NCC-2541 is canonical

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by throwback, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I think it helps to see it from a different angle...

[​IMG]

... thing is, the Hood was given NCC-42296 as a registry later in TNG. Honestly, I think the main thing they were going for was not seeing anything that looked like NX-2000 in the stock footage.

2. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

^ Was that registry applied to the physical model itself, or just used for a source like the Encyclopedia? Just curiously mainly. :) It would fit in the somewhat wonky registry system used in TNG.

3. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

To my knowledge, the large Excelsior model only had the following applied to it...
    NX-2000, USS Excelsior
    NCC-2541, USS Hood
    NCC-2000, USS Excelsior
    NCC-1701-B, USS Enterprise
    NCC-42768, USS Lakota​
    The Hood's registry first appeared in a graphic in TNG and later in the Encyclopedia.

The model that Jein made had a few registry numbers applied over it's career, though I only have photos of it as the USS Excelsior (NCC-2000), USS Fredrickson (NCC-4211) and USS Excelsior (NCC-2000 put back with missized decals).

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There was also the Excelsior class Melbourne in DS9's "Emissary," which would either have been the original studio model or a model kit.

5. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Memory Alpha has an article on the Excelsior-class model.
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Excelsior_class_model

Summary of Uses
    The large model was used for the:
    * USS Excelsior, NX-2000, 3rd & 4th movies
    * USS Hood, NCC-2541, TNG Series
    * USS Excelsior, NCC-2000, 6th movie
    * USS Melbourne, NCC-62043, "Emissary"

A smaller model, known as the Jein model, was used for the:
    * USS Excelsior, NCC-2000, "Flashback"
    * USS Fredrickson, NCC-42111, "A Time to Stand"

The USS Hood was given a new registry in "Brothers" where it was listed with other Starfleet starships. (This information could change with the release of the Season 2 Blue Ray Set. There is a list of starships in "The Measure of a Man". I am hoping that some part of it is readable.)

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well, as Shaw already stated, the model was also used for the Enterprise-B and the Lakota.

7. throwback

True. The modifications which were meant to be temporarily proved to be anything but, which led to Jein building a new model.

8. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. You should have asked: "What number, if any, you can see here."

To me it could just as easily be 2391, for example. Without prior knowledge, there is no way to read it clearly.

In any case, why does this matter?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  9. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

It matters because the toy stuffed eagle is gonna claw his eyeballs out while he is sleeping if he doesn't get the registry number right. He just wants you to know what's at stake here.

10. throwback

If I was wittier, there would be a witty comment here.
    If i was sarcastic, there would be a sarcastic comment here.
    If i knew how to be humorous, there would be a comedic quip here.

<shrug>

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So it seems we have evidence for two Excelsior-class ships named Hood...?

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Nope, one ship onscreen with the name Hood and the occasional behind the scenes mess up on the actual registry that people argue about.

13. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't surprise me if NCC-2541 was part of the same production order as the Repulse(NCC-2544) and got despatched relatively early on in her career, thus making room for NCC-44296...

14. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

Yeah, I was going to say. Not a problem if one of them met with its demise or was decommissioned.

15. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

Also this seems like a stupidly trivial thing to be arguing about.

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The problem with that theory is that if there were two different ships, that would mean that the second ship would have been commissioned after 2363. It's doubtful that Excelsiors were still in production, and even more doubtful that a brand new ship would have a registry as low as 42296. It would most likely start with a 7.

Arguing about trivial things is what Star Trek nerds like us do all the time.

17. throwback

With these many inconsistencies, and with Starfleet personnel constantly tampering with the timeline, I have come up with my own hypothesis - these inconsistencies are the result of the timeline changing.

For instance, in 2364, there was a starship Atlantis with the registry of NCC-72007. Then, between "The Neutral Zone" and "The Measure of a Man", the timeline changed, and now there is a starship Atlantis with a lower registry. The people are no more the wiser for they change with the timeline, but, we the viewer, are aware of the changes for we exist outside their world and are looking in.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Or it's an unimportant background error.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^Or just a changed premise. It's no different than "James R. Kirk," and no one's rushing to create convoluted explanations for that. YMMV.

These listings will go into my ship list for completeness' sake, but I'm treating them as nothing more than curious oddities.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

A few people did, then a novel threw in a comment to say it was an injoke between Kirk and Mitchell, all was well.

NCC's however, aren't really worth that effort.