Medal of Honor MP Beta

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Servo, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got my Beta code today, and I've just had a bit of a dabble on it for half an hour.

It actually feels like a cross between MW2 and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, which isn't a bad thing, it just takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you play COD a lot.

It's definitely more difficult to kill people, and there seem to be a few bugs in it. For example; on occasion, while I'm firing at a guy, my knife will just all of a sudden randomly swing, which either costs me the kill if I'm lucky, or my life if I'm not. Bit annoying.

I'm not too far off unlocking the Red Dot Sight, which is good cause I'm not a big fan of Irons.

So, anyone else playing?

2. Servo

Ok, so I've played it for over an hour now, and there a few things that bug the shit out of me...

• You can't go prone. You can only stand or crouch.
    • You don't get told the name of the player you killed, only the name of the one who killed you.
    • The random knife swing has become REALLY. FUCKING. ANNOYING.
    • People seem to be able to one-shot kill me, but no matter which body part I aim for, it takes me 2-3 shots to take them down. That's probably not down to the game itself, but I'm a veteran of FPS games, and a pretty good shot, so I don't get why I'm having difficulty one-shot killing someone.
    On the plus side, it looks pretty.

3. Servo

So, no-one else played this at all then?

4. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to, but no key. I've watched some other people play it and it looked nice enough though.

5. Servo

FilePlanet were giving away keys if you signed up for a free account with them. I believe all the PS3 and PC ones are gone, but you may still be able to get one for the 360 beta, which hasn't been given a start date yet.

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/medal-of-honor/

6. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

PC keys are gone, I checked this morning. I'm not going near a FPS on a console. :p

7. Servo

To be honest, mate, I don't think you're missing much. It's practically the same as Bad Company 2, but shitter.

I'll still pick the game up when it's released, but it will just be for the SP campaign. I'm not wasting any more time on the poor MP.

Looks like I'll be on MW2 until Black Ops comes out.

8. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, after hearing all the press shitting on it on the various podcasts, I'm not even going to bother.

It's funny, because apparently the arrogance surrounding the multiplayer game (we're taking it back, bitches!) has been off putting to a lot of these press people.

I'm mostly interested in the single player simply because they're actually setting it in Afghanistan and you fight the Taliban... but even then, I'm not sure how novel that will be if it ends up being just another military shooter campaign.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i couldn't take it seriously after all that crap about playing as 'Tier 1 Special Forces'. i was under the impression 'tier 1' was what the military call the most wanted bad-guys. EG bin Laden.

Just call them fucking Green Berets or Delta Force or whatever.

10. firehawk12

Tier One Operators is a real phrase though. :lol:

11. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

They're still smarting from "John Romero is about to make you his bitch." :lol:

And yeah, I'm done with these kinds of games.

12. captcalhoun

never heard of it before.

13. firehawk12

^
    I have... although it must have been in another video game or movie or something. Certainly in EA's PR, they talk about how they have Tier One Operators as consultants.

Jeff Gerstmann was so unimpressed with the live 24 player demo during E3 that it was funny... and during the Giantbomb Quick Look of the beta, he basically just said that you should just buy Bad Company 2.

The worst thing is that I'm sure DICE doesn't really give a shit and that they were told by EA to do this.

14. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yeah, "Operator" is a legit term. Using the Green Berets as an example, a soldier can be assigned to a Special Forces unit and be part of that unit but not be an "Operator". Operators are the people who earn their tabs (a patch worn on the upper left shoulder) that says Special Forces on it.

15. captcalhoun

yeah, i've heard of 'operator' before, but never 'tier one operator'.

16. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

I got in on the PS3 beta. Basically I agree with what's been said. Multi player is better then MW2 but BC2 is still the best. I was shocked when I saw the DICE logo roll across the screen. Guess EA is going to use two games to compete with COD.