Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

The only mention I can find about them finding footage for Sins of the Father is the 13 seconds of live action footage that were initially upscaled on the sampler disc.

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There were three shots of the Enterprise that were recreated with CGI for the Encounter at Farpoint sampler:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_193.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_198.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_863.jpg

Of those three shots, the first and third were located and inserted into subsequent episodes, including A Matter of Honor. The CGI saucer separation shot remains in Best of Both Worlds 2, but it has been improved.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x15/11001001_hd_355.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x20/heartofglory_hd_414.jpg

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x08/amatterofhonor_hd_142.jpg

However, when the Season 1 set came out, they didn't go back and reinsert the located model shots into Encounter at Farpoint - likely because they do one episode at a time, and don't go back once it's finished.

3. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Well obviously they found the shot in question since it's the same as A Matter of Honor. I do wonder if they've kept the CG version since it makes it a slightly different shot (instead of a total reuse of footage), and it corrects the perspective of the BOP. I guess we'll find out Tuesday, unless someone who has a review copy chimes in.

4. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Yes, CBS-Digital restored that element for S1's "Lonely Among Us" I believe.

The opening shot of "Sins" remains completely CG I'm sorry to say. The only changes CBS-Digital made to the episode were adding the 13 seconds in true HD and redoing the Act One titles with a deeper blue color and thicker drop shadow matching the rest of the S3 episodes. They also moved some of their positions because the tighter cropping of the episode put some of them outside of the title safe area.

This implies that the exact same thing will happen with "Inner Light." The opening shot will remain CG (despite being found) but the titles will be redone (and the typos fixed).

5. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

6. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Yes, thank you! I forgot about that shot and that it was earlier in the episode. Somehow I remembered it as the one directly following the 13 seconds, but that was regarding Kahlest and clearly HD on the sampler.

It's interesting how CBS neglects to include SD upconverted material that periodically appears on displays in the show ("Heart of Glory," "The Schizoid Man," "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II") in their upconverted footage calculations, probably because they're comped inside of true HD footage.

The Next Level sampler should have said approx. 17 seconds was upconverted, not 13. It'll be interesting to see how "The Mind's Eye" ends up with all those VISOR shots. They're a bit more involved than the same shots in "Heart of Glory" though, with lots of readouts and symbols, so hopefully they go back to the oneg and recreate the effect.

7. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree (though I think season 4 is far more consistent a season and Braga didn't join the writers until season four not the reported season three). After finally getting through all the episodes and most of the new VAM (though I haven't watched/ listened to any of the commentaries yet (the one I did on season two was awful, just too much time had passed, and getting prompted by the Okudas, terrible).

Its a steller release, and I am pissed that I had to return the sampler that was lent to me, back to whom it belong to. And due to unexpected medical bills it will probably three months are more before I can watch them again. AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  8. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ad is up on Target.com now! http://weeklyad.target.com/minneapolis-mn-55403/pages#25

This is the best deal I have seen for any of the season sets so far! I was on the fence about getting the BOBW disc but for $5 I am getting it for sure!!

I wonder if Amazon will lower their price to try and match this deal? Right now they still are charging $77 for the season 3 set by itself when at Target you can get both the Season 3 set AND the BOBW disc together for $64.99

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am seriously considering canceling the pre-order through amazon and taking advantage of this Target deal. I wasn't going to get the BOBW set, but right now I'm paying +$90 for just one set (Including the tax and shipping so I can get it on release day, and I'm not a prime member) but to only pay like 70 for both sets is a good deal. I thought Amazon would have lowered the price again but it doesn't seem like that will be the case.

10. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

You may try price-matching at Best Buy, as they've got exclusive VAM for the S3 set. A rep at my local store said they'd match it (including the $10 combo discount), but I made sure to get her name and title in case a different rep on Tuesday tries to say it isn't matchable.

11. tomalak301

Well, I was able to cancel the Amazon.com order and I called up best buy. The one in my area doesn't price match bundles but just the individual sets. Looks like I'll be buying both BOBW and Season 3 at Target and then using the gift card balance for Season 4 and 5. This may work out to my advantage afterall, unless Target does this again. It was just too good of an ad to not pass up.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Has anyone else noticed on that Target ad under The Best of Both Worlds it says 'DVD'? Though it does say Blu-ray when you hover your mouse pointer over it.

13. tomalak301

I did notice that. I was under the impression they weren't releasing these remasters as DVDs but blu rays only. :confused:

14. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

There is a very nice CGI shot in Booby Trap, the best yet. I wonder if anyone can spot it? :)

15. Trekfan76137

Trekfan76137 Ensign Newbie

So just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Best Buy about my preorder for both items. They agreed to price match the individual items, but not take the additional $10 off for purchasing both. Don't know if the VAM is worth the extra $10 at Best Buy.

16. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

Not all of us have a Target or Best Buy in the neighborhood, and my Amazon order says "shipping soon." I guess I will have to pay the higher price. :(

Update: Order just shipped for 77.99 (Amazon Prime member, so no shipping charges).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It has been mentioned on other forums. It's a typo since BOBW is not getting a DVD release anywhere else. There is no reason for CBS to release a DVD version anyway, which would only cut into the BD sales.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

For those getting S3 at Best Buy, make sure you at least get a price match with Target's ad and save $10.

Best Buy's VAM bonus feature is a download not on the BD disc. Also make sure the set has the sticker or you don't get the VAM.

19. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

I think you're talking about the flashes from the welding work on the under-construction Enterprise on the holodeck? That's very nice, and very subtle!

20. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it was a separate disc release by Best Buy I would probably go for it. But since its just an online release, and I have no idea how long available or if you can then permanently download it to your home, I will skip it.

At the Target price screw my health, I am getting it Tuesday.