Star Trek season 1 on blu-ray: April 28

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Hober Mallow, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ain't out yet. (And I SO wnt to see the remasted The Doomsday Machine in 1080P) ;)

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

3. jefferiestubes8

4. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Woah, woah, woah, woah. Woah. Back it up. No freaking way. You mean Gary Lockwood didn't make that cup move telekenetically?

Last time I believe Lockwood....

At least they're not as obvious as the string yanking the phaser rifle away from Kirk. I wish they had erased those...

You know what's funny? I have a great 7.1 surround sound set up. Really lovely for movies and whatnot. Even great for playing CDs, man what a great experience. Yet when I watch the Trek BD set, I always choose the original mono track. Even when watching the enhanced versions. I like the original mix and how the the dialog, music and sound effects are nice and level. It also helps to have the accurate music in certain episodes. And I never really liked the newly recorded opening theme, but I give them a ton of credit for getting the tempo exactly right. The original music fits the images perfectly. In the new version, Shatner's intro is buried in sound mix also.

Otherwise, I am 100% over the moon with this set. I love having the choice to switch between versions, because my mood changes without reason and sometimes I prefer to watch the old effects, particularly when the CGI version is no better or actually more clumsy than the original: the new version of the opening battle in Errand of Mercy is awful and in the third season, the cat and mouse dogfight in Elaan of Troyius is completely lacking in energy.

Other times, I'd rather not notice the bleeding mattes, the 2-D look of the pasted on model against the starfield and the same planet colored differently each week. It all depends on the mood, but I'll always love and prefer the original.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  5. jefferiestubes8

mono soundtrack

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=16123

Hmm. That reviewer felt the reason to listen to the new remix was the additional 2 speakers that you have.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/675/startrektos_s1.html

Hey the show is over 40 years old and some people feel it should sound like it is. Purists.
    You could have full-range speakers that still would make the show sound much better than a 2" speaker on a color television in 1966 due to the broadcast stations' processing of the audio due to standard wideband frequency modulation used for the standard monaural audio on the NTSC television system in USA as well as the small speaker not being a full-bandwidth speaker.

6. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well i have completed the first season of TOS on BR.......It was brilliant, the quality in sound and visuals was breath taking....TOS looked amazing in HD , it was so sharp and vibrant.

Now i have to resist the urge to watch season two on normal DVD until its released on BR.

That is going to be very very hard to do.

7. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I have this and it is great. Some of the visuals actually ENHANCE the story - specifically the ending of The Gallileo Seven for one.

Though I do find spock's pink lipstick distracting, and it's especially pink in, I think, Arena.

8. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

So, is it indeed true that the original effects shots are on there, and you can choose to watch those with a switch in video feeds "seamlessly"?

9. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

All true.

10. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's hard to believe that CBmount honestly gave us a box-set that casual and fanboy alike can love, isn't it? And yet, there it is.

11. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

And when I can afford an HD TV and a blu-ray player I will be first in line to buy that shizzle!!

12. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have the TV, lack the BD player and funding here.

13. jefferiestubes8

New BD Live Video Content Coming For Star Trek Season One Blu-Ray Set

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-BD-Live-Update/12226

http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/01/new...-coming-for-star-trek-season-one-blu-ray-set/

14. jefferiestubes8

Paramount Covers Comic-Con via BD-Live

29 Jul 2009
    http://www.homemediamagazine.com/bd-live/paramount-covers-comic-con-through-star-trek-blu-ray-16561

The feature that keeps on giving.
    Can anyone confirm these Comic-Con videos were shot and presented in HD 1080p?

15. man named Gorn

man named Gorn Lieutenant Red Shirt

I picked this set up when it hit and I am loving it..other than the confusing Bd Live features...I have to hightlight 'yes' with the color black to download them, for example.....(what the...?), but all-in-all, classic Trek has never looked nor sounded this good!

16. jefferiestubes8

blu-ray review from dvdauthority

http://www.dvdauthority.com/reviews.asp?reviewid=6092

Another mention of the dialnorm audio issues.