be pretty wrong. This "flagship" rubbish only began with ST:TNG and the NCC-1701-D.

TGT

9. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Well, they cast Alan Ruck for a reason -- they wanted someone with an aura of vulnerability and goofiness to play a newbie captain as a straw man to make Kirk look even better than if he had to deal with an experienced captain. The role in many ways is similar to the roles Ruck played on Ferris Buehler's Day Off and Spin City. Kind of silly, but hey, it was GEN!

As for whether Enterprise-B was the flagship, probably not. I actually like the idea of a Starfleet flagship, started in TNG. But I think that was still a mostly ceremonial title. To digress, the only time we see that Enterprise-D has some kind of official "flagship" role was in Chain of Command, where it's revealed the D would be the command ship for that sector if Minos Korva was attacked by the Cardassians.

Red Ranger

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Umm, or then they cast Ruck because he looked even more handsome and heroic and confidence-inspiring than Shatner in his prime, so that the contrast would be all the greater when the man was emasculated by his shortchanged starship and the overwhelming presence of the mighty Kirk...

Surely Ruck is the sort of material you put in the posters on Starfleet drafting office walls, if you don't want to go through the trouble of photoshopping.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

They had refered to it as the flagship well before Chain of Command. In Sarek for example, I believe (I just saw it during that Christmas marathon).

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New captains? They are all noobs that got pwned.

13. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

As far as I can tell and prefer to believe until something onscreen actually
    contradicts it, the Enterprise has always been the flagship of the fleet.

Anyways, I don't think he was a n00b. I'm sure he had command experience
    before this incident. But with an undermanned, unequiped Starship only meant
    to be going on a media excursion essentialy... it probably made things tough.

I wish we would have seen more of the ENT-B and Harriman. The roles of
    both in the New Era novel they were featured in were awesome.

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why choose this starting point? Why not "until something onscreen actually contradicts it, the Enterprise has always been a run-of-the-mill ship"?

Nothing in TOS ever indicated that Kirk's ship would have been "special". ST:TMP gave the ship some special status as a spearhead in a refit project, but ST2 brought her down to earth figuratively by showing a "has-been" training career without a hint of any sort of glorious past status - and ST3 did that a bit more literally.

We saw too little of the A, the B or the C to learn anything about their status. Certainly nothing directly indicated that they would have been the most famous ships of their time, or anything; indeed, the E-B was never heard of again after her maiden voyage.

Timo Saloniemi

15. votd

votd Commander Red Shirt

I doubt the A would have been a flagship - it's model had been superseded by the Excelsior class

16. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that the title of "Flagship of the Federation" that was discussed for the Ent-D must be some sort of honorific, and not something to take literal. An actual flagship has a flag deck - a place where someone in senior command of the whole fleet can make fleet decisions, while the captain of that ship gets on with the business of running that ship. Admittedly, that could probably be done from a few consoles (admirals have advisors and such) on any given bridge above a particular size, but it'd be a little odd to have an admiral standing over at a console like any other crewperson while the command crew of the ship runs her.

Also, a flagship has other ships assigned to her fleet.

When I designed my fanfic Enterprise NCC-170100, she was meant to be a literal flagship, so I layed out my bridge as a two story affair - a lower bridge with a vaulted ceiling that serves as the ship's own bridge, and an upper flag bridge offset aftward with railings and stairs and a turbolift down to the regular bridge. The upper flag bridge contains displays, communications, and other things necessary to run a fleet. The admiral or commodore (which I'm bringin' back, dammit! ;)) could potentially call out something to the captain from over the railing, but generally would communicate through the fleetwide communications, even then.

17. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Because the Enterprise has never been shown as a run-of-the-mill
    ship and I like it as the flagship.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Moving to Trek Movies

19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

John Harriman suffered from what most of the movie-ers captains suffered from and that was being a character made stupid to make Kirk look better. He is cut from the same cloth as Styles and Esteban.

It would have been more interesting had Moore and Braga written him to be a highly-competent captain to highlight the fact that perhaps Kirk's time was at an end. Instead they went for the easy punch with the character.

However, I suggest reading The Captain's Daughter and Serpants Among The Ruins to see Captain Harriman at his best. The former nicely explains why he was the way he was in GEN. In fact, after reading those two TrekLit books, I became fond of Harriman as a captain.

20. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to think that, the instant Kirk told Harriman to sit in the captain's chair while Kirk went to go save the ship, that was when we see pre-Generations Harriman back to form. There really is nothing more personally inspiring than your hero cheering you on.