STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Cute. And how pertinent! Especially considering I'm using words to illustrate my views, and you, well, don't.

I really couldn't care less about casting, as long as whoever is hired does a good job in a fine story. Imagine the party they'd have over at the IMDB message boards (where tourette-like exclamations like "retard" or "moron" constitute valid posts) if they had put Cumberbatch in brownface.

2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Therin, I can second you on most of these. I've watched these changes along with you. But you left out DS9 ;)

Yeah, die-hard Trekkies always find the last "unpalatable" Trek quite palatable once the next one is released. Then, it's on to fresh meat. :lol:

3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Apart from the quality of the movie itself, JJTrek has been very good for the franchise. No argument here. It renewed interest and made projects like the TNG HD remaster viable. (Those Blu-rays sell really well, I'm told.)

The film has reeled in many new fans, and if they were to come out with a new series now, the viewing figures might be a vast improvement over the dismal performance of ENT.

So why is Mr. Abrams nipping all potential series in the bud? He's going around saying, "As long as I'm doing Trek, nobody else is."

This is a franchise that isn't movie only, and soon the time will be right for it to play on multiple channels again. If only Abrams weren't so incredibly stubborn.

For example: Imagine a series about an ageless, deep-cover Aegis agent (you know, a colleague of Gary Seven), living through Trek's fictional history all the way from First Contact to the 24th century, desperately struggling behind the scenes to make sure things happen the way they are supposed to. Lone-wolf scenario, maybe a sidekick, throw in regular baddie who's actively working against the protagonist, then kill the sidekick in season 3 to really shake things up, season-long arcs etc.

That's new, possibly with some potential. And that's just off the top of my head, me being no writer at all. I dare the powers that be to come up with something better.

4. indranee

so, it's a cop out. In real life a "DasGupta" can be from anywhere but in fiction, there is usually a reason I am a DasGupta and not a "Bailey".

It's a cop out and you know it, Dennis. Quit trying to excuse the heck out of this. Let's face it, Cumberbatch is the face of many new and good things to come and JJ and Co wanted to get in the front of the queue.

Like I said, I'm happy and I'll leave it at that. But you can't expect everyone to be happy with it.

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Where has JJ said that as long as he's doing Trek, no one else will?

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That could also mean, "As long as I'm doing Trek, I'm doing it my way."

At least I haven't seen a lot of "AAAAUUUUUUUGH! THEY'RE MURDERING MY CHILDHOOD!" this time. :lol:

7. indranee

I don't understand. You have five series, ten movies and a ton of other stuff to play with. Why do you miss it? It's all right there, waiting for you to watch.

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nowhere, as far as I remember.
    Unless one counts LeVar Burton, who allegedly has been hearing such things from Abrams' camp.

9. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

This seems bizzare coz it sound like I'm reviewing a movie Ive not seen yet but:

It doesn't sound very original more like a remake/tribute to The Wrath of Khan.

Pike = Turrell; Carol Marcus; Vengeance = Reliant. All that seems to be added is the terrorism plot. They even nicked the twist but switched the characters! I mean come on...

I love that Nimoy HAS returned once more - Star Trek; longest serving actor going right back to The Cage and now with his 8th has appeared in more Trek movies than anyone bar Majel as the Computer Voice/Chapel.I do have a penchant for familiar actors reprising favourite roles!

I will definitely see it with an open mind and enjoy it for what it is but I morn the lack of originality where they could have boldly gone...

10. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I think it's the sad fact that Star Trek is now essentially a movie only franchise rather than a continuous series. Four years just for a two hour long adventure doesn't really offer much variety that gives Star Trek it's heart and soul. Not saying you can't have some of that in the movies, but with a series you can take more chances in doing something different.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You use lots of words without making a real point other than bemoaning change and claiming things for which there's no evidence. One silly unprovable assertion is worth another.

12. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Nope. (Unless you ask the people working on it) But I'm hoping season 3 will change that. I want DS9.

13. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

That argument would be a lot more convincing if the filmmakers were also casting Asian actors as guys named Terrence McLaglan and Latinos as Greta Hoff. But when they only do the race-bending to cast actors of European descent in non-European roles it's called "whitewashing" and it has a long, shameful history in Hollywood.

There aren't a lot of starring roles for Indian actors in Hollywood. This was one of them. Abrams instead gave the part to a white guy who has no trouble finding parts. That's just plain wrong.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

The part's never been played by an Indian actor or by an actor who resembled an Indian.:shrug:

For that matter Uhura's never been played by an actor who really looks African*, but white Americans tend to have rather generalized and inattentive notions about race and ethnicity to the extent they exist.

*I can't recall whether Uhura is canonically - that is, onscreen - African or whether that's just what's been said in supporting biographical material for the character. Sulu was eventually established to have been born in the United States (ST 4)

15. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

As sttngfan1701d said though, there's a difference between the olive color and pasty white. And he also aptly pointed out that at least in TOS they went so far as to apply bronze makeup to Montalban. Why did they go to that effort? It's because they were going for the traditional Sikh ruler look, which is typically a darker skin tone, definitely not pasty, not white, perhaps not olive, but at least bronze.

I'm afraid you don't at all know what racism is. You should perhaps try and look it up. While you're educating yourself, maybe take a look at prominent political positions of India and those of Sikhs, and then come back to me and laughingly assert that such a person should be pasty white.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Perhaps by 1982 that was perceived as a little too much like doing blackface? Or maybe not; it was a year or two later that Cameron was painting Jenette Goldstein into "Vasquez."

17. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I don't know, it didn't really look good in the 60s at least. Is there a story for why they didn't do it for TWOK?

I thought Goldstein's was done very well and that she played the part very well. Was there a hubbub over that?

18. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

NOMAD.

This reminds me of my reaction to the premier of TNG. We had the android, the empath, the über genius and the guy with amazing visual abilities. I thought, "That's not Star Trek, that's the X-Men." I had no idea that the captain was Professor X himself!

It sounds like somebody's polite excuse for rejecting a lousy pitch.

19. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't have to look it up because I already know what it means. I also know that it's thrown around way too often, even here on the BBS. Illustrating absurdity by being absurd is a time honored tradition where I come from.

I also said in another post that I'm amused by the supposedly enlightened Trek fans who get all twisted out of shape when things aren't exactly 'the way they're supposed to be'.

But hey, it's always fun being talked down to. Thanks for playing, and here's your lovely parting gift.
    [​IMG]

20. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

More like a farting gift.