Did Spock ever kill anything?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Vandervecken, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't remember Spock ever killing anything (which includes anyone) in TOS. Or in the movies. Or period.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The mood.

3. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He killed that bowl of Plomeek Soup. :devil:

4. alpha_leonis

alpha_leonis Captain Captain

He thought that he'd killed Kirk in "Amok Time". That was his intention, anyway -- he didn't know about McCoy's secret intervention.

5. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Balance of Terror." Spoiler Alert: Spock kills crewmen on the Romulan ship before Mark Lenard blows it up.

In "Dagger of the Mind" he accidentally kills Dr. Adams.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

He always seemed to go for non-lethal hits with the phaser. Nimoy was always concerned with keeping the character consistent, so even if something had been scripted, he likely would have protested until it was changed.

I've wondered about the Famous Spock Nerve Pinch though. We don't always see the victims of that regain consciousness on screen, so maybe he wasn't above applying a little extra pressure now and then in certain circumstances.

7. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

He may have killed a fashion trend or two.

8. Vandervecken

Oh! Just thought of something. I'd made a "death" list for Kirk (surprisingly short), and there's one "maybe" on Kirk's list can count for Spock as well I think:

The Capellans nailed in that rock slide caused by that sonic doohickey he and Kirk rigged up. Those were boulders. We're never shown any of them dead, but it sure looked like some of them had to be killed.

9. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

He disintegrated Flint's robot in Requiem For Methuselah. And he would have killed the Salt Vampire if he'd had a phaser.

10. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps the Klingon he knocked on Genesis. (Of course, in TNG this moment would have been interracial homoerotism.)

11. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    He killed that flying latke of doom on his back. Oh, and himself.

12. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He would have killed Gary Mitchell, if given the chance.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And later in the episode, Spock does clearly shoot one Capellan with a bow and arrow.

Spock assists Kirk in rigging the grenade launcher in "Arena," though we don't know how much damage it did.

In "Wolf in the Fold," Spock beams the Redjac-possessed Hengist into space on wide dispersal. Hengist was already technically dead at that point, only animated by Redjac, but it was assumed that dispersing Redjac would eventually kill it (although a couple of different comics sequels have argued otherwise).

In "Return to Tomorrow," Spock was sharing consciousness with Chapel when she injected Spock-Henoch with what Henoch believed was poison, resulting in Henoch's flight from Spock's body and thus his death. It's unclear whether Spock was fully in control of her actions at the time, though, and one can split hairs about whether tricking someone into killing himself is equivalent to killing them oneself (although I'd say it is, from an ethical standpoint).

Similarly, Spock is the one whose actions drive the Zetarians from Mira Romaine's body and kill them in "The Lights of Zetar."

And of course it was Spock who rigged the torpedo that destroyed the Klingon ship in TUC. (Infuriatingly, he did so with McCoy's help, despite McCoy's insistence in "The Empath" that he would not take life under any circumstances, and despite the fact that it made no damn sense for a medical doctor to modify a weapon.)

There were times when Spock advised others to use deadly force -- suggesting it as a way to deal with Mitchell in the second pilot, telling Yeoman Tamura to use lethal force if necessary in "A Taste of Armageddon," urging Kirk to kill the Horta when it threatened him in "The Devil in the Dark."

(Although I've never believed that Spock was actually trying to convince Kirk to Gary Mitchell. Rather, he was trying to convince Kirk to strand Mitchell by pointing out that killing him was the only other option.)

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

In "Metamorphosis", Spock built the machine that scrambled the electrical impulses of the Companion, and threw the switch at Kirk's order. Spock admitted that it could have easily killed her.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone on Romulus. Slow old goat.:p

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock argued that Edith Keeler must die, and he called out to Kirk, in order to prevent Kirk from saving her.

17. Vandervecken

That's a great list, thanks--I rejected Redjack myself, though, because I wasn't counting assists to Kirk, who gave the order. I gave that one to Kirk (the Capellans are more like a joint effort). Also wasn't counting advice and indirect results, just deaths for which Spock was the immediate cause. Also I felt that we needed some idea of results, so didn't count Arena when I was trying to put things together myself. But that leaves TUC and the bow and arrow shot, big misses for me, thanks, and also Henoch, and I agree about Henoch; Spock killed him.

18. Vandervecken

That was the second-deadest soup I've ever seen.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, that's no different from any soldier in combat, though, is it? Killing under a commanding officer's orders is still killing. And it's clear enough that Spock accepted the necessity of occasionally using deadly force as a consequence of serving in Starfleet, although he did see it as a last resort.

20. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And then he went and got a phaser rifle from the armory. A PHASER RIFLE. That's a bit more than just pointing out that killing him was the only other option.