Who were the breakout characters on DS9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Dream, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Who were the DS9 characters that started out just part of the cast and become fan favorites due to the acting or writing for the characters?

TOS had Spock
    TNG had Data and Worf
    VOY had the Doctor and Seven of Nine

2. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Garak, Damar, Dukat...heck most if not all the reoccurring Cardassians (and even the ones that appeared in only one episode)

Quark of course.

And that loveable drunk...

Odo.:p

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 had many great characters, but in terms of Break out, I've got to say Odo. Rene (I'm not even going to try the last name) played him so well and he probably got the most development out of the cast it was just fun watching him grow into what he became in the later seasons. Heck, I remember when I was watching Boston Legal, everytime I saw Rene on the screen I was thinking this character is kind of like Odo.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel like there was another thread like this.. doesn't "break out" mean not from the main cast?

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.babylon.com/definition/Breakout character/

"A breakout character is a character in serial fiction who becomes the most prominent, popular, discussed, and/or imitated. The series may be in any medium (novels, magazines, television series, comic strips, games)."

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh. Well I'm still going Garak.

eek, Dorothy has been assimilated!

The Pez, the Pez has swayed you.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Hard to say, I don't think DSN had any breakout characters, as they did a good job in fleshing out most of the characters. If any I think perhpas Garak.

8. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Dukat and Damar. They were so much more than just evil characters for the pure sake of evilness. They were much more complex and especially Damar grew from background "yes, sir/no, sir" to such an important character.

9. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I think it's a testament to strength of ensemble cast that I can't think of breakout character along the lines you mention (Spock, Data etc). Garak or Weyoun would
    probably come closest.

10. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Not sure if there was any breakout characters, as there were so many great characters on the show. But if I had to choose one from the main cast it would be Odo.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I am not convinced there were really any 'break-out' characters. DS9 had by far the best character development of any of the seasons. If I had to pick one, though, I would have to choose Garek. Would loved to have seen much more of him.

12. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nog, Rom and Garak are probably the closest, the rest got interesting during specific story arcs like Damar, not that they became an interesting character.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I would go with Nog. He ended up being so much more interesting than main cast member Jake Sisko!:D

14. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm torn between Dukat and Damar... Both great characters.

15. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I've never considered Data to be a breakout character. If I had to chose a DS9 character, I would pick Quark, due to his crossover appearances on TNG, Voyager and the deleted scene from Insurrection.

16. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hard to pick actually.

Odo for his development, and for us to watch him learn more about himself and then his people.

Garak - who didnt love the guy? Dodgy past, always that air of mystery, yet someone you would love to sit and have lunch with.

Nog - first Ferengi in Star Fleet, did well to break the trend of his kind just going into business. Great to watch with Jake.

Damar comes to mind too to a lesser extent, grew really well near the end and was someone I always sort of liked.

Dukat...Loved the guy the whole way through, always entertaining on screen and thought he was played brilliantly.

As you can see...Im completely on the fence...

17. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I never did :lol: While I can appreciate that he was a well written and well played character and truly interesting, he always annoyed me more than anything.

18. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

There was some characters in the series that when they started off I never liked them on screen, but the more you found out about them and the more they featured, the more I began to like them. Kira was actually one when it first started I never liked, but grew on me very quickly.

19. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Seconded, especially Damar. He went from being a lowly mook to key figure in ending the Dominion War. He has given mooks and evil minions everywhere what they never dared think about: hope, and the power to dream of a better, evil-overlord-free future.

It's enough to make grown men cry. :p

20. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 was the antithesis of the "breakout character" concept and, as such, didn't have any, IMHO.

DS9 was the only Trek show that was a true ensemble show to the core. Each member of the main cast, as well as a whole host of recurring characters, were well developed, well-rounded characters who played major roles in the stories. There was not a single member of the main cast who didn't regularly have episodes focused on them, and there were even quite a few episodes in which the main cast took a back seat so that we could focus on a story featuring a recurring guest star. (The lone exception to all this I can think of is Jake, who was not nearly as well developed as some of the others, but still got his fair share of attention.)

I don't think there's one or two characters that people think of when they think DS9, the way you think of Kirk and Spock, or Picard and Data, or Seven and the Doctor. I think DS9 was a true ensemble in every sense of the word, and was better for it.