Taking questions for an interview with...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by tharpdevenport, Apr 19, 2010.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

TOS composer Gerald Fried!

What a super nice guy, too. :techman:

Will be taking them for two weeks, at which time I will turn them in to Mr. Fried.

2. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"What music and composers influenced your work?"

Thanks.
    Doug

3. tharpdevenport

Just a reminder: taking questions for about one more week, then I'll turn them in.

4. jwb

jwb Lieutenant Red Shirt

My question: Star Trek loved to track parts of old scores into new episodes. Did you ever watch an episode you had nothing to do with and realize, "Hey, that's my music!"?

-jwb-
    jwbraun.com

5. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

What did he think of Goldsmith's score for TMP and does he see that as the way Trek music in the future should go.

6. tharpdevenport

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

8. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Favorite composers: "Bartok, Copland, Stavinsky." Three of my favorites as well.

Is it too much of a stretch to say that the "Amok Time" fight theme has elements of all three, or am I falling into a placebo effect?

Doug

9. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Damn. I forgot to ask him how he defines his style and has it changed over the years or for different projects. I forgot about this thread. I guess he would say what we could all hear I guess, Stravinsky, Bartok, Prokofiev and Copland and fiercly and ruggedly American of the 50s and 60's.