Logos, logos and some more logos...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Reverend, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Done a few more this week, mainly focusing on the ship logos: -
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I've also been making an attempt to figure out a map of exactly where the sectors (Blue, Red, Green etc.) begin and end. So far I've found two different maps that appeared onscreen as well as the one on the Security Manual. If anyone knows of any other variations, I'd be very appreciative!
    [​IMG]
    Oh and I've also been continuing to dabble with the rank insignias.
    [​IMG]

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Said this over at Flare, just repeating for the audience here....

You've been busy! I'm not sure what all those insignias mean, but they look good. Odd looking star they used on them, though.

As for the map, I can't say any of them look quite right to me, but I assume you're just cataloging the variations for the wiki? I found one here that looks similar to the "Signs & Portents" one, but not quite. Not sure where that one came from. There's another here (scroll down), but it looks fan-made, and honestly looks even more wrong to me. Since you're familiar with the wiki, I assume you've seen this screencap too? One last map I found looks to be made for an RPG, but actually makes the most sense out of all of them to me. It's on this page, just scroll to the bottom and download the zipped PDF.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I should probably say that the insignia inside the grey boxes are my own conjecture, just to fill in the gaps.

For now I'm cataloguing the "official" versions; I do have my own particular version of what I think it should really be, but I'd rather not release that until I'm done collating data and have a complete idea.

There are a few complications, mainly to do with the grey, brown and yellow sectors.
    With Grey sector, on the graphics it has a habit of either disappearing entirely, switching places with brown or being relegated to the zero-G sections, which contradicts "Grey 17 is Missing" among others where Grey sector (or at least part of it) has gravity and thus must be in the carousel. I think part of the brown/grey confusion stems from the cramped industrial nature of both areas, though Brown sector has been seen to contain businesses, hotels and an open marketplace.
    Brown sector, aside from switching with Grey half the time, keeps being refereed to as being synonymous with Downbelow, though there have been several instances where a "Downbelow" area has been seen to be in other sectors.
    Yellow sector is something else entierly, in that it's never mentioned on screen (as far as I can tell) and the background info seems to consistently have it encompassing the fusion reactor and sometimes the support structure, all the way down to the forward cargo stabilisers. Either way, strictly a zero-G area, however, in 'TKO', the Mutai and the surrounding area has yellow sector markings, which is a bit of a problem.

4. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Totally awesome!!! Never enough B5 stuff. The ship logos look perfect, and it's awesome to see the rank system fleshed out.

EDIT: Question regarding the sector map of the station...

I thought Brown Sector was the level closest to the "outer" hull of the station, hence the nickname "Down Below"?

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That is one of the many confusions I'm trying to clear up.
    On more than one occasion there is mention of there being more than one Downbelow, or a downbelow area was seen to be under red sector and yet as you can see, brown sector has been marked on both of the on-screen maps as being a large chunk of the station, not just near the outer hull.
    So it would appear that while Downbelow areas are usually close to the outer hull, they're not ALL in brown sector and that Brown Sector isn't just another word for Downbelow; it's just an underdeveloped area that was intended to be another Red Sector, but they ran out of money and couldn't finish it. Though certainly, Brown Sector does contain the very worst parts of Downbelow.

As for the ranking system, it's still not quite right. For the life of me I can't figure out how you're supposed to be able to distinguish between Lt & Lt Col, or for that matter any non-marine corps insignia below the rank of ensign.
    As a result I can't be sure what rank Franklin held.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Just two more this time. The Vorlon one might not look like much but it was a complete bugger getting all the tendrils right. I've got the Starfury squad patches done, I just need to figure out which "wing" patch each one corresponds to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BolianAuthor

Great work! The B5 station logo looks awesome, and aye, I bet it was a real pain in the arse, getting the Vorlon logo right. Damn, now I want to watch the show again.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

All ship logos this time: -
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    It can be tough finding good reference for these things! Still have the Heracles, Hermes, Cortez, Apollo, Churchill, Excalibur and Gideon's old Explorer on the "to-do" list, with a question mark next to the Cadmus & Persephone.

9. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Rev, you ever think about playing in the seaquest universe?

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Can't say that I do.

11. BolianAuthor

^

Sweet... are you also going to one for the Heracles, or did I miss it?

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

As I said, it's on the to-do list. I'm still trying to figure out what it's actually supposed to be. Looks like a bunch of white leaves...I think.

13. BolianAuthor

I always thought it was the head of Medusa... hmmm... I'll have to check.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

No, that'd be the EAS Medusa (see above.) ;)

Besides, if I remember my Greek mythology right, it was Perseus that beheaded her, not Heracles.

15. BolianAuthor

Ah, right you are... well, this is an excuse to watch the episodes again. :) IIRC, that was the ship commanded by Mackie, right?

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Mackie was captain of the Vesta, the Heracles had Dr Kelso off of Scrubs. ;)

17. Tara

Tara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When I was working on some fanart a while back, I was frustrated because I couldn't find a TOS Mirror Universe logo that actually matched the one onscreen in "Mirror, Mirror" so I ended up coming up with this:

[​IMG]

I found this thread, and thought I'd share.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  18. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Beautiful replication. Hace you tried replicating the ENT version as well?

19. Tara

Tara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not yet. I figured, since that's the version Pocket is using for the entire Mirror Universe line, vector art of it might already exist out there someplace... and I'd specifically been looking for the TOS version.

I admit, tho, the whole time i was working on it, I was thinking of this:

[​IMG]

(which for those of you who are confused, is from the Mirror Universe episode of The Middleman)

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

More movement of the B5 logo front.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]