Janeway returning to Trek Lit? (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 27, 2012.

1. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Finished mine the other day. Finally, she,s back!

Okay, how long do we need to wait for our next fix? :)

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And who is going to write it?

3. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

I'm hoping that Kirsten Beyer will continue to write Voyager novels for a long time yet, and from the looks of release dates of other novels, hopefully we can expect another one in the next year or two. :)

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't. And why should we want him back? Between nuTrek, new novels set during TOS, and the Shatnerverse, it's like he never really left anyway.

Meanwhile, I am sick and tired of characters coming back from the dead. It undermines verisimilitude.

I think you're reading more into that Delmore Schwartz quote than is there. For one thing, Soren in GEN was quoting Schwartz; The Eternal Tide is not quoting Soren, it is merely also quoting Schwartz.

For another -- why would they foreshadow that in a VOY book, of all things? The VOY novels are off doing their own thing; it's a completely unintuitive place to foreshadow that.

On top of that, it makes no sense to insert an epigraph into a novel that's more relevant to another novels. Epigraphs are there to shed light on the themes of the novel in which they are included, not to tease about other novels. That would be like having an epigraph relevant to Saving Private Ryan inserted into the opening scenes of Titanic; it just doesn't make sense.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Star Trek death is but a temporary inconvienence. (if you're a main character, if you're a redshirt you're screwed)

6. Sci

And that's the problem. It shouldn't be that way, and any time they resurrect a dead character, it perpetuates that impression.

ETA:

Now, hell, I'm not trying to be an absolutist here. There are occasions where a resurrection can work in so many other ways that it outweighs the problem of undermining the threat of death in the narrative. Trip in Enterprise: The Good That Men Do is one example of that, and Janeway's resurrection in Voyager: The Eternal Tide may be as well. (I haven't read it yet, so I don't have an opinion on whether or not her resurrection's virtues outweigh the problem of undermining death.)

But that means that when a creator does break the law of mortality and bring back a dead character, they should be that much more reluctant to do it again. It should be a rare and exceptional thing when that happens, and it should cost the characters or the narrative somehow. (I've often thought one of the brilliant things Star Trek III did was to offset the resurrection of Spock by killing Kirk's son and destroying the original Enterprise.)

ETA #2:

See this video on YouTube for a humorous discussion of how damaging it can be to a franchise when resurrections become common.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished it. I loved it.

8. teacake

Why would they kill Janeway off in a TNG book of all things?

9. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, messed up the quote bit, will try again.

10. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Two wrongs don't make a right. ;)

Anyway... doesn't he still exist in his own series? :)

11. Sci

Mostly because the VOY line had stalled out at that point, and the VOY characters, when they were appearing, were appearing as "guest stars" in other series' books. And that one, quite appropriately, featured Janeway, Seven, and the Borg.

But the TOS and the generic ST lines haven't stalled, so there's no reason for Kirk to be resurrected in a VOY novel.

It's just someone else quoting Schwartz, that's all.

12. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Because they could, I suppose, and the editors' attitude (no plans to bring her back) after KJ's death was published seemed to indicate that, IMHO.

13. teacake

Well I'm looking forward to seeing Kirk again, and I'm especially looking forward to scenes between Janeway and Kirk. That will be some serious banter baby.

14. teacake

I have ordered two more copies of The Eternal Tide. I am doing my bit Kirsten!!!!

Also, I got peanut butter grease stains on my current copy :(

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did you make out with the cover?

16. teacake

Well.. there was a lipstick incident as well as the peanut butter.

:alienblush:

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Save time.

Buy peanut butter lipstick.

18. teacake

For the last 18 minutes I've been sitting here trying to decide what shade a lipstick would be if it was called "Janeway".

19. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Something red, no doubt

[​IMG]

to go with the white she wears so well.

[​IMG]

20. teacake

And six months after Janeway the Lipstick is released they will release Janeway Noir, a burgundy metallic shade.

And teacake will buy Janeway Noir and wear it every day for the rest of her life.