Levar Burton, does not age

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, May 29, 2014.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just saw Levar on the news about his Kickstarter campaign and he looks exactly the same as he did in first contact. Shockingly he's 57!!

Patrick Stewart is another who looks much the same, what's their secret

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

They both have portraits of themselves by Basil Hallward kept in a locked room.

3. QuarkforNagus

QuarkforNagus Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well Geordie is black so he'll look younger than he is probably until the day he dies.

And Picard has always been bald. In other words, he's BEEN looking aged for quite some time now.

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

:wtf: :eek:

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

They have aged, and noticeably so.

6. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

um...oooops... :wtf:

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

On Community I would have guessed mid to high 40s if I didn't know better.

What's that about black people? I suppose if they don't have gray hair the signs of middle age don't stand out as much for color contrast reasons.

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Stewart started out playing a man about ten years older than himself - he was in his mid-40s when he started shooting TNG, and Picard was described as being in his mid-50s.

9. DataRules

DataRules Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Exactly! Stewart aged into the ages of the characters he played, which is why he doesn't look like he's aged much. He played older characters from the get-go.

10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe the expression QuarkforNagus is looking for is "Black don't crack". I heard a black woman say that just yesterday, in fact. It really does seem like a lot of black and Asian people stay relatively young looking for a long, long time, and then it all catches up to them at once. It isn't completely exclusive to them, though. Remember Dick Clark? :)

11. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This isn't going to end well. :eek:

12. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Calm down. There's nothing racist here - at least not from me. Just racial. Like saying that white guys are more likely than any other race or gender to be serial killers, or Hispanic people have larger families than other groups. Those are just statistically demonstrable facts. And there's certainly nothing derogatory about saying a particular race maintains their youthful appearance for longer than others. Personally, I wish I could have some of whatever causes that in a bottle. :)

13. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Burton already looked younger in TNG.

14. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Has it really gotten to the point where any statement observing demographic tendencies between ethnicities is automatically considered racist, even when no implicit value judgement is present?

Is the statement 'African Americans tend to be more susceptible to chronic hypertension' a racist statement?

16. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

Nichelle Nichols also looks amazing for her age. I mean yeah, she's aged, but out of all the original series cast (esp. out of those i've met recently) she's definitely showing the least signs of getting up there.

17. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Asians, Native Americans, Hispanics, and Pacific Islanders can also look much younger than their chronological age, as can a lot of Caucasians. I don't see anything racist in the observation, but it isn't really necessary to point out race in saying someone looks good for their age. ;)

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Why do we even need to mention "age" at all, instead of the much more complimentary, "s/he looks good!" minus qualifiers?

19. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Obviously, it's the VISOR. While left unstated, an ancillary function of the device is to emit a periodic stream of er, Hrumphs, that transversely penetrate the corneal membrane and, through a not entirely understood process, eventually permeate the vast majority of blood cells throughout the body. The process has been observed to foster a prolonged state of superior general health, harmony, and satisfaction in most humanoids. :techman:

20. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Many valid points. I guess I would sum it up this way. It's not what you say, but how you say it.