Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Indeed, it'll even let you copy mobs and the contents of chests. Just tried it myself but wasn't quite happy with the results though so I'll probably try on a different seed, maybe even wait til snow biomes are fixed.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Does the current 1.8 have that insane "void fog" down near bedrock? Kind of wrecks the whole idea of building anything down at the bottom of the map, considering you won't be able to see it.

3. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They sort of fixed it. If you have a shaft to the surface, you can stand near it and see the entire area, like you could in previous versions. Start moving away from the light, and the fog starts kicking in. Its kinda wierd.

Is anyone having trouble logging in? Minecraft server has been down for me all night and I've been playing offline. I hope I didn't break anything updating my texturepack.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. Robert Maxwell

Nah, I noticed some issues connecting to minecraft.net, too. I think they're just having issues.

5. Rowan Sjet

I discovered I can destroy the bedrock and fly about underneath it in creative mode. It's pitch black down there now instead of the old blue and there's grey dust or smoke floating about.

6. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, that's the new void code, I guess. When you go below level 16, the blue fog turns black and your depth of view is curtailed. That's the black fog I was talking about.

7. Cutter John

Haven't seen an Enderman yet, although I have walked outside my cave in the morning and found the ocassional ender pearl. A bit creepy that.

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's something about going outside in the morning and finding piles of rotten flesh on the ground that's a little disturbing.

9. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i've got what may be a pretty simple question. if i was to use mods on a single player game will they automatically be used on a server? or will they just work in single player?.

there's a couple of mods that look interesting but i wont use them in multiplayer just single player as i know some servers dont like the mods.

or should i just use two versions of minecraft and rename one mod-craft or something for single player use

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

So, you essentially have to have some way to let the light in if you want to build something deep down, I guess? Well hell, they should have something that works better than torches and glowstone, perhaps electrical lighting.

I haven't toyed with 1.8 yet, but the latest version of the texture pack I use includes a zipline mod, whatever that is.

From what I understand, Alba, if they're things that modify the game world, they won't work in multiplayer, but if they're merely client-side like the minimap mod, you should be fine. If they're things that alter the gameplay significantly, unfortunately Minecraft has no way to distinguish them between multiplayer or singleplayer, so they won't let you on multiplayer. That's the disadvantage of having a single profile for both singleplayer and multiplayer. In the future, they could have singleplayer and multiplayer profiles allowing to choose what should be loaded in each profile, but that's not likely to happen until it's out of beta.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  11. Robert Maxwell

Taggart is right. If they add new mobs or blocks or items or anything of that sort, they won't work on a server unless the server has the same mod(s) installed. Server-side mods have to be done differently, so you can't just patch a single-player client mod into a server.

The way mods are done on servers, for the most part, is through CraftBukkit. CB doesn't allow you to add new items but it extends gameplay functionality, allowing mods for things like warps, fine control of mobs and items, permissions, grief protection, etc.

Maybe at some point there will be a universal plugin API that would allow a client to receive mod data from a server on-demand, but no such beast exists now.

12. TheGodBen

It seems that I explored more of my 1.8 world than I realised...

[​IMG]

It took almost three hours for MCEdit to import my new world into my old world because it was so big. Once done, I entered the game and found this:

[​IMG]

So I went back to MCEdit and deleted all the empty chunks I had created. Thankfully everything seems to be working now. That will teach me not to become attached to new worlds ever again.

13. Cutter John

Still can't connect to the Minecraft servers. Guess I'm gonna have to try reinstalling.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't worry, Cutter. It's probably just a result of the servers being overloaded from all the downloading going on. They've had similar problems in the past.

15. Cutter John

Well whatever it was, now that I've reinstalled, it works fine again.

Now to wait for Bukkit to update so I can get on the server.

16. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

/\ Yeah, I had the same issue too and a reinstall worked fine.

Although... I just created a new world and my spawn point was on top of a tree. :lol:

17. TheGodBen

New mob for 1.9:

[​IMG]

Presumably, they'll replace cows in the new mushroom biome. Hopefully this indicates more biome-specific mobs in the future.

18. Rowan Sjet

Must have fallen out of a plane, instead of the usual shipwreck!

19. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

That mushroom-cow thing looks freaky. I wonder if they'll still drop steak?

20. Cutter John

Mmmm steak with mushrooms...

Meanwhile on the texturepack front, the hell with rotten flesh. In my game, zombies drop these now.

[​IMG]

:D