Robert Englan'ds STAR TREK: YEAR FIVE CGI with original cast voices!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Mar 17, 2013.

1. 3D-Freemason

3D-Freemason Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re: Robert Englan'ds STAR TREK: YEAR FIVE CGI with original cast voice

I Animated the entire thing in 3DS MAX.
    Most of the Complaints here have been mentioned in the YouTube comments section and I have uploaded updates to show what changes are in the works. Body volume issues have been addressed by using dynamic cloth simulation for the shirts.

I used: 'Character Design Software' to help design a few of my 'Characters',,.. What's the problem with that? I've rarely seen anyone do more with these (base) characters than I have. Kirk is James base too (high-rez version)..
    BTW - I used no-one's 'morph targets' on anything. I sat for weeks and months on end looking at reference material of their faces and slowly carving my best attempt of each character.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. 3D-Freemason

''a real misinterpretation?''
    Static shots of characters 'listening to intercoms' would probably prompt the opposite comment from many a fickle & unappreciative fan.

3. 3D-Freemason

Thank You.
    I did it all on a single machine.

In a perfect world I'd have at least 2 computers (LOL) and more than just 'Spare Time' to do all this.

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I fear there has been some misintrepretation of intent.

I merely tried to guess what you may have employed to create the final product. If I was wrong in my guesses, then obviously my eye is not as keen as I thought. There's no "law" that forbids the use of pre-existing content unless that's a peronal philosophy you chose to impose upon yourself. If everything was from "scratch", well, all the more power to you. I just thought I recognized elements and I thought I'd try to guess what they might be.

I take it that YouTube commenters have been generally insulting? Sadly, that seems to be the state of things there. Some have taken the MST3K "riffing" philosophy to a very cruel degree. Someone can't even post a clip of a kitten producing a funny "meow" without some schmuck screaming "animal cruelty!" or similar idiocy. It's enough to make anyone suspicious of any feedback.

Sincerely,

Bill

5. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Whatever You Tube is saying, this is one of the upcoming Fan Films (or series) I most hope succeed. What you have released is remarkable and I hope for more to come!

6. 3D-Freemason

Nice, I've never been happier to have been mistaken! I looked at other comments by you and I'm like "This guy is clearly balanced and well liked, what did I do??" > LOLOL <
    I do plan on Thanking Mylochka (and a couple others in the 3D Trek community) in my final End Credits for both inspiration and idea sourcing that led me to optimized solutions (like Uhura's opacity mapped hair). However I generally re-make things I need with my own mesh, textures etc. if for no other reason than to try to up the quality of the end result a bit.
    Also my original bridge (mesh) will be credited to ''B.J. West" (although I spent many weeks giving it Animated Textures and Soft Shadows, etc).
    I consider myself first and foremost, an Animator and Visual FX Artist. Modelling is not one of my favorite things to be sure, I'd rather be trying to breathe life into something! Although I welcome you to check out the small update I posted to show new walk cycle work (I know,.. whew...!) and the new Sickbay Set Lab etc. (which I plan to donate to the Trek mesh community in due course):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svuHr300KxI

(although I rendered the above before creating the new dynamically simulated Cloth Shirts I now have on the Characters.) In this clip (below) is the new Cloth and a funny little dialog interaction (I 'made') that the actors themselves would Never remember having! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4osKZXiuPDg

We see a lot coming up,
    There is an inter-dimensional away mission at the end of this episode! Kirk goes a little insane due to a very unusual environmental property! (that's what the audio in the clip above is from, an extended sequence in which... oops... No spoilers! )

I'm doing my darndest but now that I'm backing up with animated scenes completed, but no machines 'just for rendering', it's frustratingly slow going... I'm considering a KickStart campaign, either for just this episode, or all 16 that I have planned (plus the 3-4 additional 'Alternate Universe/Reboot episodes I now have the source material for...)

Thanks Bill!

7. 3D-Freemason

Thank you! It is very inspiring to hear that. While i'm proud of what I have created, I am making a lot of good changes to the look to address obvious problems like the body volume issue and walking animation. (see the clips I pasted into message to Bill above).

I'm considering doing a KickStart campaign either to complete just this episode or for the entire 16 Episodes I have planned (plus 3-4 'Alternate Universe/'re-boot-Re-Boot' ;) episodes I have the source material for).

My plan is to touch up part One (basically the first 15mins. of the first 45-minute episode) then use that to make the 'KickStart' happen. Any ideas or constructive comments you or the Trek BBS community have will be most welcome. Whether to attempt to fund just "Beyond Antares", then use that full episode, to fund the other 15(or as many as 19) after? Hard to decide..

At any rate, I plan to use whatever I can pull together:
    to buy equipment, hire additional Animators and pop these episodes out as quickly and as high quality as possible.
    >>> I would Love to up the quality exponentially and go Photo-realistic with sub-surface scattering of light and Renderman renders etc. If that ever becomes possible, that will become the plan! ;~)

Thank You again for your support!

Robert@StarFleet.com

8. 3D-Freemason

For those interested This is a link to the first 10 minutes of this project I have re-created as a True Stereoscopic SBS 3D HD clip. (especially if you have an EVO 3D phone or Nvidia 3D-Vision. Not as good with Red/Blue glasses)
    With NO Depth of Field and slightly different 3D 'friendly' camera angles this is my experimental exploration of the possibility of making my project fully 3D or at least making a 3D 'version' of each episode, as most things seem come out in both formats these days. The separation varies a considerably as I was testing what works with what and why,,..
    Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sleY7hmsYOY

Robert@Starfleet.com

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  9. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

I haven't seen all of it yet but, based on the first few minutes I think you've done a great job.

I've wondered for a while if we would ever get to the point where we could take audio samples from things done years ago and create all new projects with it through CGI.

Naturally, these characters as you've created them aren't "lifelike" in that there's no mistaking that they're computer animation. Still, I think it's a great first step toward the future for something like that.

Keep up the good work.

10. JT Perfecthair

JT Perfecthair Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

11. Barbreader

Part I is completely redone. You really have to watch it from the beginning! Still excellent!

12. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

I'd also like to put my comment in here:
    Excellent work!
    Where it is goofy, it is intentionally so, as we clearly can hear from the audio work.

The animation, and regarding that it's done by a single artist on a single computer? Just remarkable!

Thanks for 23 minutes of Animated Star Trek so far! Looking forward for more.
    Waiting is surely not the issue here!

EDIT: And in this new edit I couldn't detect anymore the irritating "voice over comm but person in front of the audience". So, well done!

EDIT2: In the beginning, some voice-overs are buried under other audio-effects... but still, this isn't a finished product, so it surely will be redone in time.

13. Barbreader

For anyone who didn't read the text he is asking for donations for a second high-end computer so he can put this stuff out faster.

14. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed it a lot. My only criticism is Spock's look, creepy. But over all, wonderful!

15. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

It looks to me like he used a male head on a female neck, and yes, it does look a bit creepy. Good story though.

16. Yosef Lindell

Yosef Lindell Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is really cool in many ways. I really liked the part where Kirk is filming his voiceover in the studio.

But has anyone else noticed that the story is not original at all? This is actually the mission "Voids" from Judgment Rites. There are pieces taken from other parts of JR and 25th Anniversary, as well as other places and episodes. Yet the vast majority is from Voids.

17. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I hadn't noticed because I'm not familiar with the game, but I had expected it to be made up of the missions from the game(s). It just made sense.

18. Yosef Lindell

It's actually the same exact story as Voids. Just some additional dialogue was added.

I'm not trying to criticize. It's really good work. But it's not a new animated Star Trek story.

19. Yosef Lindell

20. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Yes but the games 25th Anniversary/Judgement Rites are LONG out of print and even though they are on YouTube they are largely forgotten. This was the last time, after The Undiscovered Country, the ORIGINAL cast of the show recorded new stories set during their famous mission.

You can tell the age of the actors as they do sound older but that doesn't matter - but turning the game into these animation Robert is technically piecing together new episodes to watch rather than play. It is certainly more interesting to look at than the gameplay itself.

People will find Beyond Antares and be amazed. And there's 16 more to come - no it's not a full NBC season but we could end up with SEVENTEEN 45min CGI episodes with the original cast so it's darn close.