STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I understand that. But the references to old Trek (and sometimes _really_ old Trek) and efforts to maintain continuity with it are probably not directed at the average moviegoer.

2. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, it's interesting because I guess the mixture of perspectives was one thing they were consciously playing around with by having the film intersect with TWoK at a key moment.

For some people, it's completely new. For others, it might seem new at first, but their friend recognizes it, or whatever. For others there will be something like a faint sense of deja vu. Some might only become conscious of it when Spock screams.

I don't know if I personally *like* it, but I can see why they thought it might be an interesting choice.

3. ArcherFan501

ArcherFan501 Ensign Newbie

I knew this site would have all the best and most interesting and provacative reviews on STID!

Enjoyed reading them all -

I personally loved the film, but I could see where some may not......

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So when Khan says in the trailers, "I will have.. my.. vengeance." He's talking about the ship, right?

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Basically. All he did since getting out of the freezer was whining to Admiral Marcus. "I shall have my own Vengeance! Damnit!"

The next film will be called: STAR TREK into THE VENGEANCE OF KHAN. A two hour tour of Khan's Vengeance.

While we're at it. Where exactly did this film REALLY go "into darkness"? It's not darker than any of the previous Trek films.

6. Belz...

Well it wasn't particularily darker than the previous movie, but it does hint at a possible war with the Klingons, and a dark presence within Starfleet (not sure if Section 31 was shut down or not.)

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks. I was wondering if the novelization would have information not in the film. Sucks if that turns out to the best the case. This ship needs more of a permanent security chief, IMO, and I thought Hendorff fit the bill.

8. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"And as you can see we have chairs made out of the finest CORINTHIAN LEATHER in the Alpha Quadrant."

9. Belz...

Is that "cupcake" ?

10. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed it is. And I hope he survived as well.

11. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

It's truer than ever. At least in Hollywood's mind. Even the cuts to Avengers were made because "only fans will get this"

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Half the posts on this BBS are proof that the gap exists - the forum on any series, topics on any movie, posts about "the future of Trek" all manage to demonstrate repeatedly that hard core Trek fandom has different priorities than the vastly greater number of folks who just want to be entertained by entertainment.

13. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

My wife might be an example. Last night we watched TWOK and TSS back to back (thank you, STID!), and during TWOK she asked if this was after Khan worked with Starfleet... Yeah, she doesn't really pay much attention to Star Trek minutiae.

Although for some reason she knew what Section 31 was, and I still can't explain that as I don't ever recall her watching DS9.

Tonight is TVH! :)

14. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw this for the second time on Friday evening :D loved poring over all the lovely, juicy details again...

Going to see this for a third time as well...

:D It's that good!

15. Belz...

Me too. I like backdrop characters that we can recognise.

I kinda hope Carol Marcus will be back, too. I kinda miss Chapel and Rand, though.

16. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Hardcore" fandom represents only a tiny percentage of "fans," though. Not to mention that every fandom, of any kind, has the same mentality.

The discussions on the BBS, for example, are no different from any place else where fans of something congregate.

The majority of any given audience won't necessarily be an ardent fan of that particular franchise, but they will have been strongly connected to something similar at some point.

The majority of the audience is not minimally invested in their entertainment.

What each piece of entertainment is trying to do is spark that type of intense, non-casual interest. It's why a few years ago nobody knew what Game of Thrones was, and now everybody does.

Of course people who throw Game of Thrones costume parties will always be in the minority, nonetheless. Established franchises have "built-in" investment, which is why they are attractive. It's much harder to start from scratch.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the filmmakers clearly intend for Marcus to be available as a character aboard ship should the third story demand it. Probably a lot of that will depend on audience response to the character and to Alice Eve.

Frankly, the show can use a second woman other than some random walk-on like Rand or Chapel.

18. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Just back from seeing the film. Gave it an A-.

I think it had a decent story. They didn't give enough of a reason why Khan was a Sahib Brit (they could have put in a bit about Section 31 doing Facial and Voice Reconstruction surgery on him while he was under to give him a completely new identity in the 23rd Century). So Khan's backstory isn't quite laid out, and his need for revenge isn't quite as compelling as the Montalban's Khan was against Kirk Prime.

It may have been in an objective sense, but that needs to be laid out for the audience in dialogue, and it really wasn't. Weak Sauce.

Transwarp beaming? Why have Starfleet?

I was very satisfied with the philosophical case that was being made in the film against the militarization of Starfleet and the argument against preemptive war. The writers did do a good job implying that, with the destruction of Vulcan, the War Party appears on the ascendance in the Federation.

19. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

Nightowl posted this on the one year gap thread and i wanted you all to think about it.

he said
    since we all know that david was born in 2261 according to memory alpha, is there a remote possibilty that this could be true?

20. Belz...

It's a new timeline. All bets are off, methinks.