Product placement

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by JarodRussell, Sep 7, 2012.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anything, having a little bit of today's stuff in the far flung furture made it seem more real.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

ST IV had Mac computers, Pacific Bell and Michelob beer, and I don't recall too many complaints.

ST V had Jack Daniels' whisky, Kraft "marshmelons" (in a container you could receive as a mail-away) and Levi's jeans.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

6. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

God, how blantant can you get (Oh there it is!)? And all this time I thought I bought my C64 of my own unfree will! :lol:

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I sure hope there is!!!!!

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

To me as well. I would like to see companies make a futuristic look of their product - whichever product is 'placed'.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The only way it would work is if they travel back in time to the 2010s. :p

10. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

Yeah in the next movie I want to see them driving around in a Pontiac while drinking Crystal Pepsi on their way to shop at Montgomery Wards to buy a new Sega.

Just because we have something now doesn't mean it would last 200+ years down the road. With Star Trek IV at least they were actually in 1986 when they had the product placements. With STV neither Jack Daniels, Kraft or Levi was directly mentioned, just generalized versions.

I would prefer the movies stayed away from it. Hearing the Nokia ringtone from a Corvette did not add anything to the story.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have that Nokia ringtone on my phone now. It's not the same as the original, it's a slightly (futurized?) different version done for the movie as I understand it. Of course no one has ever said to me, "OMG is that the Nokia ringtone from ST:XI?!" but I enjoy it, LOL

If there is product placement changing logos etc.. to look like it's a future version gets my vote.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Product placement is a sad reality of movies these days. Sometimes its painfully obvious, like in I, Robot Will Smith's character just happens to be into vintage products from the year the movie came out. Sometimes a movie has fun with its product placement, like Snakes on a Plane.

13. teacake

I was sad about Budweiser surviving but I was able to let it go.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Easy to say, but it's not like they do it for fun. Without the revenue that comes from product placement, the studio could never afford to make a film as hugely expensive as a modern sci-fi blockbuster. So it's just something we have to accept as a necessary tradeoff for getting the movie made at all -- just like commercial breaks are the necessary tradeoff for getting TV shows made. (And more and more shows these days have built-in product placements because it's gotten so easy to fast-forward or channel-surf through commercials.)

It's not unreasonable that some corporations might survive a few more centuries. The longest-lived independent company in history, Japan's Kongō Gumi, lasted for 1,400 years. Various hotels and breweries and such have been in business for up to a millennium. The Beretta firearms company is nearly 500 years old, as is Cambridge University Press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

Still, I tend to feel that for an SF film, it would make more sense to have product placements for the likes of aerospace firms and computer manufacturers, or maybe biotech or energy companies, rather than something like soft drinks.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to which companies are willing to invest in your movie, so the filmmakers may not have complete freedom of choice about which products they have to work in. If you try to get IBM and Virgin Aerospace as financial backers but the best you can manage is Taco Bell and Geico, then you really don't have any choice but to posit a far future where Taco Bell and Geico are alive and well and haven't materially altered their corporate logos in centuries. (Although I think there are some cases where a film's production designers have been allowed to come up with new, futuristic logos that the advertisers actually used in their tie-in campaigns, with their approval, of course. I can't remember an example, though.)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  15. Nerys Myk

Did all the corporate logos/products ruin 2001?

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

No but it's weird seeing the Pan Am logo in a movie taking place in 2001 long after it ceased to exist.

17. Nerys Myk

Funny how "predicting" the future works. ;)

18. teacake

We can only hope our children laugh their asses off at Uhura ordering a Budweiser for the same reason.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

New companies can always come along and resurrect an old name/brand/logo/whatever.

If they have PADDs with Apple logos in STID, the irony may cause the universe to implode.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The article I linked to even described how it affects the screenplay because the companies come in and want to have it their way.